Would like to see more radical political roleplay

kronosa

Hmm and as shown a few posts ago, there is another issue which is self-awareness, IC and OOC'ly speaking. 

The people I mentioned in my earlier posts KNEW why being sexist is unethical, why a gang like theirs would be sexist, how it would affect them (negatively but also positively*), which biases it involved, etc. As a consequence it was well-portrayed, which made it interesting during the RP itself. But also, it was clear it was *just a character* and *just RP*. From an OOC point of view, it was very clear they weren't fans of it, but were kinda constrained by how their characters were affected by their upbringing and history. They, the player, knew their character was an asshole and why - and it allowed them to portray it really well and keep the RP pleasant for everyone 🙂 Which is saying a lot about them as players: they are being bigoted assholes IC'ly, and yet the scene is really cool. That's pretty amazing ^^

Issue is, it requires a lot of work, a lot of self-awareness, an ability to not fall into the "hero of the story's always right" trap, etc. This isn't something everyone has, as illustrated a few posts above. Some people choosing to portray those kinds of characters will be kids trying to be edgy, or people who are unironically sharing neo-fascistic views. This lack of self-awareness is annoying when you have it on a "hero complex" character who wants to be the center of attention all the time. It's exasperating when you have it on a "mafia cliché" kinda character who plays a Sopranos parody. But on a full-on neo-fascist/nazi character, it would really be toxic as all fucks. ^^'

* While unethical, sexism can be a politically advantageous tool in some gangs - and the other way around, not being an asshole around women can be seen as a sign of weakness. It's dumb, but it's how it is :x 

Extremists groups are banned under the faction rules and should remain that way, I saw some ANTIFA bullshit RP when browsing some older things and it was just superbly cringe ANTI GRUPPE 6 ''movement''. It's bad enough we got ppl who just use this server to fullfil their OOC sexual fanatsies, I don't want OOC fanatics fullfiling their Reddit dreams here, nah, just a big nah.

• Upvote 1

Radical? No way. That's one easy way to bring more trolling to the server. You'd have many more people role-playing as who knows what equivalents of Stalin or Mao than you'd have people portraying realistic people with actual radical (or even extremist) views.

I would, however, like to see more political role-play that involes people. Individuals, families and entire communities are often involved in the local, state-wide and federal political scenes in real life, whereas we have little to no involvement whatsoever here, besides some casual political activities and characters. I'm yet to find someone portraying someone interested in (GTA World) politics who is not a politician.

I’d actually like some politics of any kind.

This isn’t a slight at gov, because it’s out of their control but Im of the opinion that LFM suspending elections is probably one of the worst decisions and backward steps for political RP the server staff have made.

This removed a huge portion of political RP.

Political RP was at its best when Halford and other politicians were out in the community lobbying for votes and making their campaign pledges - when communities would have the politicians over and have politicians answerable to the people. It was one of the few times I’ve seen legal RP flourish outside of nightclubs and bars - dozens of players would gather and meet / talk to their potential candidates etc.

With LFM suspending elections, we’re no longer representative of the US and instead in some pseudo dictatorship where senators are neither democratically elected or representatives of the people.

So we’re now in a position where characters can join GOV and create laws that they’ve no democratic mandate to do, and having spoken to a number of senators, something they’ve no power to fix.

@cxn

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

This isn’t a slight at gov, because it’s out of their control but Im of the opinion that LFM suspending elections is probably one of the worst decisions and backward steps for political RP the server staff have made.

I'm in high agreement here.

"Contact your local representative" is fair and well, but irl it works both ways- and once ever so often the local rep will contact you (personally or indirectly through ads), as he'll need your vote.

1 hour ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

politicians were out in the community lobbying for votes and making their campaign pledges

I have no idea why some people underestimate the importance of this for the political scenery.

Elections create dynamics and, most of all, give politicians a mission besides haggling with each other over acts that are often cosmetic:

Pretending to plan what the voters want so they'll vote them. Or  even doing so if it's not too ridiculous.

One problem I've seen with election rp in the past is that specially in settings directly competing for seats between individual candidates, it's immanent that some people out of a very small group won't see their efforts rewarded (as they'll not be voted in office).

Obviously excluding people interested to contribute based on such often causes frustration and beef- this, at the latest, is the point where people tend to take it ooc all too often ("the election was rigged" by politician characters is, well, overused 😉 ).

A simple fix here would be a voting and government system that leaves losing parties or candidates with lesser offices respectively a minority of seats in the senate (which could be formed appropriate to the last elections and adapted in total size to fluctuation of active political characters).

The german model of additional mandates in the Bundestag to balance out differences between total voter count for parties and directly elected candidates might not be that ideal and lead to media crying over an overblown self-feeding senate, but it might just be what could be useful for our political system...

Some admin deleted my post, I thought that wasn't allowed...anyways.

I would like to see it happen, if it's done right. 

But you need to realize no matter how good YOU RP it, everyone around you won't RP it properly. You need to remember, people are still RPing British here and it's a huge quality problem. If that wasn't your issue, everyone else crying telling you no for no logical reason would be your problem. 

Like I said, it'd be how everyone else perceives your RP around you. You might not troll/do wrong, with the RP - but everyone else you engage with, might. 

On 11/1/2021 at 3:52 PM, Kowboy said:

Extremists groups are banned under the faction rules and should remain that way, I saw some ANTIFA bullshit RP when browsing some older things and it was just superbly cringe ANTI GRUPPE 6 ''movement''. It's bad enough we got ppl who just use this server to fullfil their OOC sexual fanatsies, I don't want OOC fanatics fullfiling their Reddit dreams here, nah, just a big nah.

Just because you don't like it IRL and it's cringe, doesn't mean the RP can't be high quality, done right. 

Do I agree with skinheads IRL? No. But do I mind if it's done in a right fashion? No, because it is done right. 

A huge problem with this server is people tend to RP their in real life emotions and not a character, they RP their real life self.

You are not your character. If you are  British IRL, your char. doesn't have to be. 

On 10/31/2021 at 9:58 AM, Trupiano said:

I was literally typing out "The community can't even handle skinhead gang without having an episode"

Why? Are people that sensitive IRL, here? 

Treat GTA:W as a book. You write the story, you read other people's stories. 

Edited by Ronnie two poles
  • Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Ronnie two poles said:

Why? Are people that sensitive IRL, here? 

Like I stated in my original comment, I don't think we can boil it down to people being just too sensitive. A lot of the people I see become agitated by the existence of skinhead gangs are European. I think this plays a huge role as unlike you or I (I believe your American Ronnie) WW2 and Nazism isn't just something that happened in a far off land, it's something that dramatically effected your family, your community and your nation. 

Taking that into account, I can understand why someone would be shocked or confused by just how much Nazism and it's attached iconography is not only used but embraced by a noticeable percentage of the US population. I think the middle ground we have now where White power criminal groups are allowed but white power political groups are not is good for everyone. If you've got a problem with the criminal groups existing, tough shit because anyone who's actually researched them can tell you the symbols are just symbolism and they are 100% money motivated not race motivated. But I can't see the political groups adding anymore good RP then the unavoidable can of worms allowing them would open.

• Wuhtah locked this topic