Addressing crime in character

hamin

2 minutes ago, Amellis said:

The thing is, the rules are shielding them... If someone aims a gun at you, out of fear for your life, your natural response can be to... Run away. This is a realistic scenario and people very rarely get murdered for it for reasons that don't exist in game... Many people WILL hear the shot, you're likely to be recorded at any point prior, during and after the crime, you leave many evidences behind that forensics can actually work with, but most important: You'll likely get caught and spend YEARS in jail.

Now, you do that in GTA:W, /report for DM and the rules say you PG'ed by not fearing for your character's life. The thieves walk away with it because the investigators have nothing but a corpse and a few casings and even in the stupid, extremely highly unlikely scenario where you get caught, you're sent to jail for a few days and boom. Free to do it again with nothing but an extra charge for the next time you get caught, if it even happens.

And hey, it's powergaming for the victims but not for the thiefs. They clearly are fearing for their lives by killing someone simply because they had to ask for their wallet twice...

Edit: With this I kinda sound like I only support one side. That's not the case, I support ROLEPLAY. That is NOT roleplay.

I mean, if one flees from several armed gun-men and they get murdered, then it should be a CK for non-fear RP. The same exists for the illegal side when they do something that is non-fearful, as-well.

If armed gunman aim a firearm at you, and state "Don't move", and you decide to move. They'll more than likely shoot you for not complying. Usually, those shots are a jerk reaction rather than a logical response, as the armed robber is also heated, in the moment, during the robbery.

It should be a CK instead of an ajail etc... as it was an IC reaction that wasn't really smart.

1 minute ago, DasFroggy said:

Assuming the staff don't shut down the legislature and OOC declare the new measures 'too disruptive' to be allowed, that'll just result in more complaints about things being 'too tough' for criminals. It'll get shut down and we'll be back where we were, with people telling us to try it again, only to be told by staff that we shouldn't have been allowed to try it in the first place.

If you get me a unanimous admin agreement that any legislation can be passed to fight crime without any OOC interference, I'll take your suggestion seriously, and fight for legislation to put an end to the rampant crime.

As a person that RPs as primarily illegal characters, I'd prefer if marijuana were to be legal under certain doses. Legalization of marijuana actually increased sales in the hood, as government regulation limited people's options in the legal market. But, aside from that... give it a shot. Strike and protest and allow it all to be handled, ICly. 

Try now, complain later... we'll see what happens.

1 minute ago, DLimit said:

Try now, complain later... we'll see what happens.

Legislation has been tried before, but it's been discovered that there's an OOC balance against legislative action. If any law or legislation is 'too disruptive' then it is automatically denied OOC.

The legislature is toothless, they can't do anything to chat this crime epidemic, and even if they could, what could possibly be implemented to fight crime without becoming an oppressive police state?

I'll get ahead of you and say that no amount of funding or laws can combat metagaming. MegaCity-9 Roleplay died so hard by trying to tapdance around the core issue, that you can't even find the wiki page anymore. This was despite having street Judges armed with the best vehicles, the best weapons, and the most controlling laws.

If one side is allowed to metagame, the other won't have much power to do anything. 

13 minutes ago, DLimit said:

If armed gunman aim a firearm at you, and state "Don't move", and you decide to move. They'll more than likely shoot you for not complying. Usually, those shots are a jerk reaction rather than a logical response, as the armed robber is also heated, in the moment, during the robbery.

It should be a CK instead of an ajail etc... as it was an IC reaction that wasn't really smart.

Only if the situation has equal potential if reversed. If the target victim panics, pulls a gun and successfully dispatches the people/muggers/criminals threatening them, it should be CKs for the criminals.

No questions about their background, no inquiries behind their thought process. They panicked, the criminals died. Case closed.

I just fail to see where being killed for moving is of anyone's enjoyment. I've personally been PK'ed during a shootout for trying to save my character's life, despite this meaning the robbers got nothing out of me. It was a proper "Fuck you" where the only emotes I saw throughout the entire interaction were after the kill (when you're supposed to RP things first) and were: "x smokes y" and "z blows y's brains out". And I am the one to blame there because my character, who deals with that and worse scenarios on a daily basis, who has been aimed at and even shot at countless times... didn't kneel and pray for her life, but instead seek a more realistic outcome?

By the way, the robbers knew my character was a police officer. Why would they care? It was only the Del perro Pier, one of the most packed spots in the city (realistically but not in-game).

Why is the city empty? Because of the players who /me aims a gun at x's head and... A) Get in the car foo / B) Run yo pockets followed by /me checks x's waistline.

March of 2020, a third of the active players, 400 at peak hours on Fridays, the city was so much more alive, businesses included, that rarely happened and the general love for RP made many of the pettiest crimes enjoyable for both the criminals and the victims.

