Addressing crime in character

hamin

If I took it fully IC, living in Los Santos is non-fear RP and poor portrayal, because the violence isn't just high by American standards, it's a war zone with bodies littering the streets. None of my characters are so desperately poor or have such strong attachments that they wouldn't just move. Stepping outside, since I play women and admins have instructed us to RP empty streets? Absurdly non-fear RP, you should be allowed to CK me for walking to the corner store IC.

Good robberies are easy to address IC. Goofy robberies are hard to.

If I'm walking on the street and I get caught in a back alley and a single guy pulls a knife on me, that's easy. They take what I have and I can tell people of this time I was mugged.

If I'm in Del Perro just enjoying a walk in the pier with my girlfriend and four guys in pig masks jump out of a blacked-out SUV with weapons, to relieve us of a total of $1000 and two phones, to split between the four of them for a profit of maybe $250 each in a deal that happens in 2 minutes, it's going to be hard to address it without people needing to just default to "that's crazy" and not mentioning it again.

That's the short of it.

• Upvote 1

I dont understand how a "heavy rp" community can boat about their standards and skills when they can't even keep up their suspension of disbelief. gta world is not real life, it can never be 1:1 and it should absolutely never be 1:1. gta world is a figment of real life, heavily exaggerated and cherry-picked to be more intense and interesting. people with real life obligations and limited time for roleplay might want to skip over the mundane parts of their character's lives and only rp the interesting bits. the rest is assumed and NPC-ed. 

these conversations about "taking the crime rate IC" are dumb and will never go anywhere. people RP to have fun in a more realistic, grounded setting. is it that hard to ignore a few robberies and shootings and accept that everything on gta:w is condensed into a shorter, easier to digest form?

• Applaud 1

People have adapted to the amount of crimes happening in certain areas of the city, if a person were to see a dead body IRL on every street corner, they'll eventually learn to deal with it or just won't care. The same can be said for LEO factions, it happens over and over and over again that a Officer/Deputy is shot for pulling a vehicle over for failing to yield in specific areas, and at that point you're gonna have 2-3 backup units for a simple traffic stop. This won't happen as fast in areas like West Vinewood where the crime rate is pretty low.

Like mentioned in some comments before this, acknowledging every bad thing would realistically give your character extreme trauma.

I only allow well developed misfortunes to affect my character, crimes against me that have a purpose other than transferring assets into someone else’s pockets within a 3 minute interaction.

Not much more to it.

Only thing I don't understand is why is it frowned upon for civilian characters to defend themselves against robbery if they have the opportunity to do so? I've seen and heard about few reports where a civilian was about to get robbed and they drew their gun to defend themselves, but somehow that was "not good enough of an excuse." Why is it that I can roleplay a 12 years old and do domestic terrorism as long as I claim I'm an illegal character, but as a humble civilian I'm not even allowed to defend myself? Hell, it should be non RP fear itself not wanting to own a gun in a state like San Andreas with what goes down almost every week.

These crime rate conversations aren't worth it, in the end we can never be 1:1 to how it is in real life probably not even close. I don't think there's a single RP server out there that doesn't have a high crime rate and if anything GTAW probably has the better crime rate than a lot of the voice servers. Reason for this is simply because it's a video game, people have lives outside of the game and for a lot only a few hours to play each day so during those few hours they want to RP the interesting parts of their character which for criminal characters is doing crime. Best people can do is take it IC and report the low effort robberies ect.

• Wuhtah locked this topic