Discord&Closed Communities Leading To Mediocrity(?)

latenight

I don't know how to eradicate this issue. It's been around since the beginning of time (as far as GTA roleplaying goes, per my experience anyway). It's everywhere though, I mean, look at PD prior to it's forced restructuring.

But, it is realistic in a sense that it's not what you know, it's who you know. Yes, it's not fair to have OOC relationships influence IC actions, but it's really hard to stop that. I think however you dodge a bullet by being pushed away by these factions - they're no good if this is how they operate. Cliques are scary.

On 10/29/2021 at 3:15 AM, orca112 said:

Part of the reason I stayed away from gang roleplay or similar sorts given the sheer toxicity and drama around it. No roleplay quality can excuse taking a deep dive into a toxic waste container. Now the drama, elitism and toxicity you will eventually have everywhere no matter if (il-)legal faction, no matter what, albeit the seeming pinnacle has always been that mentioned area of roleplay servers such as LSRP and GTA:W; DM videos, LARPing like gang bangers IRL/on forums/discord/voice, OOC beef, IFC and all the jazz.

Best is to keep interactions on discord to a minimum or within moderated channels/servers and just do your thing you have fun with rather than endulging in friend circles and ultimately being dragged into ongoing or future drama you do not want to be part of. Groups come and go and so do factions. One group may leave, another emerges. In an ideal world, factions would slowly form through in-character interactions. Small friend circle into crew growing into a larger organisation. Unfortunately this is rarely the case and I have yet to see a gang establish themselves from scratch solely through in-character means and development without any OOC influence. Given this will not happen, nor any official ways to organize and "gather" people for a roleplay concent and idea, we end up in this current limbo stage for new players where established groups are a closed circle and new players are either to eventually weazel their way in, form their own circle and start something new or be left behind looking for other opportunities and roleplay avenues than they may initially wanted to.

This, this is a massive problem - people take RP wayyy too personally especially in gang roleplay, there has to be this IC/OOC divide or else it just becomes a shittalking simulator.

On 10/28/2021 at 11:53 AM, Vassilios said:

This. Aside from faction members I try not to roleplay with friends, it always creates drama. Are you mean to their character? They'll take it OOCly. Do you backstab them or do anything else? They take it OOCly.

Situations like this I would break away from OOC friends or keep distance while rping sometimes in order to avoid this problem. Nothing should be wrong if friends don't take IC stuff OOC to cause drama or just to say “we’re good friends man lemme get x”

Do people overuse discord? of course, it's convenient for many things.

Does it lead to worse rp? Not necessarily, buddy systems and bullying are older than this app.

Did discord actually change much? Not really, we used steam and other stuff back in the day to organize our factions just as much.

If both factions pinged their 50ish members as there's war and we needed men under arms online , that might technically be metagaming, but it also ensures 2x50 people have a good experience that afternoon/evening depending on how long the fighting lasts.

Everything is IC.

Also your character can lose their job tomorrow with no reason attached or breach policy, rule, or procedure.

Also no matter how many characters you make, no matter how different they are, no matter the choices they make or the avenues you follow and the time you sink in, you cannot ever gain employment at this one place.

IC is IC stop /b

Why do we keep lying to ourselves, what's the point of it anymore? These aren't characters in most cases, they're avatars for us. We place them in situations, we determine their reactions, and ultimately we have them journey along a path we'd like to tread. They're just a placebo, a middleman, for us to vicariously explore a new world.

Let me tell you something sacred, biblical even: the name posting the application matters more then the name on it.

Edited by radreaper100
  • Upvote 1

I agree 100%. I don't mind announcing you are gonna go IG and stuff like that or posting community events but what I tend to notice is the same thing I noticed before in the GTAW main discord. I do mind it though when its clearly to get some sort of profit or get help with -hostile- rp without specifically saying.  Also I've come to notice in general factions, staff teams, etc. attract manipulative people and that above all has made me not like to RP anymore. Something I've also come to notice is factions forcing you to spill your entire character background to them OOC.  I don't like that either because half the fun in me to RP personally is learning people's stories through talking to them. When you remove the mystery of people ultimately they become less interesting and intentionally or not, people are gonna make judgements on those people. I find it odd on that these things aren't even restricted to leadership roles. At least then it would be a bit of a QC. It makes zero sense for every person on the discord to see your background and other info. 

Faction leaders could do much more in tackling this. The last bit is simply a matter of removing that or fixing permissions. 

11 minutes ago, TinyPotato said:

I gave up on gang RP because its not satisfying; IC beef is almost always OOC, nobody wants to RP the impacts of their actions, and its more about hanging out oocly with ur crew and feeding off the naive RPers who think it'd be a good idea to join you, until that fizzles out and you close your faction cus ur not feeling the "vibe" 😒

To add onto this, gang rp is almost always the same in my few factions I went through with it, it's just the same shit with a different faction and after you've done everything you kind of just  move on, It's extremely hard for some roleplayers to express the impacts of their actions because some might consider crying and shit in RP and all that depression shit cringe, which I totally understand (i kind of find it cringe too, just human nature, some of us must not like things). Gang RP suffers because of it's lack of long-lasting factions and with the closing of @Quackhead faction it was just a nail in the coffin.

IC beef usually leads to OOC beef and until you leave said faction you won't ever really be cool with the enemys on an OOC level, most factions have no respect for the other faction as if they are actually at war IRL.

13 minutes ago, TinyPotato said:

Gang RP is driven by OOC friendships and groups and its so obvious when your not part of the "clique". Almost none of it is IC and its so painfully obvious.

You either join the clique or fall victim to being a side guy even when you have the development to be a head honcho, if you aren't liked by that group then you wont progress organically or how you are supposed to, you might be a big figure in said hood but will never get that role / respect / rank, if that's what you wanted of course, in my opinion just RP how you should and ignore the discord ranks, but most people chase those ranks (i was one of those people for my first few gangs) and until I realized it was much more fun to just chill and develop, shit was stressful.

the other issue from the perspective of a newer player is it's really hard to learn from good roleplayers when things are like this, but at the end of the day it's a game and forced interactions really are fun for neither party so if you want to just stick to your own thing then you should

Edited by books
On 10/30/2021 at 5:08 PM, radreaper100 said:

and ultimately we have them journey along a path we'd like to tread.

I do not wanna be a mailman or a victim of childhood abuse. Some people live vicariously through their characters and self insert and that's why the name of the player matters in that scenario.

On 10/31/2021 at 10:54 PM, L I C E said:

I do not wanna be a mailman or a victim of childhood abuse. Some people live vicariously through their characters and self insert and that's why the name of the player matters in that scenario.

What I mean by that is we dictate their actions, they obviously don't have independent intelligence.

• Wuhtah locked this topic