What do you think of medical roleplay?

KinnyWynny

On 10/29/2021 at 3:04 AM, orca112 said:

One thing that has been done "wrong" in a long time. With the ever running trend of striving for realism and more details, more in-depth things, more culture all the way to the extreme of "1 to 1" for some people, medical roleplay is no difference. You have people with real life experience jumping in, going in-depth on various topics, creating guides and explaining all the technical terms so your medical roleplay can look as advanced and professional - except that most people around you have no idea what you are trying to tell with transcutaneous pacing or endo-tidal capnography.

Roleplay that arguably relies the most on interactions between the patient (player A) and first responder (player B)  simply cannot work when one party has no idea what the other is talking about. What needs to change is moving away from the "hyper" realism and technical terms left and right to a more basic and understanding type of roleplay, breaking down things to the most simple way possible and looking for ways to actively engage and interact with the people rather than running down your script of checking pulse (what would your pulse be?), exposing wounds (what injuries could be seen?) and patching up wounds (slap on trauma pad, would the bleeding stop?) and advanced procedures.

This! You perfectly described how things should be. The "hyper" realism is everywhere, and a lot of people like me feel that is boring and unnecessary instead of roleplaying and enjoying simple things as you say!

Make it easier, people! It is funny as well!

5 hours ago, mk4GTI said:

This! You perfectly described how things should be. The "hyper" realism is everywhere, and a lot of people like me feel that is boring and unnecessary instead of roleplaying and enjoying simple things as you say!

Make it easier, people! It is funny as well!

Afaik in any human interaction what we need to strive for is to find a middle ground between polar opposites.

Here you are advocating for your own side, yet I do not see a compromise made on your behalf.

How would you have it be simplified? Where do we draw the line on simplicity in your opinion?

I am asking because once we make FD less complicated, we get people complaining FD isn't realistic enough, then when we make things more akin to reality, it's another issue for another fraction of the community.

My opinion is that things are fine and in that we teach our new members to analyze the situation and alter the amount of detail applied. We are also teaching them to ask questions on a broader sense. Rather than asking "What is pulse?" we get them to ask "has he lost enough blood?" and then from there onward we generate the vitals according to the ailment.

But this is a compromise we made that leaves us vulnerable to some instances where knowledgable people take advantage of our abstractions and force unpleasant situations that put IC careers of EMTs at stake. IE, we ask if blood lost in high volumes, then we generate the vitals our own but the patient may make up things we could not foresee and not tell us simply because we didn't ask. Hence, cause their own death, etc.

So I ask again, what is the ideal compromise in your mind?

On 10/29/2021 at 11:13 AM, KaythPlus said:

I apologize but some of your points feel genuinely unfounded in what the actual reality of the server is, because to claim any member of the Fire Department wants to simply shove patients into their ambulance and be used akin to a taxi is totally silly, it's infact the absolute polar opposite of what the majority if not absolute every Fire Department member in the server wants. A large majority of us build rapport on scene, build S.A.M.P.L.E which is all about those questions. Scenes are used as a device to build character, both for the patient themselves and all Factions involved, be this through the lighthearted conversation and questions that do happen on scenes, almost always — or the treatment itself.

You forget to mention that over half of our patients are typically unconscious, or a criminal suspect. So chit-chat isn't exactly their forte, they're usually untalkative and outright ignore attempts for details. And considering the Police typically do their questioning after the treatment, it's not as if the Faction can quarry them for details. We do, but usually get tid-bits if that. I think the thread and comments throughout rise some notable issues that the Fire Department could work on, but I unfortunately there are also a lot of vastly sweeping statements that don't actually rain true at least in my opinion and own experience.

Even when staffing alone, which does happen — hell I play typically post midnight so I'm frequently finding myself as the only one on duty so I'm forced to do exactly that. It's still insanely easy to weave questions in between your performances if treatment, the issue is never actually building that character and interacting with the patient itself, it's usually the circumstances regarding it such as, as mentioned; Patients whom are completely unconscious, unverbal or unwilling to talk.

Every Faction in the entire server has flaws, and burnout is also not anything that is unique to the Fire Department, or roleplay at all actually. It's something that naturally happens. I hope the Fire Department can improve in various ways, I have my own trifles with some small subsets of the roleplay as anyone would. I just think you'd do better, as would we all to actually look into how things actually are. What are EMT's trying to achieve and what are they failing at achieving? And if they are failing at achieving what they set out to do, then why? Is it policy? Is it server rules? Is it the risk of sueing or being taken to court?

To imply IV's should be set up but then the sheer basics like a Cervical Collar and Bandaging can be quickly glossed over is silly, as typically the Collar and Bandaging are far more friendly for those who aren't familiar with Medical roleplay.

OK you missed my point so I’ll re-iterate it very quickly.

