What do you think of medical roleplay?

KinnyWynny

7 hours ago, latenight said:

I think the "barbaric" state of the surgeons and average people trying to roleplay as doctors, EMTs, etc are completely fine. I don't know If FD has an academy like PD does but making an over-detailed manual for a doctor or judging somebody because he used the wrong kind of scissors to treat a gunshot wound is not fair. 

If people want to learn about how to roleplay a better doctor, It's okay, but as you said most of the people just want to get out of the hospital asap.

It's like drug roleplay, some people just snort 50 grams of coke in two seconds and start screaming, some people take their turns with a joint and watch netflix for 50 minutes. It's the nature of roleplayers, the question is do they want to spend their time roleplaying something or not. In my opinion medical roleplay is quite complicated and there's no reason to make it harder than It's used to be. I think the same about the law enforcement and government roleplay in general, people shouldn't need a damn PhD in real life to have some fun.

My meaning on barbaric is we focus far too much on making the patient roleplayer learn and give information about medicine and what their character is feeling. And that puts way too much stress on the wounded player, who'll usually nod off after the second line of roleplay. Which creates this dynamic where players avoid medical roleplay like the plague, which is bad. Because it can be a lot of fun if you as Koko mentioned, read the room, go with the flow.

And stop asking people for vitals they have no idea about.

3 hours ago, Coburn said:

Because those of us who want to work as GPs want to be independent.

Evil circle really.

Again, doesn't matter what is ICly permitted when LFM actively oocly prevents the creation of medical factions

There is a big difference between setting up a small independent clinic that you alone or maybe with one other person see people at, and an entire faction. I've seen more than a few ads in game for doctors offices that are not run by PHMC or Hope.

I wish LFM would let people create private practices, and I wish Medical RP was more advertized, hyped up, and encouraged. I know a lot of people hate the idea of becoming a doctor due to a lot of research going into the character and stuff... and especially when treating patients... that is why google is your best friend, so you will not only learn as you go, but also gain knowledge oocly... As a STEM student irl I wish I could use some of my knowledge in GTAW, roleplaying as a doctor... but I don't wanna join either PHMC or HHG, I wanna create my own and be my own boss.

The other thing is... what I have realized is that people do not roleplay illnesses, injuries, or injuries needing surgery (which is why you have no job if you create a surgeon). This is something that kind of should be enforced in my opinion. I have seen a lot of amazing nurses and doctors at PHMC treating patients, while the patient roleplayed unrealistically and when they were warned, they were the ones to get angry at the doctor/nurse treating. And while I understand people try to escape IRL issues, there is also RPQM... but then why is there RPQM if nothing is being done against unrealistic portrayal, etc... no new medical factions being open.

In my opinion... Medical RP on this server is really just... not good and is almost bad. And I wish it was fixed and people, LFM, etc... would encourage others to open their own clinics and make new factions... not do the opposite and forbid players from doing so, and also encourage new and fresh faction offering way different medical roleplay (field medical rp for e.g.), and not immediately shut the idea down because "we got FD for that"... let them try and if it does not work, approach them then and offer help/ask them if they wanna continue their faction or rebrand into something else. And to be honest, (in my opinion), I have never seen a server being so afraid of new things.

Edited by dizzyizzy
  • Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, dizzyizzy said:

I wish LFM would let people create private practices, and I wish Medical RP was more advertized, hyped up, and encouraged. I know a lot of people hate the idea of becoming a doctor due to a lot of research going into the character and stuff... and especially when treating patients... that is why google is your best friend, so you will not only learn as you go, but also gain knowledge oocly... As a STEM student irl I wish I could use some of my knowledge in GTAW, roleplaying as a doctor... but I don't wanna join either PHMC or HHG, I wanna create my own and be my own boss.

The other thing is... what I have realized is that people do not roleplay illnesses, injuries, or injuries needing surgery (which is why you have no job if you create a surgeon). This is something that kind of should be enforced in my opinion. I have seen a lot of amazing nurses and doctors at PHMC treating patients, while the patient roleplayed unrealistically and when they were warned, they were the ones to get angry at the doctor/nurse treating. And while I understand people try to escape IRL issues, there is also RPQM... but then why is there RPQM if nothing is being done against unrealistic portrayal, etc... no new medical factions being open.

In my opinion... Medical RP on this server is really just... not good and is almost bad. And I wish it was fixed and people, LFM, etc... would encourage others to open their own clinics and make new factions... not do the opposite and forbid players from doing so, and also encourage new and fresh faction offering way different medical roleplay (field medical rp for e.g.), and not immediately shut the idea down because "we got FD for that"... let them try and if it does not work, approach them then and offer help/ask them if they wanna continue their faction or rebrand into something else.

This, well written.

1 hour ago, knppel said:

We may only be trusted with bugfix revive, not with roleplay.

I know a lot of people see the fact only two medical factions are supported by FM as being unfair, but this simply isn't a clean cut issue. The reason the majority of candidates are pushed towards the duopoly is that both PHMC and HHG face the same issues, lack of staff. It's all well and good having 10 different clinics across the state, but when nobody can hire enough staff to be sustainable long term then the whole house of cards is bound to fail; and no one wants that. 

Yeah I'm all for 3rd parties joining the fray, but ultimately it all comes down to how many staff can actually be employed to offer out the RP medical services hope to provide. That's why throughout the existence of advanced medical RP, there has always been the idea of "unholy unions" where there would just be one united medical provider using one staff pool to open various different practices or services across the city. It's not traditional "legal" rp, its always seen as something difficult to do by traditional RPers, and unlike LEO RP it's never had the same enticing value for potential members. 

Some day I would absolutely love to see a horde of independent clinics/rehab services etc, but it's honestly not feasible unless the medical RP scene see's dramatic growth in total members across the different groups. 

Hope that shines some light on this practice business, it's not black and white like we all wished it would be, there are a lot of behind the scenes reasons for why decisions are made the way they are.

Edited by Mecovy
  • Wuhtah locked this topic