Language 'Flags' - aka. True language barriers.

McTiddies

TL;DR Description:

Adding a true form of language barrier in game to allow for tight knit communities to talk amongst themselves in privacy and to prevent potential metagame, encouraging nationalities to actually matter in terms of community and communication.

Detailed Description:

So, what do I mean by the title? It'd be a simple thing where, players, when creating a character, could choose a "secondary language", let's go for example, a Japanese character, you simply select "Japanese" as your secondary language, so now, when you're in-game, when you do a certain command (mentioned bellow) it'll switch you to the language your character knows, so anytime you speak, to you and others who also have the same language spoken will see, for example:

Akiro Kobayashi says in Japanese: Hello there! How are you doing today?

And those that do not speak the language or don't know it, will only see:

Akiro Kobayashi says something in Japanese.

This command would affect in general, just speech, so regular typing, low speech or even whispering, but if the effort was put in, it could also be used when talking into the radio.

How would this be regulated? - I'd say that any player is entitled to one "secondary language" per character, allowing for new characters to have a secondary language attached to their nationality or background of choice, only way they can get additional languages could be by applying for it via the forums, with a detailed explanation as to how/why they would know it. Alternatively, of course, much like phone number changes, plate changes, it could be a one-time paid feature to allow for one of your characters to know a third language, or a fourth, and so on. That of course would be up to the developers and/or staff to decide.

Relevant Commands:

/language [ID/Language]

(Used to switch between default English & other languages, so for example: "/language jap" or "/language japanese" switches you to Japanese, and to switch back just do "/language" or "/language none")

How will it benefit the server?:

Simple - For one, it will give players a form of 'privacy' within tight knit communities, for example, a Russian group can freely talk amongst themselves without others around knowing what is being said, giving a true immersion sense of a language barrier. 

It also doubles as a metagaming prevention method, currently the way others convey speaking in their character's native or known language is through adding a simple indicator at the start of their speech, of course this works, but it can be easily metagamed at any time.

Suggested and denied. Languages are just too nuanced. For example I dont speak russian IRL but i can easily pick up basic few works as they match my language. Same applies to other panguage groups.

a lot of languages have common words and therefore such a system woudnt work.

humans and languages are much more dynamic than it appears to be

• Wuhtah locked this topic