Addressing crime in character

hamin

11 minutes ago, Daquan Kingston said:

So it boils down to the fact that both the government and the LSPD are cockblocked by the management, yet the management is okay with the players pretending to be blind & stupid IC when it is convenient, to keep living peacefully in a battle royale kind of state. Am I missing something? I’d rather have military police and be part of that IC reality than seeing people brush off a robbery, without showing any emotions.

Would you still be afraid realistically though? If you got mugged multiple times a week for your entire life I feel like it'd start losing its sting after a few years

1 hour ago, Kowboy said:

''pd response ends up looking like a joke (i.e 3 cars on one traffic stop)'' how about you do some IRL research about LAPD's tactics then comment? ''joke'' he says...man never heard of officer safety policies.

dude im literally n leo myself and do this proudly all the time, i literally just said what u can easily find on the forums whenever a similar subject to this is brought up

also for everyone saying this is stupid, im not expecting a 1:1 or w/e, im just wondering how do u properly take this shit ic because at the end of the day even considering this is a game the amount of crime that goes on is stupidly high, im not saying it should go down, it is a game, im just asking if we're supposed to know LS is like that or to treat it like its much less

2 minutes ago, Sush said:

Would you still be afraid realistically though? If you got mugged multiple times a week for your entire life I feel like it'd start losing its sting after a few years

Matter of fact I’d make all efforts to leave, or would have left the place already if I could afford it. That is why I have a problem as a civillian middle-class character portrayer, to pretend that everything is alright. I get what you mean though, in fact I always hand out my wallet before somebody even asks for it. Haha.

7 minutes ago, Trupiano said:

Exactly this. 

You want to know why the crime rate is so high? Because everyone plays this server for enjoyment. This is a roleplay server built on top of Grand Theft Auto 5, the literal crime video game. Now you can want it to be something different, but your being disingenuous if your shocked and appalled at the amount of crime that is always naturally going to be there on the server. 

Thats fine, let people do what they want, like I said in the original post this isn't about making the server an LEO utopia or a criminal heaven, its about asking how to best portray this shit icly, because I see both people telling me to go wild as an LEO and respond to calls with a carbine rifle, and then I also get people complaining and telling me this shit would never happen and I'm ruining their entire immersion, this  happens so frequently which is why I have made this post in the first place

So again, I don't actually care about the crime rate, it can be even higher if it wants to be, I just want to know if there's an actual set way to react to it in character

Edited by HaminLord
13 minutes ago, Daquan Kingston said:

Matter of fact I’d make all efforts to leave, or would have left the place already if I could afford it. That is why I have a problem as a civillian middle-class character portrayer, to pretend that everything is alright. I get what you mean though, in fact I always hand out my wallet before somebody even asks for it. Haha.

5rvq7k.jpg

Not to sum it up in a meme but this is how it goes for me. Every time we say it's unrealistic we get the "but it's grand theft auto so that's how it is" which is fine I guess but if any person was getting robbed multiple times a week they'd be sitting on their roof with a sniper rifle picking people off within the first 5 months easy. So what I'm getting at is I'm tired of being expected to copy/paste the same "ooh im getting robbed im afraid" script even though any reasonable person would be beyond fed up and either leave San Andreas or start taking extreme matters to solve this problem (picking off robbers with a scoped rifle from a roof, etc). RPing a civilian makes you feel like an NPC from 'Free Guy' where you just repeat the same robbery rp over and over and over and over. "I'm the robber, you're the guy who sits down and takes it". And any retaliation against a criminal character as a civilian character is seen as 'unrealistic' or whatever but in reality anybody who was getting robbed multiple times a week for 20+ years would probably do whatever it takes to stop it.

Edited by Sush
  • Upvote 6
47 minutes ago, Sush said:

5rvq7k.jpg

Not to sum it up in a meme but this is how it goes for me. Every time we say it's unrealistic we get the "but it's grand theft auto so that's how it is" which is fine I guess but if any person was getting robbed multiple times a week they'd be sitting on their roof with a sniper rifle picking people off within the first 5 months easy. So what I'm getting at is I'm tired of being expected to copy/paste the same "ooh im getting robbed im afraid" script even though any reasonable person would be beyond fed up and either leave San Andreas or start taking extreme matters to solve this problem (picking off robbers with a scoped rifle from a roof, etc). RPing a civilian makes you feel like an NPC from 'Free Guy' where you just repeat the same robbery rp over and over and over and over. "I'm the robber, you're the guy who sits down and takes it". And any retaliation against a criminal character as a civilian character is seen as 'unrealistic' or whatever but in reality anybody who was getting robbed multiple times a week for 20+ years would probably do whatever it takes to stop it.

