Press Realism

Parker

I would like some standards to come into play regarding press realism. It's something that has annoyed me on every GTA role-play server that I've been a part of.

I can not for the life of me recall any time in my life where I've watched a mainstream media outlet (a major one at that) release footage as graphic as this. It's actually bizarre that we focus so much time on role-play quality while this is what a major news network is releasing. Coverage of such a scenario would definitely occur, but a footage of a woman being filled with bullets? Not a chance. This really has got to stop.

There's about three people involved in press roleplay on the server despite the player base being roughly 2,000 people. Instead of sniping from the sidelines, why not actually approach these people personally and raise your concerns? 

I'm not involved in that faction. Nor am I involved in anything to do with that article.  The constant OOC hostility the people who roleplay characters in this scene face is a little tiring, even when if it's not directed at me personally. 

Edited by books

Lot of people on this server complain that the press is shit, lot of people complain there's no press on the server, when press go a bit spicy on a in character article people jump down throats. Police Activity often publishes body camera footage and news agencies often pick it up.

Stop aiming for kneecaps when the leg is already broken. Being a journalist isn't easy nor do many people wanna do it.

• Thanks 1

To be fair, there is indeed an 18+ warning on that article in bold red text right where the graphic video is. So there is a warning.

Honestly, more of an IC issue. If you don't like the fact that the press releases graphic footage, there are plenty of things you can do. Leave a comment, contact the press and voice your opinions, etc.

I already tried keeping press realistic when I ran Weazel, I spent hours putting each article into a nice graphic format. Nobody gave a shit and noone who wasn't in Weazel thanked me for it. People were too busy finding small problems to protest for weeks on end about and take out of context. Unfortunately it's a niche of roleplay that very few care about or are motivated to do unless they're raking in tons of cash. Which isn't something that can be sustained for long due to the lack of revenue sources. 

LSNN faced this same issue after their initial popularity as an underdog but after a while, nobody was motivated to roam around the city hoping to come across something more interesting than a traffic stop then sit for a couple of hours writing an article which'll get a few trollish comments if they're lucky. All for very little pay. So the problem isn't so much press portrayal, it's that the majority of players don't care when it is well portrayed and would rather find a way to screw with established brands.

I'm all for improved standards when it comes to IC media, but there's no encouragement from management for press companies who perform well. Infact LFM were consistently trying to limit the resources we had available and eventually took away our access to finances. That was the real nail in the coffin, motivation and activity flatlined. Though granted those were very different times, and under different LFM leadership so perhaps things might be different if there was fresh motivation from the community. That said, realistic press portrayal is something that requires the community to actually play ball with.

As I said, it's a very niche area of roleplay with little to motivate those interested in it, most disappear after a few months.

• Upvote 6

I do appreciate a good read, and there's plenty of great articles and journalist in the community. I'm not interested in that kind of role-play, it's not for me. I don't see this as an IC issue. It's just completely unrealistic. By the same logic, you could say that almost anything is realistic and passable here...just because it can happen, doesn't mean it should nor should it be acceptable.

I'm not attacking news factions nor the journalists on this server. All I'm asking for, is standards to keep press realistic.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't rag on the news people man. I started on this server as a weazel journalist and remember it being super hard to garner any interest in articles. All I see is constant hate a trolling on their articles these days. Imagine how demoralizing that is when you spend hours creating it. 

• Gore locked this topic