Crime is shockingly high, yeah. But, it's a video game, so not everyone wants to rp some boring 24/7 cashier, or something mundane, as they're probably playing GTA:W to get away from IRL commitments. If the crime is stupid, it should be reported, ICly, there's only so much PD and SD can do to combat it, just like in real life, we can't be everywhere. If there is an influx of crimes, especially shootings, and shootings against peace officers, we implement IC measures to counteract it and try and get a handle on it, but most of this behaviour everyone is talking about is just poor roleplay. I'm not saying all crime is bad, or poorly roleplayed, but it's pretty clear when someone is just aiming to achieve their own personal goals and get into shootouts instead of progressing their characters in some meaningful way.

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, Nunwithagun said:

it's a video game, so not everyone wants to rp some boring 24/7 cashier, or something mundane, as they're probably playing GTA:W to get away from IRL commitments.

its like every other day t here is a thread shitting on the illegal community and it always ends the same, nothing.

Edited by ZaE
7 minutes ago, Nunwithagun said:

But, it's a video game, so not everyone wants to rp some boring 24/7 cashier, or something mundane, as they're probably playing GTA:W to get away from IRL commitments.

Been there, seen it. I can't take a walk with my friends because we'll be robbed / kidnapped. Do I, as a legal RPer, have fewer rights than illegal RPers? I understand both sides and I am not against criminal RP in any way. If anything, I'm annoyed that many dumb restrictions have to be put in place thanks to the same people. They're screwing with both legal and illegal RPers, but all it takes is one of those scenes to make you, Average Joe, who only wanted to chill at the skate park with another friend and got jumped by MASK_whatever to kill your mood and make you want to stop playing for the day.

I don't want crime to stop. I want the unfun type of crime that is making us lose good roleplayers and gain bad ones to end. I want to be able to sit in my backyard at midnight simply because I feel like it and not be interrupted by three guys with stolen PF guns for the $300 bucks I have on me and the phone they'll have to throw away once I cancel the contract (if they even make it past the security code) and if it happens, I want it to be an enjoyable experience like any other. You can't win them all and oh boy can I take an L. Just putting it out there.

Edited by Amellis
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Amellis said:

Been there, seen it. I can't take a walk with my friends because we'll be robbed / kidnapped. Do I, as a legal RPer, have less rights than illegal RPers? I understand both sides and I am not against criminal RP in any way. If anything, I'm annoyed that many dumb restrictions have to be put in place thanks to the same people. They're screwing with both legal and illegal RPers, but all it takes is one of those scenes to make you, Average Joe, who only wanted to chill at the skate park with another friend and got jumped by MASK_whatever to kill your mood and make you want to stop playing for the day.

I don't want crime to stop. I want the unfun type of crime that is making us lose good roleplayers and gain bad ones end. I want to be able to sit in my backyard at midnight simply because and not be interrupted by three guys with stolen PF guns for the $300 bucks I have on me and the phone they'll have to throw away once I cancel the contract (if they even make it past the security code)

Completely agree with you, I'm not saying you don't have less rights, I'm just saying, in these MASK crimes, of constant robberies, there's normally a trend, so if you think that it's not up to par, report them. ICly, there's not much you can do about it.

6 minutes ago, Amellis said:

I don't want crime to stop. I want the unfun type of crime that is making us lose good roleplayers and gain bad ones to end. I want to be able to sit in my backyard at midnight simply because I feel like it and not be interrupted by three guys with stolen PF guns for the $300 bucks I have on me and the phone they'll have to throw away once I cancel the contract (if they even make it past the security code) and if it happens, I want it to be an enjoyable experience like any other. You can't win them all and oh boy can I take an L. Just putting it out there.

I want this too. But how CAN people stop these bad rpers from coming about? Besides the obvious "INSANT BAN!" There isn't much you can do besides report them, and if more people reported and better punishments were handed out, these threads that always derail into people shitting in the illegal community wouldn't exist as much.

Edited by ZaE
4 minutes ago, Nunwithagun said:

But, it's a video game, so not everyone wants to rp some boring 24/7 cashier, or something mundane,

Not everyone wants to roleplay getting hospitalized any time they go outside either. I've seen someone fully cooperate with a mugging only to get beaten by several hammers and then shot in the leg "to keep him from calling the cops".

1 minute ago, Amellis said:

I understand both sides and I am not against criminal RP in any way.

This is a tragically hilarious part of the debate that always comes up - the accusation that the people voicing their opinion have no idea what criminal roleplay is.

Like, come on, I run a decent car theft ring, this isn't just whining. I can literally see from within that something is rotting out the criminal community, and everyone's so afraid of dealing with it that they let it fester until...

Oh boy! 

More rules.

Only, the rules aren't coming fast enough, and people are leaving. Asking "why is the city so empty" is essentially GTAW tradition now, and nobody wants to deal with it.

I've resigned to a simple truth - it's going to get worse, and when a competing text roleplay community opens, it'll blow a hole in the side of our community.

• Wuhtah locked this topic