Faction Syllabus

Chuckles

I'm definitely not the first to defend a staff team for no good reason. But I feel like the GTAW IFM team know who deserves official or not, whether or not that it's in the time frame that the applicants want.  Sure, things can change but that's what discussions are for. I'm open to people voicing their opinion and I hope if people bring up some actual valid points other than "give me official" IFM will listen.

Other than that, stay blessed.

For reference, this is not a size vs structure thread, it was an example to emphasize the point that factions who tick all the boxes are worse off than some who tick some of the boxes. It is a comparison.

By any standard, one day vs three weeks is a very contrasting. And surely if management/IFM leadership look into it they will find inconsistencies. We need to voice these problems for them to be addressed. I know a lot of people share similar views and I would appreciate if this thread can be served as a stomping ground for opinions without derailing the thread.

I used my faction as an example because I didn't want to single anybody out.

Edited by Chuckles

I won't talk much on the other things but someone mentioned that getting official is anti-climatic and doesn't come with any benefits. I agree. Now I hate to mention communities of the past but reaching official and obtaining the perks that it came with often kept a lot of people in line simply because there was a goal to be achieved. From what I've seen having an "official" faction doesn't actually do much. 

I've to agree. Very often groups who really should be scrutinized properly end up being made official, without this entire due process of some background checks. I feel like IFM should come up with an answer to this and say something along the lines of "hey while reviewing your application we'll be looking into this, this and that, and possibly into something else because it was brought to our attention". What I think also could be done, IFM could simply release a short note explaining why a group was made official, be it the uniqueness of their concept or simply very good portrayal etc.

Edited by i dont wanna od in LA
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, wheres the skante said:

One issue that I personally have with the system of unofficial to official is it feels sort of anti-climatic. Official should have more benefits than what it does and becoming an official faction should be much more difficult. A lot of people will make a concept, get official within a month or two, and then just archive and repeat with a new concept. I personally believe that if IFM implemented a system where official had more benefits such as official factions getting a small amount of guns/drugs monthly (limit it to 5-10 so it doesn't ruin the market - would be smaller guns such as pistols, no automatics) would create more of an incentive to stay open instead of the usual archive within a month or two of being open. 

Another issue with becoming official, when your group is unofficial and apply for official, often times if denied there is no reason as to why you are denied. It simply states that you have been denied that IFM doesn't want your faction as official. How are groups supposed to improve to IFM's standards if they aren't told why they were denied. 

I believe a good way to fix problems such as these is to make applying for official faction 1+ year of being open and have more benefits for being official other than those that are in place right now. 

34 minutes ago, Legate said:

I won't talk much on the other things but someone mentioned that getting official is anti-climatic and doesn't come with any benefits. I agree. Now I hate to mention communities of the past but reaching official and obtaining the perks that it came with often kept a lot of people in line simply because there was a goal to be achieved. From what I've seen having an "official" faction doesn't actually do much. 

I wholeheartedly disagree with these statements for various amount of reasons.

First and foremost, your OOC "official" status has absolutely NOTHING to do with your IC status, this is a blatantly mixing IC/OOC and this doesn't belong on a hardcore roleplay server such as GTA:World. The only kind of rewards a faction should get, are OOC rewards that do not impact things ICly.

Second, just because you're in a faction or because you've created one doesn't mean that you deserve any kind of special treatment, supplying roleplay to yourself and others around you should be the norm, not something you necessarily should be rewarded for. And especially not in any ways that impacts things ICly as previously mentioned. There are plenty of other players who are not in factions that do many things around the community and they also receive no special treatment or any fancy IC assets they can take advantage of. 

If players continuously make factions that don't last long because they don't get their weekly shot of dopamine they shouldn't of been accepted in the first place. You create a faction for yourself and others because you enjoy doing that first and foremost, not because of any additional rewards that you could possibly earn. And if players do make factions and they don't last long, Faction Management will notice and will not at all be very eager to accept their factions next time, or at least put some serious question marks next to their application. Let alone if these people try the same trick the third time.

If you want to receive firearms on a weekly basis as a reward for your great standing in the community, and flawless portrayal. There is already a system for that, apply to be a supplier when applications are open.

Edited by Martyn
  • Upvote 3
  • Applaud 2

Sometimes the best unofficial factions go under the radar and fail to get official, and in some cases, causes them to shut down.

I don’t wanna jump in to conclusions and say there’s a bias, but what I will say is that it doesn’t look good that a certain genre of gangs get official before most. I feel like it’s harder for black gangs to get official than a crime group, but maybe I’m bugging. Either way, at this point? I only see two black gangs that are official and I’m only basing my thesis on what I can see.

2 hours ago, Martyn said:

If you want to receive firearms on a weekly basis as a reward for your great standing in the community, and flawless portrayal. There is already a system for that, apply to be a supplier when applications are open.

Unironically this is lacking in the legal sector.

If I think I need AK supply for my rp, I can apply that, if I wanna run an own news channel, hospital or political party, this is simply not intended in the game design (And where we can debate elsewhere whether some settings, legal or illegal, should be prohibited, at least for the news sector I'd not go as far as to claim the existing factions couldn't also use competition to improve).

2 hours ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

I've to agree. Very often groups who really should be scrutinized properly end up being made official, without this entire due process of some background checks.

I've also seen some stuff regarding this and while I lack insight in the illegal scene, I have reason to suspect it's actually still better there than in the legal sector (for the aforementioned reasons of me being able to apply for whatever if I think the server needs me to really to that).

Needless to point out, staff would do incredibly well checking their appointees upfront (no matter of which sector or faction theme)- if nothing else, it'd safe them time to deal with people who maybe should not have been catered to first hand.

This counts double for "friends". Obviously, while a buddy-system creates trust, it also creates blind spots.

2 hours ago, Martyn said:

First and foremost, your OOC "official" status has absolutely NOTHING to do with your IC status, this is a blatantly mixing IC/OOC and this doesn't belong on a hardcore roleplay server such as GTA:World.

This also isn't limited to the illegal sector (and in my specific case went as far as to my character regularly being fired for having the audacity to mention ic we're less big shots than we'd like to be, opposed to pretend this was the case when it clearly isn't).

3 hours ago, Martyn said:

First and foremost, your OOC "official" status has absolutely NOTHING to do with your IC status, this is a blatantly mixing IC/OOC and this doesn't belong on a hardcore roleplay server such as GTA:World. The only kind of rewards a faction should get, are OOC rewards that do not impact things ICly.

It does effect both IC and OOC, often times unofficial groups are asked to roleplay weaker (less prominent) to avoid them starting conflicts with larger official factions.

• Wuhtah locked this topic