What LEGAL job is underrepresented on the server?

Coburn

It takes a lot of effort to create something new & keep it interesting. I don’t think we’ve had a shortage of innovative ideas, it’s just the player base seems infatuated with clubbing and refuses to deviate & support other businesses to the same degree.

It’s has to be extremely demoralising for a player to come up with a new idea for a business, put in all the effort to have it mapped, only to open it and no-one attend, instead preferring for yet_another_club_01.

Until players branch out in their RP and realise it’s in everyone’s interest to support a wider variety of businesses, it’s hard to see much change to the status quo.

• Upvote 2
30 minutes ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

It takes a lot of effort to create something new & keep it interesting. I don’t think we’ve had a shortage of innovative ideas, it’s just the player base seems infatuated with clubbing and refuses to deviate & support other businesses to the same degree.

It’s has to be extremely demoralising for a player to come up with a new idea for a business, put in all the effort to have it mapped, only to open it and no-one attend, instead preferring for yet_another_club_01.

Until players branch out in their RP and realise it’s in everyone’s interest to support a wider variety of businesses, it’s hard to see much change to the status quo.

This.

Everytime I see a different business (bookstore, cigar shop...) I go there, and you always feel that in the owners. They appreciate so much when you invest a bit of your time and money to support them, because hardly anyone ever does.

I do not blame players for not wanting to be frustrated and just sticking to what the rest is doing.

• Upvote 1
53 minutes ago, Cardinal said:

Office / White collar jobs.

Problem with this is that there's not a lot of need for many office jobs, and they're not particularly fun to RP. An office environment might be fun if you make it into more of a social hub and with a take as a mini faction inspired by stuff like The Office, but ultimately the work aspect itself is irrelevant and it'd just be some guys in an office messing around.

Types of white collar jobs that might work could be things like accountants/finance advisors that try and invest a client's money and bring in profit, but I think that the temptation of it becoming a wasteland of scammers would ruin the prospect.

57 minutes ago, Cardinal said:

Creative jobs such as photographs.

This already exists for people who can use tools like Menyoo, to some extent, be it as freelance photographers (paid by clients usually to take pictures for things like social media) or in companies (modelling agencies, entertainment companies etc.), and it could definitely be expanded on.

6 hours ago, Engelbert said:

Tattooing.

People just aren't interested, honestly.

I had a tattoo artist character that would take a few hours over multiple sessions and almost 95% of them either flaked out before their appointment or went AFK. On top, I'd actually make a modifcation of their tattoo, so they could actually use the tattoo in their games.

The other 5% was such a cool experience for both artist/customer. Tattooing is actually a great bit of RP where you get to pick apart a character and really delve into their story, find out about what their character has gone through, their experiences, their life story.

People just want to get in, get out.

Shoutout to @Thirteen for trying to bring some realism to the tattooing RP scene on the server where walk-ins were rare, bookings were often no-shows and people would argue about paying a fee on-top of the menu prices. The majority just weren't interested in sitting there for more than 10 minutes and it's a shame.

I'd love to see businesses be required to actually keep logs of their transactions or get IRS'd. It would make business owners actually manage/concern themselves with taking care of their business.

I've heard so many horror stories of businesses not paying their staff and just "RPing" it and that it's atrocious (Even signing a contract and not honoring the payment) just so they can inflate their own bank account and buy nice houses and cars / often abusing the /startshift mechanic to generate their income.

If there was an actual need for accounting for every dollar that goes into your business, you wouldn't see this shit happen. I've tried to bring a very realistic approach to my current business - we have monthly paychecks, holiday and sickness pay, a budget we stick to and employee benefits that they can use throughout the city and it's instantly made it more fun as I have to manage the monetary side of things.

Edited by lux
  • Upvote 2
33 minutes ago, lux said:

People just aren't interested, honestly.

I had a tattoo artist character that would take a few hours over multiple sessions and almost 95% of them either flaked out before their appointment or went AFK. On top, I'd actually make a modifcation of their tattoo, so they could actually use the tattoo in their games.

The other 5% was such a cool experience for both artist/customer. Tattooing is actually a great bit of RP where you get to pick apart a character and really delve into their story, find out about what their character has gone through, their experiences, their life story.

People just want to get in, get out.

Shoutout to @Thirteen for trying to bring some realism to the tattooing RP scene on the server where walk-ins were rare, bookings were often no-shows and people would argue about paying a fee on-top of the menu prices. The majority just weren't interested in sitting there for more than 10 minutes and it's a shame.

I'd love to see businesses be required to actually keep logs of their transactions or get IRS'd. It would make business owners actually manage/concern themselves with taking care of their business.

I've heard so many horror stories of businesses not paying their staff and just "RPing" it and that it's atrocious (Even signing a contract and not honoring the payment) just so they can inflate their own bank account and buy nice houses and cars / often abusing the /startshift mechanic to generate their income.

If there was an actual need for accounting for every dollar that goes into your business, you wouldn't see this shit happen. I've tried to bring a very realistic approach to my current business - we have monthly paychecks, holiday and sickness pay, a budget we stick to and employee benefits that they can use throughout the city and it's instantly made it more fun as I have to manage the monetary side of things.

Yes, well I always told people, that if they can rp robbing someone or rp hanging out in a bar, they can also rp getting tattoo'd. Yes it may take up to 60 minutes or even longer, but that is because we always wanted to be realistic. For a full sleeve, sitting for 40-60 minutes there and conversing or something is not really that demanding. In real life getting a full sleeve means several visits to your artist each no shorter than 120 minutes. So I don't think we asked, that much. Thing is, that people only focus on what THEY want to do, not what others want to do. Another thing is, that I roleplay having rules, which often deters people from actually considering getting a tattoo. In character I demand a client to be of age 18 or above, the tattoo design must not contain any known gang insignias or general gang stuff, like a tear below their eye. Which is what many people ask and I always found it funny, a group of teens stepping inside, what looks like a pretty expensive shop and asking for an EBK tattoo on their neck. Not to mention, that my character always asks for consent and legal/medical disclaimer signature. Which may look more complicated in the eyes of others, but that's what I portray, a tattoo artist for stars. So last thing people tend to frown upon, is my price. I ask least 4-5000 for 40-60 minute sesh.

Edited by Engelbert