New economy update : QoL improvements?

Nervous

17 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

This is true, a police officer can't see your bank account in the MDC in real life.

It should, however, be added for detectives or whoever will be tasked with investigating financial crime - bodies within PD/SD, as far as I know. It should be rank-restricted it works on the MDC.

I don't even think detectives have access IRL without directly requesting the information from banks, cellphone companies, employers etc. I still think it's def something that should go through Judges / DA's for practical reasons. That would take any work of admins providing it and still keeping it fully IC. 

Edited by Moonsong
10 minutes ago, Moonsong said:

I don't even think detectives have access IRL without directly requesting the information from banks, cellphone companies, employers etc. I still think it's def something that should go through Judges / DA's for practical reasons. That would take any work of admins providing it and still keeping it fully IC. 

They need to make a request to the relevant court with a compelling reason for it to give you certain data, and even so I have my doubts, because the government entity specialized in that is already in charge of these things, the banks send your bank movements every year to that government entity, and they are the ones who seize your account or execute the arrest warrant if the crime of tax evasion is serious, for example.

23 minutes ago, Moonsong said:

Yeah, but we can't compare this exact aspect to real life because in real life, the police doesn't investigate financial crime. There's the IRS, SEC and other government bodies that do. But we don't have any of those here, as Management said that an IRS-like faction won't be created and that financial crime will be investigated by units within PD/SD. So if we consider that these units act as GTAW's counterpart to the IRS, they should have the same powers as the IRS does.

I do agree it would be nice to see some cooperation between the agencies (DA and PD/SD) but I don't know what to say. I don't know how the IRS get their hands on your financial records (via subpeona's, contacting the banks etc. or they have direct access) but even if they don't have acess, I'm afraid that it will not really be in anyone's benefit if detectives had to ask the DA for every bit of information - investigations already take way too long due to OOC factors, we'd just be adding more unnecessary wait times.

As a detective I am 100% against giving detectives access to financial logs, an IRS or government agency should be the ones with access to their logs, alternatively; LEOs should be able to subpoena financial institutions for financial logs. I also am of the belief that financial institutions should be player run!

4 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

Yeah, but we can't compare this exact aspect to real life because in real life, the police doesn't investigate financial crime. There's the IRS, SEC and other government bodies that do. But we don't have any of those here, as Management said that an IRS-like faction won't be created and that financial crime will be investigated by units within PD/SD. So if we consider that these units act as GTAW's counterpart to the IRS, they should have the same powers as the IRS does.

I do agree it would be nice to see some cooperation between the agencies (DA and PD/SD) but I don't know what to say. I don't know how the IRS get their hands on your financial records (via subpeona's, contacting the banks etc. or they have direct access) but even if they don't have acess, I'm afraid that it will not really be in anyone's benefit if detectives had to ask the DA for every bit of information - investigations already take way too long due to OOC factors, we'd just be adding more unnecessary wait times.

I didn't even mean it like that! No transactions, just the ability to find characters and their routing numbers... Nothing related to finances other than the account numbers.

3 minutes ago, Amellis said:

I didn't even mean it like that! No transactions, just the ability to find characters and their routing numbers... Nothing related to finances other than the account numbers.

And why and how would they access this information at will through a MDC? 

1 minute ago, eTaylor said:

And why and how would they access this information at will through a MDC? 

Just as we can see people's phone numbers and addresses but not what's in any of them... 

I'm happy to take any of this to private messages or a discussion, but the topic at hand isn't to discuss this, I'll add another one to compensate for this comment: Allow Pay-As-You-Go phones to take bank money or some way to add funds to them.

28 minutes ago, Jennie said:

They need to make a request to the relevant court with a compelling reason for it to give you certain data, and even so I have my doubts, because the government entity specialized in that is already in charge of these things, the banks send your bank movements every year to that government entity, and they are the ones who seize your account or execute the arrest warrant if the crime of tax evasion is serious, for example.

Local/county police only accesses bank data through warrant(/subpoena) affidavits.

There's a federal government reporting requirement for certain transactions made at a bank. For example, if you deposit more than $10,000, the bank has a duty to report that transfer to the IRS (Or another gov authority, not sure.

Since we don't have an IRS, and absolutely shouldn't get any agency on the federal level due to unfixable complications with the justice system it'd create, it's better that, if such a system is to be implemented, it's done on a state level through either a new IRS like faction (but a state agency, not federal), or through PD/SD with dedicated divisions/units.

• Wuhtah locked this topic