Most medical details can be waved by, the reality is most people as stated before, don’t care what brand of neck brace goes around their neck, the only medical detail that matters in responder to patient roleplay are interactable ones. For example, drugs are a great way to get interaction, most drugs have effects that can be given. Ketamine puts people into a loopy out of body experience, morphine kills pain and makes you delirious and sleepy, versed knocks you the fuck out etc.

IV’s are big needles that secure catheter’s into veins for drugs, which can hurt, that’s interaction. Bandaging… is fine, but it’s boring outside of holding pressure and stemming bleeding. You can do a tiny /me and go into dialogue instead. That’s my meaning on hand waving it. It shouldn’t really be the front and center of roleplay.

As for my criticism of FD, I was in FD, for a looonnng time. Up to a command level even, and the number one issue I had in the faction was the lack of information gathering by members. This isn’t there fault, which is why I aim the criticism at the faction. Not the players. But you’re not trained to gather information or to piece together a puzzle before arriving at the hospital, it’s a load and go culture. Which I think is horribly unfair because EMS, if anything, is about being medical detectives, and Im glad you use SAMPLE, but I’ve never had a member of FD tell me if anyone has any allergies, takes medications, any previous medical history etc. They often rely on Hospital staff to do that, when in reality this would be the priority after stabilization except in the most CRITICAL of cases. And yes I know most patients suck, I’ve dealt with them. But a lot don’t,  I’ve seen diabetic patients who never got asked, patients who roleplayed heart problems who never got checked and tons more just ignored because the assumption is that almost the majority of patients are aimless ignorant cadavers. Which is unfair to the patient some of the time, unfair to FD who get burned the fuck out dealing with the same five cases of cops/robbers being shot with only grazes. 

It’s an issue with EMS in general I’m afraid. And it should be encouraged to spend a little time grabbing histories, if the patient sucks, they suck. Everyone at PHMC understands, but getting a detailed report from FD for a good patient is incredibly rare.

I find the best thing to do is keep it simple in the /me's, keep them descriptive of what's going on for the patient, and leave as much medical babble out of them as possible, but use that babble aplenty when discussing what's being done with someone in the know (transferring care, etc). Interact as much as possible when the person's conscious, let them know what any drugs would do to them so they can RP the effects/impact of those drugs accordingly via PM, and when taking information, usually I just PM them and ask them if they're cool with me making up their vitals based on their injuries/time since wounded/other factors. Most of them say sure, just do your thing. If they say no, I walk them through it all in PM's.  Be descriptive, be straightforward, don't be overly complex, and let people get a feel for what it is you're roleplaying so they can reciprocate.  And, try not to make it take too long unless it's something they're engaging in themselves or it has to be longer by nature (cardiac arrest, so forth). 

All in all, it's a balancing act. Keep the medical babble for IC communication and out of /me's when possible. When it's not, explain what's happening. 

That being said this is for an ideal injury RP person who is willing to go along with it. More often than not you get someone who just wants to skip everything, rush it all, and go right back to doing things on the street, so, eh. Swings and roundabouts. 

I don't care if medical roleplay takes a while, but you need to make the procedures you're undertaking comprehensible to those involved in the scene - otherwise people are just passively reading jargon terminology that they have no sense of how to respond to. There's a reason most medical dramas focus more on the characters rather than the procedures, and surgeons and other medical staff roleplayers need to do the same here if they're to engage people.

2 hours ago, KinnyWynny said:

As for my criticism of FD, I was in FD, for a looonnng time. Up to a command level even, and the number one issue I had in the faction was the lack of information gathering by members. This isn’t there fault, which is why I aim the criticism at the faction. Not the players. But you’re not trained to gather information or to piece together a puzzle before arriving at the hospital, it’s a load and go culture.

It's unfair to judge the faction based off past experiences and consider it to be the same as it was back then, its not, the faction as a whole has come a long way during the time I've been in it and we've achieved some amazing things. Our members are trained to gather information and piece together the puzzle and its not a load and go culture.

32 minutes ago, Viscaria said:

It's unfair to judge the faction based off past experiences and consider it to be the same as it was back then, its not, the faction as a whole has come a long way during the time I've been in it and we've achieved some amazing things. Our members are trained to gather information and piece together the puzzle and its not a load and go culture.

They're the experience I have right now with the faction.

Most people do not like medic roleplay.

This is how it should work.

Give the medics a faction and some cars to make them happy. Those who want to participate in medic roleplay can, those who do not wish to participate, do not have to. A very small, small percentage of the playerbase actually enjoy medic roleplay. Most people don't enjoy it. Why would you want to roleplay with someone who isn't even enjoying it? They're just going to avoid, give bad responses etc. it won't even be enjoyable for you. So don't make it mandatory. This seems the most obvious way forward.

• Wuhtah locked this topic