Amend Rule 12) Crime-free Areas to allow PETTY crime.

joshua

Rule 12 is currently really vague in it's description

It is not permitted to commit crimes or to provoke players within crime free areas. However it is allowed to continue the crime if the roleplay was initiated somewhere else.

By this description, it means NO crime at all is allowed in these areas:

• Government buildings (such as police and fire stations, the prison and city hall).
  • Banks (ATM's not included) 
  • Airport
  • Customization feature (the player is considered INSIDE the building)
  • Ammunation area

I personally think this should be amended and clarified to allow for general petty or lower level crimes to take place (no felonies or violent misdemeanours).

Examples of this being trespassing, or vandalism. These crimes are generally roleplayed well, as they're not typically solely performed by people looking to farm scripts, provide bad roleplay or just play-to-win. It's usually the opposite, those that roleplay people who do these lower level crimes, usually deliver excellent roleplay that provides more for others.

Let's say I wanted to go spray-paint a wall at Mission Row police station (something that is more than reasonable IRL in America given the current mindset), I'd technically be in breach of rule 12 and an admin could ajail me. Sure, I understand FELONIES shouldn't be allowed, but these general non-violent misdemeanours should be allowed and I think it'd help aid roleplay.

While I can see your point and am behind updating rule 12, some petty crimes in these areas people tend to /report for permission and supervision. When it comes to robbing in particular, this is already stated in rule 10.

"Smaller and "in the moment" robberies can be conducted without an approved IFM request. Admin permission and supervision is still required for these, /report to get it. Example: Robbing an open 24/7."

Given this rule, it makes sense that more petty crimes below robberies even should work the same way.

I'm conflicted, but I think that the rule should stay as it is. Even in your example, it's still not alright - it's not exactly realistic for people to vandalize walls or vehicles around a police station, or a bank, where everything is covered by cameras, and neither is pickpocketing or other smaller offenses. Sure, someone will definitely do something like that but that's the exception, not the rule, and we shouldn't promote exceptions unless they're constructive or helpful - in which case, they could simply get permission to do so.

If anything, /report and ask for permission, but adding an exception to the rule would only push people to commit such petty crime in these areas. It's not only unrealistic, but it might also spark up something that's totally unrealistic.

• Upvote 1
50 minutes ago, Rubbish said:

Isn't the hospital a crime-free area too?

It's not listed but I remember being specifically told by an admin that no crimes are permitted there also.

pretty sure hospitals would fall under government buildings as in SA they're all government owned

Not supporting this. There's already enough nonsense that goes on around safezones, if anything the rules need tightened not relaxed. Police not being able to protect government buildings isn't the fault of the police but due to the limitations of a game environment. If something happened at a police station irl, cops would be there  immediately because realistically there are always cops in a police station. But in game, there's no real reason for them to hang around there for too long when most of the roleplay they get is out on patrol. Similar could be said for government buildings where security is a priority.

That's why there are rules for safezones because realistically, these areas cannot be policed and monitored IG 24/7. In real life they would be. That said, rule 0 allows for admins to use discretion when it comes to petty crimes around safezones anyway, whether it's a small fight or heat of the moment vandalism. If the escalation is realistic and the situation merits it, I see no reason why an admin wouldn't allow it. I've seen it plenty of times infact.

TLDR; No this suggestion isn't needed because it's already possible via rule 0.