What LEGAL job is underrepresented on the server?

Coburn

2 hours ago, TinyPotato said:

lets suggest a bunch of jobs that aren't fun/interesting to RP because we want other players to be our NPC's for us

lets suggest a bunch of european nonsense because we cant just accept we're RPing in america and have to insert our shitty eurotrash values out of context because we refuse to adapt

this is a based take, dont @ me

16 minutes ago, Mecovy said:

someone please do an accountant, or just something. WHYS THERE NO ACCOUNTANTS MAYNE. now there's an IRS i need people to get me off of taxes as best as possible, smh

Just call Ritterberg & Associates 

Edited by eTaylor
5 hours ago, Mecovy said:

someone please do an accountant, or just something. WHYS THERE NO ACCOUNTANTS MAYNE. now there's an IRS i need people to get me off of taxes as best as possible, smh

When there is a structure to support a type of roleplay, they will come. What can accountants do without tax legislation or the IRS?

15 hours ago, mj2002 said:

When there is a structure to support a type of roleplay, they will come. What can accountants do without tax legislation or the IRS?

I'd say that there is an untapped market in something related to accounting in the sense of financial advisors: people who help rich people invest their money effectively to create profits, or manage their accounts. It'd actually be an interesting profession: you need contacts, know-how and there's a degree of risk, as well as the possibilities of doing it entirely by the book or through illegal investments.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/17/2021 at 1:07 PM, Koko said:

I'd say that there is an untapped market in something related to accounting in the sense of financial advisors: people who help rich people invest their money effectively to create profits, or manage their accounts. It'd actually be an interesting profession: you need contacts, know-how and there's a degree of risk, as well as the possibilities of doing it entirely by the book or through illegal investments.

Well, the purpose of accountants is to keep your books up-to-date so that the IRS doesn't flip you or your business over. That's the main purpose. They can also do tax write-offs and make some strategic decisions to boost revenue, but it's mostly about taxes or some sort of way your business is over-spending or losing money. There are many types of accountants but that's usually the bulk of their work.

In-game, we don't have any need for accountants. Most businesses' cash flow is as basic as it gets - the only expenses are the employees, stock and rent and the only income is the government bonus and sales. We don't have accounts, no one checks accounts, we can't write stuff off because we don't pay taxes, the "IRS" isn't active yet nor will it do audits, from what I know, so there really is no point.

And investments, I don't think that'd work.

36 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

It has been done before. It isnt easy, but what makes you think it wont work?

I know some people have done it but that in itself is a very niche business idea, can be done by very few people and the clients are, again, very few.

But the reasons are similar as to why we can't have a stock market on the server, or do any high-level financial role-play.

• There are too few businesses and the ones that do exist are too small to even warrant an investment - would it be realistic for someone to make a hefty investment into a mom-and-pop shop or flower store.
  • The vast majority of businesses are very short-lived (and the respective characters too), so it's likely that you'll invest a lot of money into a business that will get you little to nothing, you might get your original investment back with nothing (or not much on top) and that business will be inactive or close down within a few months.
  • It's something that doesn't require much role-play or development, it's mostly just handing out money and receiving payouts.
  • There are very few characters that are able to make decent investments in the first place (as a job, not as a favor or such), in a wide range of company in order to create a portfolio. Even if you do this, you can't really calculate any risk or assess whether a business will be profitable or not. There are way too many issues, but all in all, it's a business with little to no role-play that's (almost) solely based on making as much money as possible.
  • Most businesses don't make nearly enough money in the first place - you can only make so much. For example, if you run a bar and make $50,000 per opening, pay $10,000 to the bartender and $10,000 on components and stock, you're left with $30,000. If you give out 20% (which is quite a bit), so $6,000 per opening, you'd need ~34 openings to get a $200,000 investment back. Say that the bar opens up twice a week, that's more 68 weeks, so a year something. And a bar is a good way to make money, most businesses don't make as much.

That's just my opinion, anyway. Do you think it'd be a good idea?

Edited by Mahitto