What's with PD pulling out SWAT for anything and everything?

Yerrr

I've been seeing SWAT (a team majority made up of a good amount of females, thats for another topic) responding to the littlest things in big swat trucks with people dangling off the sides and shit. It's to the point I don't see normal uniformed PD officers or rarely see them. Is this a normal thing in Cali? Do SWAT patrol in their big trucks with dudes off the sides and shit regularly? It seems that they do street patrols in these things and from someone that lives in the NA I've never seen SWAT rolling around the way they do IG.

Is this what Cali is like IRL? I've never been.

• Upvote 1

IC actions require IC reactions. It would be justified to have SWAT or the MILITARY paroling the streets daily considering we have cars of kill squads going around robbing and killing anyone and everything. 

Actually, I support military checkpoints!

• Upvote 18
  • Applaud 4
7 minutes ago, Late said:

IC actions require IC reactions. It would be justified to have SWAT or the MILITARY paroling the streets daily considering we have cars of kill squads going around robbing and killing anyone and everything. 

Actually, I support military checkpoints!

Lol'd thank you for this

Late summed it up, you can't expect normal police response like you would see in Cali when we get mass murders every night. When the crime rate will be reallistic, police response will be realistic, as in 1:1 with LA. But since we have a death rate similar to WW2, that ain't happening.

SWAT cruising around geared up for nothing and just out and about is just as much of a portrayal issue as it is having a 10:4 ratio 10 being female swat members and 4 being males.

It seems they just want to show out and use their cool SUVs (I agree, they look cool!) but pulling out a SWAT team for every little thing down to even prank calls? Cmon bro lol. I'm surprised I don't see them propelling down from the helicopters busting through rooftop windows.

Chicago is rough, I have yet to see SWAT just cruising around looking for some shit to get into.

No amount of response even begins to be justified with this city's crime. 

In real life, LAPD metro has a ton of platoons. While it is true that D (SWAT) doesn't do what we consider patrol, there are other tactical platoons that use much of the same gear (minus some extreme items such as snipers, IEDs etc, other vests) that D does. C platoon, for example. They do perform crime suppression in heavy crime areas, tactical response etc. There are several platoons that are basically the same as C-Platoon.

We don't have these platoons. We used to, but it got closed due to staffing/logistical issues and everyone was put under SWAT instead.

We take the duties of the other platoons (except H platoon and K9) which includes running crime supression patrols. We also patrol in regular uniforms in marked cruisers which carry all our gear (except for like snipers/explosives etc) we'd carry on crime supression. 

And yes. If on crime supression, we sometimes go to lower-risk situations because of staffing issues. It's not unrealistic even for the LAPD. If you're close-by, you roll out.

Even if we would look at realism, the LAPD has a 24/7 on-standby SWAT team that can gear up and roll out in minutes. Response times are cut because the map just isn't big, so we can gear up and roll out from anywhere of 1-10 minutes after getting paged and get anywhere within 10 more. So the highest response time of SWAT is 20 minutes. The lowest is 0 minutes.

Now. I do not think that the current situation is over the top. With our crime rate, there would be MUCH more tactical presence. Every cop would have a rifle in their car (there is a limit to rifles now) and patrol with plate carriers around the clock. crime supression would be ran 24/7 by both PD and SD.

Edited by BjornV
  • Rohan. locked this topic