What ethnicity/nationality gets little representation here?

Kai

On 10/25/2021 at 7:20 AM, Catsmoon said:

Solution to that is being American with roots going back to those countries. Want to be a Eastern European character? Be a 2nd or 3rd generation Russian-American. Want to be Japanese character? 2nd or 3rd generation Japanese-American.  I've been seeing a lot of characters lately that are 1st generation immigrants from Spain. 

Nah the trend is 1st generation immigrant from Norway, Japan or UK, lmao imagine immigrating from these highly developed western countries to this Chicago crime rate infested city, it would make no sense IRL what so ever lmao, people need to dedicate more time to research proper character portrayal, just look up the documentation you need to immigrate to the US in 2020/2021 you either need to be a top tier scientist to be called here for work or you either are a tourist staying for maximum of 6 months or you came illegally, honestly.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Kankoush said:

Would love to see more Chechen characters that actually know how to portray and represent a Chechen person.

Have a lot of Chechen friends, that could be my job 😛 Definitely true bro, selam!

• Upvote 1

Swiss! Zwiffy needs some Swiss companionship.

In all seriousness though, probably some authentic ethnic roleplaying from any ethnicity. I find that quite often people role-play characters based heavily off of stereotypes. I think people should veer away from portraying a character with a cultural background they are unfamiliar with. However, if I really had to give an opinion - I'd be less worried about ethnicity and instead focus on improving realism through realistic characters that develop over time.

One of my characters is young and lonely now, and he's experienced far too much for me to even consider how I'm going to portray him. I do wonder how so many can continue their character's stories after facing so much hardship. To me, this character is broken and I just don't think I'd find enjoyment in roleplaying his apathetic and drug-afflicted lifestyle.

what does being a unique ethnicity add to your character story?  would walter white be a better character if he was a Kenyan living in New Mexico?

too many people think a character is interesting because you've mashed in a thousand weird character traits or nationalities into the mix. 

ur military vet/antifa member yugoslavian-japanese character with a metal leg and a stutter is NOT FUN to rolepaly with

for you to form a connection to a character and therefore properly appreciate them they must be RELATABLE. people RELATE to tony soprano because he's a masculine individual struggling with mental health. its something that we, as the viewer/reader, can have some sort of connection with. people cant relate to him being a mob boss.

and yes we need to have a serious conversation about stopping the british invasion, my last thread was closed 😞

Edited by Gallagher
  • Upvote 1
On 10/25/2021 at 1:27 AM, imi said:

Americans in LS, everyone has a British accent... (don't hurt me please...!) Or at least just more 'normal LS residents'.

I like that this is the first comment, playing as an American in the city feels alienating with majority being of some foreign origin. It’s more appropriate to roleplay in the county if you want to meet characters your character can relate to.

On 10/26/2021 at 3:24 PM, Kowboy said:

Nah the trend is 1st generation immigrant from Norway, Japan or UK, lmao imagine immigrating from these highly developed western countries to this Chicago crime rate infested city, it would make no sense IRL what so ever lmao, people need to dedicate more time to research proper character portrayal, just look up the documentation you need to immigrate to the US in 2020/2021 you either need to be a top tier scientist to be called here for work or you either are a tourist staying for maximum of 6 months or you came illegally, honestly.

As an actual Norwegian IRL, I fully agree with this comment and can explain how unrealistic it would be for a large influx of first-generation Norwegian characters to suddenly appear on the server. Third generation? Sure. Around 800,000 Norwegians migrated to the US about a century ago when the nation was at its poorest. Obviously that has changed a lot in the last 100 years or so.

While I hate to turn this into a political statement, there was actually a bit of a debacle about it here in 2018 after Trump during his time as President made some comments about wanting "fewer immigrants from shithole countries and more immigrants from places like Norway". Because why the fuck would anyone living comfortably in Norway, want to move to a country such as the US?
Norway is one of the richest countries in the world, health care is free, kindergarten is very affordable, parental leave is for a full year and so on.

There are simply no reasons for most Norwegians to move to the US in 2021, and I also wish that people took that into account when creating their character instead of just trying to be a special snowflake by picking a obscure country just for the sake of being unique. 

Rant over. 

• Applaud 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic