What do you think of medical roleplay?

KinnyWynny

5 hours ago, eTaylor said:

I’m a bad roleplayer because I’ll do anything and everything within my power to avoid medical roleplay.

Honest question, and this goes for the previous replies, if there was a /skiptreatment command or alternatively, every medical faction on the server was removed. Would you prefer that?

On 11/1/2021 at 11:32 AM, negs said:

Most people do not like medic roleplay.

This is how it should work.

Give the medics a faction and some cars to make them happy. Those who want to participate in medic roleplay can, those who do not wish to participate, do not have to. A very small, small percentage of the playerbase actually enjoy medic roleplay. Most people don't enjoy it. Why would you want to roleplay with someone who isn't even enjoying it? They're just going to avoid, give bad responses etc. it won't even be enjoyable for you. So don't make it mandatory. This seems the most obvious way forward.

Most people do not like robbery roleplay.

Give robbers a faction and some cars to make them happy. Those who want to participate in robberies can, those who do not wish to participate, do not have to. A very small, small percentage of the playerbase actually enjoy robbery roleplay. Most people don't enjoy it. Why would you want to roleplay with someone who isn't even enjoying it? They're just going to avoid, give bad responses etc. it won't even be enjoyable for you. So don't make it mandatory. This seems the most obvious way forward.

... obviously joking here. But at the end of the day, in a heavy RP server, RPing your injuries is just part of your character's life. Seeing the amount of people who get out of a hospital and are out there like nothing happened an hour later, if you allowed medical treatment to circumvent doctors and paramedics and be passively RPed, things like violent crime and ridiculous driving would become an even bigger issue.

Like illegal RPers often push: being robbed is realistic IRL. Going to the hospital after getting shot in the chest three times is also realistic IRL. It's another aspect of life, and the issue comes with the balance between realism and expediting the process of treatment to find a balance that's good for both parts.

• Upvote 3
  • Applaud 1
35 minutes ago, Koko said:

Most people do not like robbery roleplay.

Give robbers a faction and some cars to make them happy. Those who want to participate in robberies can, those who do not wish to participate, do not have to. A very small, small percentage of the playerbase actually enjoy robbery roleplay. Most people don't enjoy it. Why would you want to roleplay with someone who isn't even enjoying it? They're just going to avoid, give bad responses etc. it won't even be enjoyable for you. So don't make it mandatory. This seems the most obvious way forward.

... obviously joking here. But at the end of the day, in a heavy RP server, RPing your injuries is just part of your character's life. Seeing the amount of people who get out of a hospital and are out there like nothing happened an hour later, if you allowed medical treatment to circumvent doctors and paramedics and be passively RPed, things like violent crime and ridiculous driving would become an even bigger issue.

Like illegal RPers often push: being robbed is realistic IRL. Going to the hospital after getting shot in the chest three times is also realistic IRL. It's another aspect of life, and the issue comes with the balance between realism and expediting the process of treatment to find a balance that's good for both parts.

This is the perfect analogy as to why the approach to medical roleplay shouldn't be "if I don't like it, then I'm not going to roleplay it". 

Do you want to avoid your character's injuries simply because you don't enjoy roleplaying them? Fine, let's start avoiding robberies as a whole too because the majority of them are very poorly roleplayed and people don't like bad roleplay, and we'll see how frustrating and demotivating it is for illegal roleplayers, and particularly those who execute them well.

Edited by Shaderz
2 hours ago, Shaderz said:

This is the perfect analogy as to why the approach to medical roleplay shouldn't be "if I don't like it, then I'm not going to roleplay it". 

Do you want to avoid your character's injuries simply because you don't enjoy roleplaying them? Fine, let's start avoiding robberies as a whole too because the majority of them are very poorly roleplayed and people don't like bad roleplay, and we'll see how frustrating and demotivating it is for illegal roleplayers, and particularly those who execute them well.

If robberies all lasted up to several hours with a slew of emotes using exceedingly technical wording, then it would indeed be a perfect analogy. 

18 minutes ago, Topinambour said:

If robberies all lasted up to several hours with a slew of emotes using exceedingly technical wording, then it would indeed be a perfect analogy. 

I'm sorry, but this is simply not true. Not once during my seven years of medical roleplay experience have I ever seen a single medical scene last /several/ hours in a row, and if it has happened to someone out there, I can assure you that's because the patient was willing to roleplay it. Some scenes can take up to 40 minutes, perhaps an hour but that's really stretching it. And even those are very uncommon these days. 

People use all sorts of sophisticated words during their roleplay these days, from verbs to adjectives and adverbs no one has ever heard of in their entire life. Some people literally have WordHippo open while roleplaying. Surely a technical medical term thrown in here and there isn't that painful? Even then, medical roleplayers for the most part have been discouraged from using overly technical terminology both in their interactions with patients and in /me lines.

The analogy is perfect, but clearly sucks for you and other people that it completely refutes the argument that was used.

6 minutes ago, Shaderz said:

I'm sorry, but this is simply not true. Not once during my seven years of medical roleplay experience have I ever seen a single medical scene last /several/ hours in a row, and if it has happened to someone out there, I can assure you that's because the patient was willing to roleplay it.

Happened to me twice as I mentioned earlier in this thread. Worst of all, it was really late, over 2:30 am (and I mentioned that in /b, which only got me a "NO /B STAY IC! I'll report you for bad RP!" kinda reply). So I suppose it's a kind of "your mileage may vary" situation, but it's part of why I dread any interaction with EMTs/LSFD now ^^' 

Edited by Topinambour
6 minutes ago, Topinambour said:

Happened to me twice as I mentioned earlier in this thread. Worst of all, it was really late, over 2:30 am (and I mentioned that in /b, which only got me a "NO /B STAY IC! I'll report you for bad RP!" kinda reply). So I suppose it's a kind of "your mileage may vary" situation, but it's part of why I dread any interaction with EMTs/LSFD now ^^' 

Can you please elaborate on how that medical scene stretched out for several hours though? What happened? What did the medics do to you that took them so long to get over with? I'd highly suggest you bring this up to FD's leadership because if someone spent literal hours treating your character, then they're a bad fit for the medical scene.

Just now, Shaderz said:

Can you please elaborate on how that medical scene stretched out for several hours though? What happened? What did the medics do to you that took them so long to get over with?

Not sure it's worth bringing over to FD leadership since it was in 2018 😛 

Basically back then the sync wasn't nearly as good as it is now. The first time, someone on the opposite lane on the Senora Freeway hit me head on, because the server didn't know what was going on. We both agreed to just void it since it made no sense and it was late... bad luck: another car came by with an FD person inside who threatened to report if we didn't play it. He kept us for ~15 minutes, claiming with such a hit we'd be "incarcerated", then we had to wait for the LSFD chopper because someone had called it, then we had to wait for the firefighters to come and cut the cars open, then we had to wait for the ambulances, ... and tada, by the time we finally were in PHMC it was almost 4 am. ^^'' 

• Wuhtah locked this topic