"It's a game based on GTA, so you can't expect realism."

"Okay, then I shouldn't have to fear-RP as much."

"That's not realistic. You should be banned for disregarding realism."

Someone has discovered the 'fun for some' cycle. 

1 hour ago, HaminLord said:

Thats fine, let people do what they want, like I said in the original post this isn't about making the server an LEO utopia or a criminal heaven, its about asking how to best portray this shit icly, because I see both people telling me to go wild as an LEO and respond to calls with a carbine rifle, and then I also get people complaining and telling me this shit would never happen and I'm ruining their entire immersion, this  happens so frequently which is why I have made this post in the first place

So again, I don't actually care about the crime rate, it can be even higher if it wants to be, I just want to know if there's an actual set way to react to it in character

I mean it's down to each and every person to decide how their character reacts to the situation. In your specific example? Yeah it doesn't matter how bad the crime rate is. Police in the United States are not gonna respond to calls with AR-15's strapped up because "Well the crime rates high". They aren't going to act like stone cold PTSD warriors who've seen it all and therefor are unafraid. Is it in the realm of possibility? Sure. But it would be immediately seen as overly armed police antagonizing a civilian population into submission. 

I will admit, PD as a whole is kind of handicapped into being a perfect department by staff and it eliminates the potential for responses that are realistic, fun and at least satisfying for those cops who aren't enjoying constantly taking the L.  You need corruption perms to be a dirty cop but the term "dirty cop" on this server means literally anything less then perfect when in reality, all cops are somewhat dirty. Last time a cop got shot by a gang member in my city? The police department arrested every black male they could find to the point where they maxed out the county jail and started holding people in storage lockers overnight. Am I saying this behavior is acceptable IRL? Absolutely not. But it does happen even if our media doesn't cover it, it should be an option on the table for PD.

55 minutes ago, Sush said:

Not to sum it up in a meme but this is how it goes for me. Every time we say it's unrealistic we get the "but it's grand theft auto so that's how it is" which is fine I guess but if any person was getting robbed multiple times a week they'd be sitting on their roof with a sniper rifle picking people off within the first 5 months easy.

People get annoyed because this just isn't true. Doesn't matter how much of a bad ass you think you are IRL, This isn't gran torino. This isn't a bullshit Chris Kyle Katrina story. Your not gonna take up arms against your local criminal street gang. 

55 minutes ago, Sush said:

And any retaliation against a criminal character as a civilian character is seen as 'unrealistic' or whatever but in reality anybody who was getting robbed multiple times a week for 20+ years would probably do whatever it takes to stop it.

No, only the unrealistic responses are considered unrealistic. Players want either staff to just broadly come down on crime or they want the ability to just shoot it out. Which when talking about how we've got a deathmatch problem on the server, the latter does nothing but make it infinitely worse. In reality however, there are very realistic and effective solutions you can undertake which nobody who's been bitching about this is willing to try. Putting on political pressure to get things done.

My American city is going through it's worst period of crime in the last 20 years. Robberies, shootings and carjackings are a constant occurrence all day and night. What is the community doing about it? They aren't rushing to secure CCW permits or calling for the military to intervene. They're protesting in the street every day, demanding answers from their elected politicians. Where the hell was the police when they got robbed? Where were the police when there was a shooting in their area? What are we paying millions of tax dollars to them for their budget if they aren't able to do their job?

We could give the LSPD armored personnel carriers for daily patrol and implement immediate stop and frisk on anyone they want and I wouldn't care as long as it was implemented through IC lobbying and legislation. But no, just like legalizing weed everyone wants to bitch on the forums until staff just does all the heavy lifting for them. 

Edited by Trupiano
14 minutes ago, Trupiano said:

People get annoyed because this just isn't true. Doesn't matter how much of a bad ass you think you are IRL, This isn't gran torino. This isn't a bullshit Chris Kyle Katrina story. Your not gonna take up arms against your local criminal street gang. 

That wasn't the point of my post. And we both know the people doing this aren't criminal RPers either. They're just robo-thugs who only care about getting more guns.

Here's one from a couple weeks ago:

https://streamable.com/y1pqbb

Look at how hard this player slams on the brakes and then tries to ram me off my bike just for the chance of robbing my character. They aren't roleplaying in GTA:World, they're playing Rust or Day-Z and are just trying to kill 'geared players' for their loot. That's it, it was never about roleplay.

The prime example of this is once the /rob command was introduced robbers started riding around 4 deep so they could take turns using the /rob command so their daily /rob totals didn't get high enough to be noticed by staff. It also demonstrates a play-to-win mentality as riding around with 4 dudes essentially ensures you 'win' every robbery you engage in.

Edited by Sush
  • Wuhtah locked this topic