Replace the criminal points system

Kipps

Short description:

Remove the criminal points system and replace it with the equivalent of a CK application that certain legal roleplayers (i.e. judges?) can complete if they want to argue that a specific character deserves life imprisonment.

Detailed description:

Like anyone who uses this server for 14-hour esex marathons and to hang out at clubs with the avatars of my Discord friends, I hate criminal roleplayers. They steal my expensive cars and RPQM report me when my Japanese influencer character disarms and executes them with her concealed carry weapon (her dad was in the Yakuza and trained her from birth).

However, I can still admit that the criminal points system is not currently fair or functioning as it should. I will outline why below:

1) It discourages people from sticking with a character. This is bad because characters become more interesting over time as their history expands, they build networks and their players get to know them better. We should have more characters like this, but this system discourages them.

2) It punishes people who aren't necessarily reckless. Eventually, you're going to rack up 30 points no matter how careful you are. Because this is GTA and not real life, people are going to amass points relatively quickly even without being provocative or careless. 

3) It isn't stopping Deshawn Deagle and the East Side Excess Apostrophe Crip Mafia from doing lots of dumb shit. These people are too stupid to assess the risks and they're too swayed by a culture that equates deathmatching and OOC bragging with good roleplay. You can't fix them with rule changes - you need to go after the culture that's perpetuated by their faction leaders.

4) It does nothing to address the British characters on the server who should be marched to the shores of San Andreas and drowned.

5) The new system (proposed under the above 'Short description' section) can be applied more deliberately in the right circumstances.

Commands to add: None.

Items to add: None.

How would your suggestion improve the server?  It would remove an unhelpful system that contributes to demotivating criminal roleplayers.

Additional information: 

Edited by Kipps
fixed syntax.
  • Upvote 19
  • Thanks 1

I think all of the issues, sans the British issue is actually encompassed by point 3 about culture in factions.

I don't think we should dissolve the criminal point system. Because it does eventually catch up with the the people who aren't necessarily going on murder sprees but are still committing significant crimes. Just not ones that would land them in prison for life.

Now I will be the first one to say that when a criminal gets busted for a multiple murder, that point system gets swung like a big hammer. I've seen people go from zero points to nearly 100 for a single event. But - it was something that would've landed them in prison for life at the very least, death row in most states.

If I remember right, they put the points in, because the three strikes rules on an RP server is pretty steep considering how reckless most people are with their characters. Even if there is a revamp to the criminal point system, I don't actually think that a CK App from the courts is the way to go about it. Simply because I see that in turn as a wave of appeals that's taxing an already taxed admin team.

The penal code is insanely light on punishment as it is because most of the players on this server see going to jail in character as an OOC punishment. I think one of the things with the point system they were hoping would happen would be that longstanding characters who found themselves in jail for life would RP in the jail, thus stocking it with people and nixing the complaint from people about jail being dead. But, with the ease of name changes for not very much money, that whole system, from the criminal points to the jail RP encouragement gets washed out right then and there. They get busted. They don't log on to a character for 14 days or however many it says in the rules after you've been convicted and then they name change. And then instead of having Generic Gangbanger #1 of the Always Be Hustlin' Super Mafia Blaster Boi Crippity Doos, they've now become Generic Gangbanger #13 of the Always Be Hustlin' Super Mafia Blaster Boi Crippity Doos.

So if it were me, and I was a decision maker on this server, which I ain't, I would say that you're not allowed to name change a character that is in prison. You can delete them and with it go all your assets that I'm sure they've accrued over their character's life. But you don't get to start fresh with an AK that you looted off your buddy in the middle of a shoot out with the High Ballin' Ripper Comma To The Top Gushin' Bloods. That's the crux of the issue.

So I think what I'm saying is, it should be tightened up further. And people shouldn't be as reckless as they are, or just accept that when they're doing all the dumb shit that would land them in jail, their character is destined for jail.

• Upvote 2
  • Wuhtah locked this topic