Would like to see more radical political roleplay

kronosa

1 hour ago, kronosa said:

I would really like to see more political roleplay outside of governmental politics, especially radical politics, such as far left groups like anarchists, antifa, communists etc, or far right/alt-right groups such as ultranationalists, neo-nazis etc. Of course, the crimes that these groups would be able to commit are very limited, but the emergence of /solely/ political groups would really bring a fresh breath of air to the server's roleplay.

Thoughts?

Not interested. If you want to make a grassroots organization? Go ahead, but ultimately it always plays out the same way, and it becomes the breeding ground of throwaway troll characters, people who use the excuse of radicalization to do all sorts of stupid shit, and to RP extreme scenarios for the sake of the edgy factor. Besides, I'm not going to lie: in a game that includes people from all corners of the world, from all ends of the political spectrum, and from all ends of the LGBT+ range, having radicals around just so they can laugh on Discord and clap while they yell slurs on the internet at people who might be seriously troubled by them is not worth whatever RP it might generate.

Most of it is always disingenuous anyway, and the US is hugely bi-partisan. I'd be more for a more modern approach for things like the far right, like an alt right trying to dogwhistle and sound more "reasonable" instead of people shouting f-slurs.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, peasoup said:

I guess disruptive white supremacists are fine when the trolling is just a side gig to the meth dealing...

I was literally typing out "The community can't even handle skinhead gang without having an episode" but here's just a prime example.

People act like this whenever the skinhead gangs come up even though there is endless documentation and evidence that the criminal element of skinhead gangs are money motivated, not race motivated. Imagine the shit show that would arise if actually race motivated groups started showing up. I'm not gonna lie though, it's peoples fault for not doing research but I can understand a predisposition towards this subject. This is a European community and I don't think I need to explain to anyone Europe's dark history involving the far right and far left of the political spectrum. I also know we'll never be able to explain to people with this predisposition how the beliefs, iconography and motives of said groups have remained a part of the political conversation in America.  

It's just best for everyone to leave it how it is.

Reading a lot of the conversations on this thread, I say just keep it light-hearted, don't take it too far and ultimately create roleplay for everyone involved, don't make it about spreading an agenda or polarizing players on an OOC level, find an IC reason to protest, organize it, get it going. Keep it light and fun.

37 minutes ago, UTOPIA said:

Reading a lot of the conversations on this thread, I say just keep it light-hearted, don't take it too far and ultimately create roleplay for everyone involved, don't make it about spreading an agenda or polarizing players on an OOC level, find an IC reason to protest, organize it, get it going. Keep it light and fun.

Exactly. Many of the potential issues that people mentioned here are existent in other fields of roleplay as well, especially in criminal/illegal roleplay. In fact, imo each type of roleplay has its own potential problems, so instead of steering away from a specific type of roleplay just because of the potential issues, I'd rather just work to make the roleplay more enjoyable

2 hours ago, latenight said:

There are like 2-3 white supremacist factions which also get involved with politics. It feels like they fill that gap up pretty well for me.

which supremacist factions are politically active?

it’s a common misconception that skinhead gang members are the same as politically motivated skinheads. For the most part, skinheads with strong political views dislike the sort of skinheads you see on rp servers, because they are motivated primarily by money - not the race.

To add a bit more: 

I'm not sure we really need to give in-game encouragements for them to make their OOC bigotry bleed more within the game. 

I've had a few occasions to interact and RP with existing groups who are on the server right now, and who are racist, migogynistic, ... while the peeps behind the keyboard weren't. The RP was great, the interactions interesting, it was very clear there was no mixup and the guys were really cool to play with. I'd say it's a good situation, that doesn't need to be worsened by some artificial encouragements given to the kinds of players we'd rather see on another server ^^' 

yeah nah I already deal with that shit in my everyday existence in the US. I really don’t want to be pelted by pickup truck convoys armed with the latest in paintball technology both ingame and in real life

also red hats are not controversial ingame I’d rather not change that 

let’s try to keep the bare minimum of escapism

unless the political extremism is like, droughts and the water crisis. Or about farmers. Anything than what’s currently front and center irl.

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic