What do you think of medical roleplay?

KinnyWynny

1 hour ago, Shaderz said:

Myself and a couple of others who have roleplayed in the medical field for many years share the opinion that centralization is key.

Centralization isn't key. Centralization is how the majority of medical RPers I know have gotten sick of it. Alternative

Healthcare in general and in RP can't survive without a primary care system. Like Koko pointed out, majority of us medicalRPers don't want to join Hope or PHMC, because we've been in them and want to operate independently.

I really like the people who roleplay independent private doctors/general practioners/therapists. They're easier to access and I've only had positive experiences with them, I just wish there was more of them.

Edited by books
2 minutes ago, Coburn said:

Centralization isn't key. Centralization is how the majority of medical RPers I know have gotten sick of it. Alternative

Healthcare in general and in RP can't survive without a primary care system. Like Koko pointed out, majority of us medicalRPers don't want to join Hope or PHMC, because we've been in them and want to operate independently.

There still needs to be some centralized regulation on this. We cannot make the title of "Doctor" a total free-for-all, because then we'd have wrongfully or illegally prescribed medications left and right. We put a law in place to try and make this a reality so that people could apply to practice independently, but gov didn't do anything with it.

Just now, TheSenate said:

There still needs to be some centralized regulation on this. We cannot make the title of "Doctor" a total free-for-all, because then we'd have wrongfully or illegally prescribed medications left and right. We put a law in place to try and make this a reality so that people could apply to practice independently, but gov didn't do anything with it.

Because the gov is happy with PHMC and don't want anything else.

3 minutes ago, Coburn said:

Because the gov is happy with PHMC and don't want anything else.

Gov is far from "happy" with PHMC. We had issues with getting them to give us money for our budget for awhile. Instead what gov has done is decided to continue leaving med-rp to be a total come one come all style wild west free for all where literally anyone can participate. The only thing you don't have access to is /treatmentitems, which if I'm being honest we rarely use anyways.

Edited by TheSenate
7 minutes ago, Coburn said:

There's a difference between what you want and what the server really needs and those two are clearly not in sync. People have attempted to found their own private medical organizations and quite frankly, they just don't work out because they're not what the server needs. More (medical organizations) doesn't mean better and someone like yourself who has attempted this in the past should know that by now. 

What the server needs at this point in time when it comes to medical roleplay is a stable, well-structured and reliable hospital faction that is capable of actively providing the most basic forms of hospital services to the community. We're slowly making progress and we're definitely better than we were a couple of months ago, but you add insult to injury the moment you want to operate independently simply because your views aren't aligned with the ones set by leadership. Everyone chipping in and working together towards a common goal that undeniably benefits the server as a whole is better than a bunch of medical organizations working solo towards their own goals which may or may not be in line with what the server needs.

Until the above is properly achieved, it is my firm belief that creating private medical organizations is just going to split the medical community up and ultimately affect the server in a negative fashion.

16 minutes ago, Shaderz said:

More (medical organizations) doesn't mean better and someone like yourself who has attempted this in the past should know that by now. 

I was enjoying it and had plenty of decent RP with multiple businesses and factions, I stopped because LFM told me to start a faction or they'd ban me.

More medical factions means a larger amount of players involved with medicalRP, all of those people know other people.

If we just have one centralized faction for medicine we are severely limiting the amount of people engaging in medicalRP as caregivers or recievers.

Edited by Coburn
31 minutes ago, Coburn said:

I was enjoying it and had plenty of decent RP with multiple businesses and factions, I stopped because LFM told me to start a faction or they'd ban me.

More medical factions means a larger amount of players involved with medicalRP, all of those people know other people.

If we just have one centralized faction for medicine we are severely limiting the amount of people engaging in medicalRP as caregivers or recievers.

That's not true.

The problem with more medical factions is:

1. Currently existing medical factions will inevitably lose numbers.
    • This will result in activity issues becoming more prevalent, leaving more players unsatisfied if these currently existing medical factions cannot cater to their needs.
    • The aforementioned activity issues cannot be solved in practice by these new medical factions. They are brand spanking new, so it is not realistically predictable that their activity levels will be rampant.
    • This will create the idea that since there are more medical factions out there, then there are also more roleplay opportunities. This is nothing but a mere illusion since everyone will be impacted with activity issues due to the huge split in the medical community caused by the creation of new medical factions.
  2. More doesn't mean better.
    • Theoretically speaking, more medical factions means more alternative options to choose from. This ups the chances that they will find the right one for them to roleplay with. However, this couldn't be any wronger. This is known as the paradox of choice.
    • Giving people more options to choose from than what they really need, or even want is stressful and becomes a chore. This makes them not choose anything at all. More accessibility and freedom of choice doesn't make things easier if they're overwhelmed with options. It hinders the decision-making process, making people feel bamboozled and wonder if they made the right choice, and if they really want to be there.
  3. Standardizing medical roleplay and setting common goals to work together for will become nearly impossible to achieve.
    • Communication will be hampered. Each of these new medical factions is more than likely to have their own views and goals — otherwise they wouldn't feel the need to want to operate independently, like you mentioned. These may or may not be aligned with what the server really needs.
    • Divergences in opinions between leaders and members from seperate medical entities will become clearer, and there's a high risk that there will be more drama than there currently is. This may be extremely demotivating to cope with for some people, and may be detrimental to progress.

