Addressing crime in character

hamin

So its no secret LS is fucking wild when it comers to crime rates, and we all are aware that this is extremely unrealistic, so ive just wondered, how do we rly handle this from an ic standpoint?

I keep seeing people argue (primarily when pd/sd or law enforcement as a whole is involved) that the crime rate is on overkill, which is why LEOs sometimes go overkill themselves in their response, but then the counter argument to that the pd response ends up looking like a joke (i.e 3 cars on one traffic stop)

There's also the very weird feeling when someone gets robbed in character and then a few minutes afterward just goes on about their day, knowing it happens alot, or how ppl avoid doing things because they know both ic and ooc theyre just gonna get robbed or etc

So, just making this to see, is there an actual set way to treat this in character? And if not, what rly should be the most "realistic" way to go about this? Before people think I'm outright going against crim or leo rp, no, its cool and do ur thing, it should stick around, I'm just wondering how we're actually supposed all of this when we actually roleplay ic

Also pls, dont make this toxic

If this was already brought up b4, sry for doing it again lol

I've always questioned, if crime were really on overkill, then would Law enforcement possess the resources to have three vehicles on a traffic stop? I'd presume that they'd be preoccupied with the heavier crimes since they seem to be so common.

I just take it all IC. Hard to really respond to this question, in detail, as there's different variables on how one should RP I.C. crime. Each character perceives it, differently.

Edited by DLimit
8 minutes ago, DLimit said:

Each character perceives it, differently

Ye, I'm generally asking whether or not we treat LS like a 1990s Iraq or do we just go on normally and just treat it like real life LA in terms of the crime rate (which is also fairly high in real life LA, just not as high as it is on the server)

1 minute ago, HaminLord said:

Ye, I'm generally asking whether or not we treat LS like a 1990s Iraq or do we just go on normally and just treat it like real life LA in terms of the crime rate (which is also fairly high in real life LA, just not as high as it is on the server)

Pretty much, every thing is IC unless voided by the admins. If a 100 people are murdered in a day, then a hundred people are murdered in a day. 

1 minute ago, HaminLord said:

Issue is nobody wants to portray it this way because it's simply stupid. While, yes, the crime rates are pretty high and exaggerated, you also need to consider the types of those crimes. We don't see no car-bombing shit straight out of the 1980s or serial killers. It's primarily crimes carried out by street gangs (so drug offences, shootings, and robberies), so I'd say it really does make sense right now. Obviously there's also a number of trigger-happy people who get into shootings solely for the sake of shooting somebody up, but that doesn't change the fact that in terms of LA portrayal the crimes that take place on the server are usually realistic and fit into the environment. 

Well we only need to crack down the constant shootings and robberies. People need to stop driving to the other end of town just to kidnap random people off the street to rob them. What is more, we need to resolve the poor escalations that happen every day. People here will shoot you over any verbal altercation which is simply insane. 

People also need to change their view about crime. Most people just simply ignore dead bodies on the floor or people that just got shot/injured. Even cops ignore that, they just drive past it.

Edited by sCrax

As someone who's been robbed a lot, I have given this some thought.

I've been robbed in a manner I found, perhaps not rewarding but fair, and in a manner which I found to be disheartening and a real killer of any motivation I had to rp that day, and it was never the amount I was robbed, but rather how.

A few times I've been robbed walking down a sunny street of a busy road, or in an area that should be crowded with npcs. I've had robbers take advantage of the fact it is morning and the population is low, and the fact that not many people are around at that exact moment despite you are in a well known club and restaurant area in clear view.

Negative rp experience: Car spots me walking alone down the pavement of usually a busy road, guys jumps out in a masks with guns, stressing knowing they have chosen a bad spot. They shout for you to move move move partially around the corner, still knowing this is a bad spot, they yell to just do /rob or show inventory, they moan at you for trying to emote, they tell you ooc repeatedly (and this happens a lot) they will report you to the admins unless you show your inventory right now and accuse you of stalling if you try and emote more than just. /me looks scared. as I hand them your 300 dollars.

Less negative rp experience: I walked down somewhere stupid, back of a building, or I was stalked until the robber found me in a place that he could now do his move, and now I face the consequences. The robber knows no police or anyone is likely going to wander near here in the next few minutes. He takes his time to emote, I get time to emote my reactions, he gets my 300 dollars and I walk away having had a proper rp encounter that I can play off for the rest of the day.

If robbery only happen in areas that realistically they can get away with it, down alleyways, behind buildings, edge of town or parts of the city that wouldn't be crowded with npcs that would report you on the spot, and robbers chose to only go for people and locations where you can both engage in the rp properly, it would:

- Limit the shitty robbery experience people have.
- Encourage people to not feel they must stay indoors to avoid being robbed. People would walk more rather than drive down the main streets.
- And all together the focus would be more on creating an interesting experience for everyone involved, instead of the robber wanting to feel powerful in ooc shouting at you to give them 300 dollars while ic spamming you with slurs and accusing you of stalling because you're trying to emote something in response.

That is my experience and fix.

Edited by Natala
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1
36 minutes ago, sCrax said:

Well we only need to crack down the constant shootings and robberies. People need to stop driving to the other end of town just to kidnap random people off the street to rob them. What is more, we need to resolve the poor escalations that happen every day. People here will shoot you over any verbal altercation which is simply insane. 

People also need to change their view about crime. Most people just simply ignore dead bodies on the floor or people that just got shot/injured. Even cops ignore that, they just drive past it.

This is chicken and the egg though. I'm not going to ask anyone to properly roleplay bodies/injuries when it's so common. If we forced people to properly roleplay every interaction with violence in this server every character ought to be PTSD ridden hulks.

• Wuhtah locked this topic