Jump to content

Prevent robbing of priceless items.


KaythPlus

Recommended Posts

I get where @KaythPlus is coming from. Robberies occur way way too frequently on this server, and while that's an IC issue, getting personal items stolen despite them having sentimental value only gets annoying. So you either leave the items in your property (who irl in Los Angeles has to leave their wedding band at home every single time they go out for fear of being mugged?) or you give into the cycle of replacing said items just for them to be stolen again.

 

I've honestly given up on buying or gifting any items of sentimental value. Yes, it does take away from RP unfortunately, but these illegal rpers don't seem to take that into consideration. 

Link to comment

Stop crying about IC issues, you dont want that ring snatched off your finger? Put it in your house, simple. And if said item is so valuable to you stop carrying it around every where you go, its that simple.

Edited by Mellowhype
Link to comment
32 minutes ago, Mellowhype said:

Stop crying about IC issues, you dont want that ring snatched off your finger? Put it in your house, simple. And if said item is so valuable to you stop carrying it around every where you go, its that simple.

 

Thank you for this post. It sums up the mentality I've been trying to tap into to prove my point in this thread. These players aren't roleplaying, they're playing Rust on GTA:World. 

 

 

Edited by Sush
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Mellowhype said:

Stop crying about IC issues, you dont want that ring snatched off your finger? Put it in your house, simple. And if said item is so valuable to you stop carrying it around every where you go, its that simple.

That's not the problem here. The problem is that you could wear some old necklace for years, for an entire lifetime even, and never get robbed. That's what makes passing engagement rings down from generation to generation possible. On GTA World though, if you're active, you won't make it a month without being robbed and when you get robbed, you're left with nothing. I've never heard of real thieves stealing a scratched small necklace, an engagement ring, or a small old coin before though.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Mahitto said:

That's not the problem here. The problem is that you could wear some old necklace for years, for an entire lifetime even, and never get robbed. That's what makes passing engagement rings down from generation to generation possible. On GTA World though, if you're active, you won't make it a month without being robbed and when you get robbed, you're left with nothing. I've never heard of real thieves stealing a scratched small necklace, an engagement ring, or a small old coin before though.

" I've never heard of real thieves stealing a scratched small necklace, an engagement ring, or a small old coin before thou"

There's dedicated burglars that break into homes ONLY to steal jewelry, to then either pawn or melt it for cash, all the time, in the U.S... In fact, they ONLY target jewelry and cash simply because it's A) Easy to Carry and B) Easy to find for a quick snatch and grab. In fact, the dedicated, full-time, and experienced burglars ONLY target small items such as cash and jewelry. The foolish ones will try and thieve your television.

People snatch chains off of people's necks in the hood, on the daily. Some even snatch your shoes, out of all things.

Where do you even live?

Edited by DLimit
Link to comment
25 minutes ago, DLimit said:

" I've never heard of real thieves stealing a scratched small necklace, an engagement ring, or a small old coin before thou"

There's dedicated burglars that break into homes ONLY to steal jewelry, to then either pawn or melt it for cash, all the time, in the U.S... In fact, they ONLY target jewelry and cash simply because it's A) Easy to Carry and B) Easy to find for a quick snatch and grab. In fact, the dedicated, full-time, and experienced burglars ONLY target small items such as cash and jewelry. The foolish ones will try and thieve your television.

People snatch chains off of people's necks in the hood, on the daily. Some even snatch your shoes, out of all things.

Where do you even live?

 

Not talking about jewelry here, as this post was about the more meaningful but not necessarily valuable stuff. Take, as an extreme example, a wooden carved ring - no one would steal that in real life, while thieves here would. 

 

We're also not talking about such robberies, but rather all of them. People usually check your inventory and take everything, regardless of the circumstances. That wouldn't happen in real life as thieves wouldn't know your "inventory", nor would they be interested in everything, plus they'd be in a hurry and probably have a billion hormones flowing through them.

 

Couple that with how frequent getting robbed is, the problem here is that a character can't have a meaningful item to keep long-term and build a story around ICly because it'll either get robbed off their person, from their car or from their property within a month, two tops.

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

 

Not talking about jewelry here, as this post was about the more meaningful but not necessarily valuable stuff. Take, as an extreme example, a wooden carved ring - no one would steal that in real life, while thieves here would. 

 

We're also not talking about such robberies, but rather all of them. People usually check your inventory and take everything, regardless of the circumstances. That wouldn't happen in real life as thieves wouldn't know your "inventory", nor would they be interested in everything, plus they'd be in a hurry and probably have a billion hormones flowing through them.

