Do you think criminals are way too open about their criminal activity?

caballero

6 minutes ago, Callum said:

I roleplay a civillian taxi driver, Abdul Ghailani. The amount of people that get in the car and try and sell me cocaine is unbelievable.

I've had several people openly talk about LSPD raiding their crew, houses and catching other members with "bricks" on their person, whether it's bullshit and they want to seem cool, I don't know. But it's a problem. Do I get CK'd if I 911 that, because I'm disregarding my life against potentially a hard earned criminal? (that actively boasts about making a fortune)

tl;dr. idiots that cant roleplay and forcing conversation.

Ah yes the mentality on this server, dial 911 and eat a CK for snitching. Criminal rpers, not everyone mind you, are literally digging their own graves everytime they log in.

4 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

Ah yes the mentality on this server, dial 911 and eat a CK for snitching. Criminal rpers, not everyone mind you, are literally digging their own graves everytime they log in.

Witness intimidation would be one thing, or straight up eliminating someone for interfering with an OCG, but spending a few hours in jail and coming back to kill someone is just retarded, especially considering it'd only be over a few thousand. Not to mention the consequences of investigation never happens after it, either.

X reports Y to police

Y gets arrested

Y gets released

X gets murdered

LSPD never treat the death as suspicious circumstances

Y continues living his life, completely forgetting about murdering someone

4 minutes ago, Callum said:

Witness intimidation would be one thing, or straight up eliminating someone for interfering with an OCG, but spending a few hours in jail and coming back to kill someone is just retarded, especially considering it'd only be over a few thousand. Not to mention the consequences of investigation never happens after it, either.

X reports Y to police

Y gets arrested

Y gets released

X gets murdered

LSPD never treat the death as suspicious circumstances

Y continues living his life, completely forgetting about murdering someone

Imo it is usually the criminal's fault that they put themselves into a situation when someone calls 911. Just like you mentioned people openly talking about crimes or offering you drugs in your taxi. That alone may lead to poor portrayal or escalation maybe even provoking, cause they are putting themselves into a situation where you may finish your fare and then call 911. I live in cenral Europe, in here taxi drivers are bit edgy, somebody mentions something illegal whilst in their car, they pull over and ask the passengers to leave immediately.

Edited by Engelbert
  • Upvote 2

Yes. 

Line them up against a wall and it's easy as breathing to point out who's an illegal character and who isn't. No digging is needed either as it's usually the illegal roleplayers who set themselves up by writing unnecessary, extensive lines about how their character's tattoos associate themselves to a certain organization even though my perfectly legal character has absolutely no clue about the criminal underworld and what goes on in it because he steers away from it so he could never know the true meaning behind them, how they garb themselves without any regard or consideration for the area they're frequenting, their names which most often lack originality and are as plain as a canvas before a painter's touch, and so on. It's become a stereotype on the server at this point.

The worst part about it is, you see it everywhere. Surely players shouldn't be restricted about wherever they go around the map, neither should they have to roleplay in a way that has to please others in order for them to exist, but please keep in mind the area you're roleplaying in as well as how you approach other characters who are clearly from a different world than yours. It is very immersion-breaking to see a bunch of 13-14 year old teens pulling up to a boutique in Rockford Hills and act like thugs who own the place in front of people who are deep-pocketed, street-smart and usually above-average intelligence. Don't be so open about your association with illegal activities and maybe people will be more receptive to your character and the huge gap that there currently exists on the server between the legal and illegal sides of roleplay can be reduced.

Edited by Shaderz

Yeah, definitely a little easy to tell who's a criminal and who's not. But at the end of the day, people are just trying to have fun through RP, so if they want to be obvious and play as a side character from the Godfather so they can find others to RP with, all power to them. Not my thing, so not my usual crowd. I like more of a slow burn and not obvious reveal, so I try to RP with people with similar mindsets. I find it more rewarding to have my character's criminal history and present revealed through IC events (slipups when trying to keep lies straight, accidental overlapping of social circles, having to call from jail after being arrested) than to just start flexing guns on people my character met a few days ago.

I think people just need a little more moderation too. Crime is a broad category. Most people wouldn't blink if someone they just met / don't know very well revealed they're into drugs, but I think the story would be different if they just came out and said they're part of some OCG.

35 minutes ago, Shaderz said:

their names which most often lack originality and are as plain as a canvas before a painter's touch, and so on. It's become a stereotype on the server at this point.

There's a few comments on this thread along this vein that bug me and it makes me think how much of an impact might be had if nametags were completely removed from the server. People see a group of Russian nametags or Italian-American nametags and they immediately, be it often times correctly (Since this is Grand Theft Auto, a game based entirely around crime) assume they are criminals. But how is that the players fault? Your the one letting your RP be effected by an OOC nametag.

44 minutes ago, Trupiano said:

There's a few comments on this thread along this vein that bug me and it makes me think how much of an impact might be had if nametags were completely removed from the server. People see a group of Russian nametags or Italian-American nametags and they immediately, be it often times correctly (Since this is Grand Theft Auto, a game based entirely around crime) assume they are criminals. But how is that the players fault? Your the one letting your RP be effected by an OOC nametag.

You missed my point. It's the way they conduct themselves in certain places that is bothering and genuinely frustrating to deal with at times. If you head somewhere that's clearly out of your comfort zone, don't act in a way as if you were hanging around your hood. Doing so automatically causes uncalled for issues that oftentimes aren't even realistic at all. Your behavior changes depending on the place you're at and the people around you and I feel as though this is something that, although not exclusive to illegal roleplayers only, a lot of them fail at doing when they visit somewhere that isn't where they typically hang out at.

What you're mentioning in regards to the nametags is simply me describing, from my point of view, how a lot of illegal roleplayers come across these days from an OOC standpoint. It's got nothing to do with how I roleplay around them. Taking nametags IC would be one of the most basic forms of metagaming.

Edited by Shaderz
4 hours ago, Callum said:

I roleplay a civillian taxi driver, Abdul Ghailani. The amount of people that get in the car and try and sell me cocaine is unbelievable.

I've had several people openly talk about LSPD raiding their crew, houses and catching other members with "bricks" on their person, whether it's bullshit and they want to seem cool, I don't know. But it's a problem. Do I get CK'd if I 911 that, because I'm disregarding my life against potentially a hard earned criminal? (that actively boasts about making a fortune)

tl;dr. idiots that cant roleplay and forcing conversation.

Why would you call 911 about a situation that already happened? Their crib was raided and their bricks were seized. It's not unrealistic for criminals to boast about past crimes that won't incriminate them, especially when they've already been incriminated.

Just now, DLimit said:

Why would you call 911 about a situation that already happened? Their crib was raided and their bricks were seized. It's not unrealistic for criminals to boast about past crimes that won't incriminate them, especially when they've already been incriminated.

I meant 911 about them trying to sell drugs to me in general, not boasting about previous offenses. I worded it incorrectly when reformatting.

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic