Black friday!? FOR CHARITY!

Nervous

I would love to see a charity that focuses on Suicide Prevention for Men considering 70% of suicides are of male gender and this is a topic that isn't touched on a whole lot. I'm from Canada so unsure of any charities within the European Union that focuses on such.

Nonetheless, glad to see the server taking this step to being a helping hand to a charitable organization.

I haven't read this full thread, so I don't know if this has already been mentioned.

I would appreciate a response from Nervous, since this appears to be his idea, rather than just guess answers from others or staff.

Why is only half of the donated money going to the charity? In the spirit of charity, it should be all of it, or at least a larger percentage than 50% - are there hidden overheads that we are unaware of? This event has raised a significant amount of money so far, and I find it crazy how half of that goes straight into the pockets of the staff/whoever gets paid. 

I think it's a great idea, I'd just like to see all of the money, or a lot more of it, actually making it to the charity we chose - I don't particularly think adding a few cars and some donation options to a website/the script/the server/etc justifies being paid an extra several thousand euros that you perhaps wouldn't otherwise normally have. 

• Upvote 3
18 hours ago, Joseph Tarano said:

I haven't read this full thread, so I don't know if this has already been mentioned.

I would appreciate a response from Nervous, since this appears to be his idea, rather than just guess answers from others or staff.

Why is only half of the donated money going to the charity? In the spirit of charity, it should be all of it, or at least a larger percentage than 50% - are there hidden overheads that we are unaware of? This event has raised a significant amount of money so far, and I find it crazy how half of that goes straight into the pockets of the staff/whoever gets paid. 

I think it's a great idea, I'd just like to see all of the money, or a lot more of it, actually making it to the charity we chose - I don't particularly think adding a few cars and some donation options to a website/the script/the server/etc justifies being paid an extra several thousand euros that you perhaps wouldn't otherwise normally have. 

Because this isn't a direct payment to the charity you're doing, this goes through the company first and then to the charity as signed with the NPO.

1) We're still providing you a service that should be paid to the company, so it would be normal to pay something to the company. If you're checking around internet, most websites doing similar things for black friday only give back from 1% to 5% of the price you pay to charity during black friday. We give back 50%.

2) This is 50% of the DIRECT PRICE you pay, not 50% of the benefits! Let's take the 100€ purchase : on this we have to pay 20% VAT, then the payment provider fee (2-3%), then the company tax of 33%. Yes, this is more than 50% we're talking about. On top of that you'll also need to add people who chargeback their payments (~5%) in the next 2 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2