 

Couple that with how frequent getting robbed is, the problem here is that a character can't have a meaningful item to keep long-term and build a story around ICly because it'll either get robbed off their person, from their car or from their property within a month, two tops.

Report those people are poor portrayal and fear R.P.

Poor portrayal for taking a valueless wooden ring and non-fear R.P. for undergoing the extra steps to steal a wooden ring rather than doing a quick "Snatch & Grab".

Your post, though, mentioned a scratched necklace, an engagement ring, or a small old coin. Two out of three of those items would be robbed, 90% of the time, by your average robber. The coin? If it's of value and quick to snatch? Then it'd be taken.

Packet of gum, though? Highly unlikely.

Edited by DLimit
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, DLimit said:

Report those people are poor portrayal and fear R.P.

Poor portrayal for taking a valueless wooden ring and non-fear R.P. for undergoing the extra steps to steal a wooden ring rather than doing a quick "Snatch & Grab".

Your post, though, mentioned a scratched necklace, an engagement ring, or a small old coin. Two out of three of those items would be robbed, 90% of the time, by your average robber. The coin? If it's of value and quick to snatch? Then it'd be taken.

Packet of gum, though? Highly unlikely.

 

That's not the point - an RPQM usually takes months, time by which your item is most likely gone and whatever you had going with it has been long over - that if your character (or theirs) is still in use. "Report it" is a quit way to end any discussion, but if that worked, these people would've been reported and we wouldn't have these issues. On top of that, most robbers wouldn't even find such stuff (whereas they do in-game, as they show up in the list), or would be too afraid or have too much adrenaline to conduct a thorough search, and many other factors. Even if, the chance of getting robbed on GTA World is infinitely higher than that you would face in real life.

 

The idea is that as it currently stands, you can't develop any sort of history around specific items. I don't support forbidding people from taking items by some artificial OOC barrier, but I do think that something has to be done about this, as it makes role-playing around specific items on the long term literally impossible. Even if you take it IC, the chance of you finding your item(s) is inexistent. We shouldn't trade quality role-play around these items for random, usually low quality robberies which are already a huge issue.

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

 

That's not the point - an RPQM usually takes months, time by which your item is most likely gone and whatever you had going with it has been long over - that if your character (or theirs) is still in use. "Report it" is a quit way to end any discussion, but if that worked, these people would've been reported and we wouldn't have these issues. On top of that, most robbers wouldn't even find such stuff (whereas they do in-game, as they show up in the list), or would be too afraid or have too much adrenaline to conduct a thorough search, and many other factors. Even if, the chance of getting robbed on GTA World is infinitely higher than that you would face in real life.

 

The idea is that as it currently stands, you can't develop any sort of history around specific items. I don't support forbidding people from taking items by some artificial OOC barrier, but I do think that something has to be done about this, as it makes role-playing around specific items on the long term literally impossible. Even if you take it IC, the chance of you finding your item(s) is inexistent. We shouldn't trade quality role-play around these items for random, usually low quality robberies which are already a huge issue.

You do realize that you still have to file a report if people commit crimes in a crime-free area OR if people were to steal "forbidden items", correct? You'd still have to do a refund request, as-well. The people that conduct these poorly-done robberies aren't the experienced players that are familiar with OR abide by the rules. They're the ones that disobey rules. Rules won't reduce reports, it'll only increase them.

Rings and other jewelry are easy to find, though. If one isn't hiding them in their crotch or shoes, then it'd be found after checking one's pockets in twenty seconds, max, let alone seeing it on one's finger or neck. For a person to shove his hands in four to six pockets, it'll take twenty seconds. That's a good enough time for a robbery.

P.S. I'm talking about things like rings and necklaces. Why would one even walk around with one in their pocket, any way? Why would someone walk around with such valuables in a city with a high-crime rate? I don't wander the hood with my grandfather's pocket-watch in my pocket.

Edited by DLimit
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Mahitto said:

That's not the problem here. The problem is that you could wear some old necklace for years, for an entire lifetime even, and never get robbed. That's what makes passing engagement rings down from generation to generation possible. On GTA World though, if you're active, you won't make it a month without being robbed and when you get robbed, you're left with nothing. I've never heard of real thieves stealing a scratched small necklace, an engagement ring, or a small old coin before though.

 

You've never heard of ''real thieves'' stealing jewelry? Thats crazy. Your point?

Link to comment
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
  • Create New...