Prevent robbing of priceless items.

KaythPlus

Detailed description:

Simply add a rule that adds some form of protection against priceless items, now I completely understand that people are going to immediately brand me as a total goon for suggesting we add an OCC barrier to criminal activity, and proclaim that it might be total nonsense to rule against robbing such items. As for criminals, it makes no logical sense for them to not take that expensive ring sitting on your finger.

The issue is, items that in reality, seriously for me and the large majority if not all of my friends would not get stolen from us in an entire lifetime; are stolen within a couple weeks on world despite not loitering in areas where such crimes would be prominent. Simply due to the small playerbase and the fact that places such as Integrity Hotel, Mirror Park, Vinewood, and almost everywhere on the server are all breeding grounds for robberies and home invasions makes owning any form of priceless possession impossible long-term.

We already have unrealistic rules such as the 5,000 Limit yet admins will always typically rule that possessions like rings, necklaces, etc are not included in that limit. Now, I've had none of my items stolen recently, in fact an extremely good stash-info protected all of my items in the last robbery. But that's not the point at all, it's the fact that I know if I have any form of ring on my finger, necklace or anything showing and visible; I will be mugged within week or two if my character so much as interacts with the public in any businesses.

Commands & Items to add:

No commands, merely a rule

How would your suggestion improve the server?

It would actually make owning possessions realistic. Cars already get stolen weekly, your cash already gets robbed every couple months. We're in a constant state of robberies considering how low the player count is compared to the reality. The fact that a possession that you'll typically have untouched your whole adult life is stolen within a month or so on world is a little absurd.

Conclusion

My suggestion isn't to outright ban this form of robbery, but we need some middle-ground somewhere. Like an item price limit, or even making it so random ass robberies cannot take items such as custom items — and make it thus that only planned, or targeted robberies can do such. At this current time, you're a fool if you hold anything that is valuable on you.

Suggestions such as using replicas, not having them on you, and so on do not serve to fix the root cause of this problem. They're just bandaids on the issue that robberies being so unrealistically common on an individual person basis that for each individual owning anything long-term is laughable.

Edited by KaythPlus
  • Upvote 2

Got robbed once before, always remember it. Had  a lighter tagged with $10 and chewing gum tagged with $10 I bought from up Paleto. Robbers demanded I handed those two items over. Lmao. Don't think it'll get passed and I think there's better solutions anyway.

I can't really support this. I feel like if a robber is asking for unrealistic things during the course of the robbery, that might potentially be worth reporting on a case-by-case basis, but other than that? Items are just there for RP. If the robbery RP itself is valid, items are just part of it man. 

I guarantee you if you're wearing a Rolex watch in real life and you get mugged, your ass is probably going to lose that Rolex, and just like that you lost thousands of dollars. You might potentially have insurance on that watch, but that's just realistic. If your character can't afford to wear expensive jewelry out, then don't. In real life people who own really expensive jewelry but who are not particularly rich will often only wear that expensive jewelry for very special occasions. That's why we have something called "costume jewelry" for everyday wear. 

Even though I'm very critical of robbery RP, I have to admit that I don't think it's reasonable to "protect" some items just because they have sentimental value to you ICly or OOCly. If they're that valuable, your character should protect them better--keep them in a safe, or hide them with a detailed /stashinfo location. 

I will, however, drop a link to this: 

35 minutes ago, Ink said:

I can't really support this. I feel like if a robber is asking for unrealistic things during the course of the robbery, that might potentially be worth reporting on a case-by-case basis, but other than that? Items are just there for RP. If the robbery RP itself is valid, items are just part of it man. 

I guarantee you if you're wearing a Rolex watch in real life and you get mugged, your ass is probably going to lose that Rolex, and just like that you lost thousands of dollars. You might potentially have insurance on that watch, but that's just realistic. If your character can't afford to wear expensive jewelry out, then don't. In real life people who own really expensive jewelry but who are not particularly rich will often only wear that expensive jewelry for very special occasions. That's why we have something called "costume jewelry" for everyday wear. 

Even though I'm very critical of robbery RP, I have to admit that I don't think it's reasonable to "protect" some items just because they have sentimental value to you ICly or OOCly. If they're that valuable, your character should protect them better--keep them in a safe, or hide them with a detailed /stashinfo location. 

I will, however, drop a link to this: 

Don't get me wrong, I completely see your point, it doesn't make much sense. Though, it also doesn't make a whole lot of sense that we have a money cap for robberies. Yet it has been there to serve a very solid purpose, because its not the fact that you have to be in a certain area, at night-time being totally clueless to be robbed. You can be in the upper-end of the city or Mirror Park, or in Integrity Hotel right besides a main highway, in broad daylight. And guess what? You'll get mugged sooner rather than later.

The fact that muggings are not only a hundred fold more common than in reality due to limitations on player count vs reality, but also the fact that they happen absolutely everywhere at every time of day makes avoiding them just a statistic at this point and an extremely high one as of lately. Not everyone, sure but a good chunk of people can expect to live their life without being mugged once.

I could care less about losing upwards of 100k ingame, I genuinely don't have a single issue with the loss of cash in the server, my character would be genuinely upset and there would certainly be IC issues, but when you have priceless items that are pretty much irreplaceable and have solid back-story built in-game around them. Be it as simple as wedding band, a necklace with a loved one inside, anything; the sheer potency of muggings becomes an issue.

Does it happen in real life? Sure. Will the typical person be mugged tens of times throughout their lifetime? Nope, not without terrible circumstance or living in the totally wrong end of town.

Edited by KaythPlus
  • Upvote 1

Not supporting this. The items are on your character, they can be stolen. I've been robbed IRL and they took something really personal for no reason at all, and I was very sad about that because there was no reason for them to take it. I didn't call IRL admins for it, I just handled it in life. It's IC.

• Wuhtah locked this topic