This is a short list of reasons why I believe more medical factions are not the solution. I avidly believe centralization is the solution, as I similarly believe if people put aside their disagreements and disparity in views and worked together towards a better end, then medical roleplay as a whole would be in a much better state but I also acknowledge it may be hard for some people to let go of their sense of pride and way of thinking that if they don't take charge, then it's pointless for them to help out which is a reality that doesn't apply to everyone but is definitely out there.

1 hour ago, Shaderz said:

I avidly believe centralization is the solution, as I similarly believe if people put aside their disagreements and disparity in views and worked together towards a better end, then medical roleplay as a whole would be in a much better state but I also acknowledge it may be hard for some people to let go of their sense of pride and way of thinking that if they don't take charge, then it's pointless for them to help out which is a reality that doesn't apply to everyone but is definitely out there.

The problem comes if you simply don't want to RP within a particular faction (for whatever reason) and are left with no options but to conform to the formula on display if you want to partake in this RP at all, without the possibility of offering an alternative for those who want it. For example, I'm 100% sure that somewhere in the Venn Diagram of medical RP there's people who don't want to work at PHMC and people who don't want to go to PHMC, but want to mutually engage in medical RP of some kind. If those people find a common ground for mutual fun between individual players, then that's their prerogative.

I love Medical RP, and you and I have shared membership in a medical faction before, but for example I wouldn't return to FD as much as I'd love to RP a paramedic again, to name an example, because FD as a faction is not one I personally want to be a part of right now. So there's one less paramedic RPer in the server because I have one option I'm not interested in, and I know of other people in the same situation.

5 minutes ago, Koko said:

The problem comes if you simply don't want to RP within a particular faction (for whatever reason) and are left with no options but to conform to the formula on display if you want to partake in this RP at all, without the possibility of offering an alternative for those who want it. For example, I'm 100% sure that somewhere in the Venn Diagram of medical RP there's people who don't want to work at PHMC and people who don't want to go to PHMC, but want to mutually engage in medical RP of some kind. If those people find a common ground for mutual fun between individual players, then that's their prerogative.

I love Medical RP, and you and I have shared membership in a medical faction before, but for example I wouldn't return to FD as much as I'd love to RP a paramedic again, to name an example, because FD as a faction is not one I personally want to be a part of right now. So there's one less paramedic RPer in the server because I have one option I'm not interested in, and I know of other people in the same situation.

I understand where you're coming from and I used to share a similar perspective in the past until I have experienced what I did here.

I hate to say it but it is what it is. It is not possible to please everyone, and if everyone who wasn't pleased by the currently existing medical factions on the server wanted to found their own private medical organization, we would have clinics on every street corner of the city.

Think of it this way: an alternative medical faction is established, it's all fine and dandy at first but eventually the faction is faced with a minority of people who are unsatisfied by the roleplay provided by them, or disagree with the views shared by leadership, therefore they decide to leave the faction or simply no longer engage in any kind of roleplay with them. What happens next? These players are already unhappy with both PHMC and LSFD. Do we create yet another medical faction so we can please this particular group of people?

The point I'm trying to make above is, alternative factions aren't the solution and creating another medical faction simply on the grounds that a certain minority is not pleased with the state of medical roleplay provided by the currently existing medical factions on the server is counter-productive and does not help them grow, or improve on what they're doing wrong or should be doing differently.

PHMC is very receptive of critics and I'm sure you're aware of that considering how you were once a part of it. We listen to community feedback more than people think we do, and we always try to find a way to make things work for everyone. Disagreements are bound to happen, and they do more often than not. It's the reason threads like this and internal surveys like the one we got going on at the moment within the faction come up.

Myself and PHMC's leadership have reached dissensus numerous times in the past, namely when I wanted something implemented or shared a disparing view on a particular subject, but we have always managed to work things out in the name of what's best for the faction. People need to learn how to take a no, and that not everything can go the way they think it's the right one to go. Sticking around is far better if you keep mucking in and providing useful input on certain topics instead of leaving, not ever coming back and wishing for another entity to exist that, in the current state of things, could be very detrimental to their existence.

• Wuhtah locked this topic