Discord&Closed Communities Leading To Mediocrity(?)

latenight

2 hours ago, L I C E said:

Got booted from my longstanding friendship group because suddenly they decided OOC they were unironically sexist now. Won't RP with me IC anymore either. I stopped wanting to be friends with people OOC after that, now I don't really touch discord too much. My RP experience is better for it.

Wow, to paraphrase one of my favorite Facebrowser accounts:

"god i hate women"

/s 🙂

• Upvote 1

Part of the reason I stayed away from gang roleplay or similar sorts given the sheer toxicity and drama around it. No roleplay quality can excuse taking a deep dive into a toxic waste container. Now the drama, elitism and toxicity you will eventually have everywhere no matter if (il-)legal faction, no matter what, albeit the seeming pinnacle has always been that mentioned area of roleplay servers such as LSRP and GTA:W; DM videos, LARPing like gang bangers IRL/on forums/discord/voice, OOC beef, IFC and all the jazz.

Best is to keep interactions on discord to a minimum or within moderated channels/servers and just do your thing you have fun with rather than endulging in friend circles and ultimately being dragged into ongoing or future drama you do not want to be part of. Groups come and go and so do factions. One group may leave, another emerges. In an ideal world, factions would slowly form through in-character interactions. Small friend circle into crew growing into a larger organisation. Unfortunately this is rarely the case and I have yet to see a gang establish themselves from scratch solely through in-character means and development without any OOC influence. Given this will not happen, nor any official ways to organize and "gather" people for a roleplay concent and idea, we end up in this current limbo stage for new players where established groups are a closed circle and new players are either to eventually weazel their way in, form their own circle and start something new or be left behind looking for other opportunities and roleplay avenues than they may initially wanted to.

Edited by orca112
On 10/28/2021 at 5:53 PM, Vassilios said:

This. Aside from faction members I try not to roleplay with friends, it always creates drama. Are you mean to their character? They'll take it OOCly. Do you backstab them or do anything else? They take it OOCly.

No offence but you should probably look for better friends if they can't separate IC from OOC. It really doesn't need to be the case, as long as the people you surround yourself with are reasonable. 

The best roleplay I’ve ever had was when there was minimal to non-existent OOC contact with others.

it makes you so much more connected to your character, and helps you see the people you’re playing with as their own characters and not discord profile pictures.

if that analogy makes any sense

I'm gonna play a bit of devil's advocate here but it's totally possible to chinwag with friends about your roleplay experiences whilst still roleplaying with them in a manner that is completely fluid and unobstructed by OOC influences.

I know a particular group of people whom I have been pretty close with recently and we all like to sit in voice-chat every now and then and talk about all sorts of things related and unrelated to our in-game experiences but the moment we begin roleplaying, we all dry up and immerse ourselves in our roleplay without letting our OOC friendship meddle in at any point, so it's definitely possible.

You just need to be careful about who you get close to on an OOC level and if they suddenly start letting their OOC grievances get in the way of their roleplay, which isn't really hard to notice, you steer away from them and cut any kind of contact with them.

31 minutes ago, Shaderz said:

I'm gonna play a bit of devil's advocate here but it's totally possible to chinwag with friends about your roleplay experiences whilst still roleplaying with them in a manner that is completely fluid and unobstructed by OOC influences.

I know a particular group of people whom I have been pretty close with recently and we all like to sit in voice-chat every now and then and talk about all sorts of things related and unrelated to our in-game experiences but the moment we begin roleplaying, we all dry up and immerse ourselves in our roleplay without letting our OOC friendship meddle in at any point, so it's definitely possible.

You just need to be careful about who you get close to on an OOC level and if they suddenly start letting their OOC grievances get in the way of their roleplay, which isn't really hard to notice, you steer away from them and cut any kind of contact with them.

The issue is, people aren't just talking about cut and dry MGing over voice. It doesn't matter who your RPing with, all it takes is someone to exhibit some kind of vocal tick, some kind of expression that implies something is happening in character and from there it snowballs. Suddenly people who were tabbed out tab in, people who were in interiors step outside to see what's going on, someones driving around and suddenly they are driving towards where they think they might run across their friend. All of it seems very very minor but it snowballs and can drastically shift the outcome of a scenario. You and your friends could be a perfect example to follow, you could mute anytime your IG, you could all follow strict personal guidelines about MGing and the use of information IC. But you and your friends are not a representation of the server as a whole and the the truth is most of the people who are using VOIP are probably falling into this trap.

The best and most clear cut solution is no VOIP while IG across the board. Doesn't matter if your a criminal committing a shooting or a ERPer going to a club. The playing field should be equal for everyone. 

30 minutes ago, Trupiano said:

The issue is, people aren't just talking about cut and dry MGing over voice. It doesn't matter who your RPing with, all it takes is someone to exhibit some kind of vocal tick, some kind of expression that implies something is happening in character and from there it snowballs. Suddenly people who were tabbed out tab in, people who were in interiors step outside to see what's going on, someones driving around and suddenly they are driving towards where they think they might run across their friend. All of it seems very very minor but it snowballs and can drastically shift the outcome of a scenario. You and your friends could be a perfect example to follow, you could mute anytime your IG, you could all follow strict personal guidelines about MGing and the use of information IC. But you and your friends are not a representation of the server as a whole and the the truth is most of the people who are using VOIP are probably falling into this trap.

The best and most clear cut solution is no VOIP while IG across the board. Doesn't matter if your a criminal committing a shooting or a ERPer going to a club. The playing field should be equal for everyone. 

I understand where you are coming from and I agree with it being an issue that needs to be petered out but there really isn't much the community as a whole can do other than to raise widespread awareness in hopes that people will be courteous enough to understand how roleplay can negatively impacted by it so they do not undertake it. Even then, the playing field will never be equal for everyone.

• Wuhtah locked this topic