Discord&Closed Communities Leading To Mediocrity(?)

latenight

22 minutes ago, ozymandias said:

I found that I enjoyed GTA:W the most when I was brand new to it and everything felt organic IC; my character met a group of people IC, got to know them IC, earned their trust, etc. Things started to fall off once we had an OOC connection. For me, it makes things feel less natural and more forced. I'm all for setting up RP scenarios OOC for the purpose of story telling and character development, but when you're PMing me on Discord telling me to get on so my character can pay his weekly fee to the faction, it's just gonna make me get on less.

This. Whenever I've made OOC connections with people I've noticed that the amount of times I've seen RP die down and become an OOC chat is staggering when compared to when I simply make no OOC connection at all and everything stays strictly in-character.

• Upvote 1

The zero tolerance policy implemented by Nervous was the first step to fixing the problem of OOC cliques ruining other people’s fun. Unfortunately, I can say having been in the leadership chat of a faction, a lot of the dialogue pertaining to ostracizing players happens behind closed doors, unbeknownst to the player being shut out, so regulating it is extremely difficult. By whistleblowing or going against the hivemind think, you compromise your own position and become targeted by the clique.

People would rather be passively complicit and keep their OOC friendships rather than step up and stop grown men from ruining other people’s experience in the faction. 

Maybe this is a bit off topic, but there is a very seedy aspect to how Discord communities dictate role-play, and it won’t stop until these people stop holding others hostage with their unfounded egos.

Edited by Serendipity
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

One of my main issues with the server is that it prides itself on expunging metagaming but at the same time the factions have the right to remove a player based on OOC reasons. This to me is no different from mixing IC and OOC/metagaming.

There is a difference between an admin saying " This guy broke X rule, we ajail him " and a faction doing it.

I can't talk about the OOC cliqueing on Discord 'cause I haven't seen it (yet), but it's true there's an ungodly fuckton of Discord stuff going on. I've been back for what, 3 weeks? And I had to make a specific, separate Discord folder for GTAW alone 'cause I got invited to literally 9 (nine) different servers :x 

Edited by Topinambour
4 hours ago, pateuvasiliu said:

One of my main issues with the server is that it prides itself on expunging metagaming but at the same time the factions have the right to remove a player based on OOC reasons. This to me is no different from mixing IC and OOC/metagaming.

There is a difference between an admin saying " This guy broke X rule, we ajail him " and a faction doing it.

It's not so much as a right but seemingly it's a requirement. As a faction/business leader you're somewhat expected to remove people OOCly if they're "not up to standard." 

I don't believe it's something that can be fixed. Limit somebodies social circle and they will play elsewhere. At the end of the day it's the same as hanging around with your friends IRL. If somebody just walks up to you, you don't really want them present. If it's a mutual friend then it's a different story. MTA suffered the same problem and once it started to get cracked down they left.

The problem exists, and no one can say it doesn't. Mixing IC and OOC through Discord is something really common, and it was common even years ago through other platforms(we had private forums back in the days).

So, it's not Discord itself, but the fact people can get to know eachother OOCly and no one could and should prevent it, because it's always great to make friends online.

So, basically there's no solution for this issue GLOBALLY but, individually, the solution is dealing with great roleplayer IG, because you will be sure they will void to mix any IC and OOC themselves.

• Wuhtah locked this topic