Faction Syllabus

Chuckles

For weeks and months I've been personally scrutinizing a faction's claim to fame. By claim to fame I mean their rise and what's necessary for a faction to become official. I notice there is a huge double standard amongst factions and their occupation. I have noticed factions with less standard, less members and less activity become official much quicker than factions with better standard, more members and better activity and it's left me wondering, why?

I say this because I speak from experience. My own faction applied for official almost 2 and a half weeks before coming official. We were told after 2 weeks that new members would be officiating our process which confused me, because how are new members supposed to scrutinized a faction that's been active for 6 weeks?

Why is a faction who was only eligible for one day made official, when others are made to wait? I'd like to hear an elaboration on this. I feel this is why we're losing members. There is a clear double standard amongst the illegal community. This is a question to the public, where I would appreciate public engagement and dialogue. Possibly even IFM transparency.

Edited by Chuckles
  • Upvote 7
  • Applaud 4

Hi guys - I hear you, I understand your frustrations. I don't know personally of anything regarding this as I am only a staff member of Property Management/Forum Moderation. 

I am, however, going to lock this thread until an IFM/LFM administrator can pick this up because I do believe it will turn into a toxic storm.

Please understand, I am not locking this to silence you - only to get you a reply faster. I have linked this thread to the IFM staff team personally and they will get an answer to you ASAP. They will provide more insight, as much as they possibly can, on how factions work or at least get you an answer to your thread. 

Please remain patient!

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic

Hey.

Every faction is handled on a case-by-case basis, all of which is documented through the forums and what reviews were done as well as what checks were done. The process is as it's written on the thread which describes how we handle this and that is the process that is followed. This is uniform for every faction that is reviewed, if there is one that feels they didn't receive that same treatment then I strongly urge them to contact the head of Faction Management, Shanks. The regulations I am talking about can be reviewed here: https://forum.gta.world/en/topic/58787-faction-guidelines-and-creation-of-new-factions/

In your first paragraph, you're asking why bigger factions take longer to be reviewed. This is simply due to that fact; they are bigger. There is a bigger membership base that we need to check through individually and flag up any quality concerns or issues within that faction to raise to the leadership before they become 'official'. This is something that has been long demanded by the illegal community, they wanted more vetting which is what has been happening in the last few months. Unfortunately, checks that are higher 'quality' are going to take more time. 

In your second paragraph, you've given an insight into your own experience. Your experience was 15 days long, from submitting the application to getting it approved, which, for the most part it was me going back and forth with you and helping with your factions' requests as well as forwarding on concerns that got raised up. You also use the term "officiating", which I'd like to clarify; the IFM admin who set up your faction did so administratively only. AKA, the paperwork. This included getting your Discord a representative in it, as well as roles set up within the IFM Discord. This is part of the process. I want to express that even though one person set this up for you, it does not mean only that one person was involved in the process of reviewal or anything of the sort. This is the same for every applicant. "New" members didn't "scrutinize" anything, they handled the paperwork side of things to learn how to set it up and I oversaw and taught this personally. This is also done as quickly as we can, especially in the last 2 weeks where we have additional members, we've been able to remove a lot of wait times by changing how we delegate internally within the team. 

That's for the illegal side of things, I can't comment on the legal side of how they process their applications as it may differ from ours.

• Upvote 2
  • Bospy unlocked this topic

One issue that I personally have with the system of unofficial to official is it feels sort of anti-climatic. Official should have more benefits than what it does and becoming an official faction should be much more difficult. A lot of people will make a concept, get official within a month or two, and then just archive and repeat with a new concept. I personally believe that if IFM implemented a system where official had more benefits such as official factions getting a small amount of guns/drugs monthly (limit it to 5-10 so it doesn't ruin the market - would be smaller guns such as pistols, no automatics) would create more of an incentive to stay open instead of the usual archive within a month or two of being open. 

Another issue with becoming official, when your group is unofficial and apply for official, often times if denied there is no reason as to why you are denied. It simply states that you have been denied that IFM doesn't want your faction as official. How are groups supposed to improve to IFM's standards if they aren't told why they were denied. 

I believe a good way to fix problems such as these is to make applying for official faction 1+ year of being open and have more benefits for being official other than those that are in place right now. 

Just now, Bospy said:

Unlocked in the interest of free discussion

Thanks a lot @Bospy

This discussion isn't geared towards creating a chivalry in the server nor is it geared towards any animosity or any personal agenda, I am completely neutral of most things and people in this server. I have noticed many factions with an extremely high standard, consistent member base and relatively active thread. They have somehow been overshadowed by mediocre factions with a relatively lethargic thread, worse concept and slow roleplay. Many of us (as faction leaders) got talking about the arbitrary system and we realized that no matter how good we are or how good our roleplay is, it will be overshadowed with people with connections within the IFM team. Personally I was disappointed in learning my faction was to be scrutinized by people new to the team. 6 weeks of work to be observed by new members 2 days in a team. This is where my head's been since and this thread's been on the back of my mind throughout. 

In your first paragraph, you're asking why bigger factions take longer to be reviewed. This is simply due to that fact; they are bigger. There is a bigger membership base that we need to check through individually and flag up any quality concerns or issues within that faction to raise to the leadership before they become 'official'. This is something that has been long demanded by the illegal community, they wanted more vetting which is what has been happening in the last few months. Unfortunately, checks that are higher 'quality' are going to take more time. 

First and foremost, honey, I respect your dialogue and engagement with the thread but this is not good enough. "Big" factions should not take longer to review because a roster is essentially generated by itself. Its activity is logged by a system. The only thing you would, in essence, have to do, is log each individual member. And I feel this is highly contradictory considering my faction has 10 members at most. It is a small faction. not a big faction, probably even smaller than the most recent faction and still took probably 2 weeks longer. Again, to reiterate, this is nothing personal and I am using my faction as an example. My entire point is that new members of IFM should not be reviewing factions close to 2 months old, as suggested here:

honey. - Discord (gyazo.com)

In your second paragraph, you've given an insight into your own experience. Your experience was 15 days long, from submitting the application to getting it approved, which, for the most part it was me going back and forth with you and helping with your factions' requests as well as forwarding on concerns that got raised up. You also use the term "officiating", which I'd like to clarify; the IFM admin who set up your faction did so administratively only. AKA, the paperwork. This included getting your Discord a representative in it, as well as roles set up within the IFM Discord. This is part of the process. I want to express that even though one person set this up for you, it does not mean only that one person was involved in the process of reviewal or anything of the sort. This is the same for every applicant. "New" members didn't "scrutinize" anything, they handled the paperwork side of things to learn how to set it up and I oversaw and taught this personally. This is also done as quickly as we can, especially in the last 2 weeks where we have additional members, we've been able to remove a lot of wait times by changing how we delegate internally within the team. 

Again, I have no problem against an arbitrary system. My problem is when an arbitrary system becomes tailor-based and contradictory. Factions should be rewarded because of their contribution, their standard, their portrayal -- not because of their contacts. This is not the first case I have seen of a faction becoming official one day after being eligible to reply. Again, this is nothing against the faction in question and again, it is nothing against IFM as a whole but it showcases the favouritism within the team and exclusive nature to certain members of the community. There is a handful of factions I believe suffer as a consequence.

Again, I have no interest in side tracking discussions. I feel everyone should be on an even playing field. I feel that currently it is ridiculous.

• Wuhtah locked this topic