What ethnicity/nationality gets little representation here?

Kai

Indians, South East Asian population, Polynesian people and native American people. I'd love to see more Polynesian people, I was briefly playing one a couple of months ago and it surprised me how little people know about them. I was having to explain a lot of her culture to people ICly, just because people didn't know what it was. Very interesting!

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Wremlish said:

Indians, South East Asian population, Polynesian people and native American people. I'd love to see more Polynesian people, I was briefly playing one a couple of months ago and it surprised me how little people know about them. I was having to explain a lot of her culture to people ICly, just because people didn't know what it was. Very interesting!

Tbh it's surprising to see a lot of people you'd more often see elsewhere - like according to the last US census, most people from Eastern Europe and their descendents would be found on the eastern coast and around Dakota, same for "Italians" (whose last Italian ancestor usually was 3+ generations ago lol). We have a plethora of those, the place looks like 1982 New York City. Meanwhile, the RL equivalent of San Andreas (California) is supposed to have over 700k native americans, and about 40% of their immigrant population is supposed to be from south-east asia and the pacific 😞 

Not saying we should be playing a 1:1 version of California (please god no lol), but this super strong disparity is a bit surprising. :x Could be cool to see more Filippinos for example, there's around 600k around Los Angeles alone.

7 hours ago, Topinambour said:

Tbh it's surprising to see a lot of people you'd more often see elsewhere - like according to the last US census, most people from Eastern Europe and their descendents would be found on the eastern coast and around Dakota, same for "Italians" (whose last Italian ancestor usually was 3+ generations ago lol). We have a plethora of those, the place looks like 1982 New York City. Meanwhile, the RL equivalent of San Andreas (California) is supposed to have over 700k native americans, and about 40% of their immigrant population is supposed to be from south-east asia and the pacific 😞 

Not saying we should be playing a 1:1 version of California (please god no lol), but this super strong disparity is a bit surprising. :x Could be cool to see more Filippinos for example, there's around 600k around Los Angeles alone.

Tongva/Native player here. Native American in the case of Los Santos/California wouldn't be too striking, because at the end of the day Native American tribes have state recognition but really, their culture is too destroyed and eroded in the case of California to have given them the federal recognition other tribes in the country enjoy.

At a glance, most Native Americans in California (unless they are heavily invested in returning to their roots and engaging in general "Native American Culture") would be fairly indistinguishable from say Latinos, particularly since many LS Natives have Spanish last names (from the times when the Spanish were settled there). One has to be careful and mindful of this when playing a Native in GTAW, in order to not just create caricatures that don't reflect native realities in the US/Cali/LS.

I do miss having more South-east Asians particularly. I tried to make a Sikh but I found nothing to suit a turban, but I might  in future try to play someone of that heritage again.

Edited by Koko
  • Upvote 2
  • Wuhtah locked this topic