Using /me's less, script more.

TommyX

If you believe some roleplayed actions are unnecessary then I'll have to question the quality of your own roleplay, even the boring act of staring at someone with a detailed /me can show what your character is all about, it shows personality. I'm not really sure why you're complaining about this in the first place if you feel like simple actions like standing up or sitting down are unnecessary then just don't roleplay it, If your character is an indifferent animal then yeah you really don't need to roleplay any mannerism at all.

Even though I encourage the simplification, but I love to see when people go in-depth to describe their actions through /me's. Sometimes I just feel like I can imagine the stories they're trying to tell. We should not limit their creativity on expressing their actions on their character's.

You can convey a lot through body language in an emote. This is also a text RP server based around the idea of writing. Added to the fact that visual bugs happen all the time which don't show animations to people reliably. Actions like emoting sitting down or standing up while people are following a chatbox indicate clearly that you're about to join/about to leave. You can make them as simple or as complex as the scene calls for, but when I see people not emoting basic things in a social setting nine times out of ten they end up shooting up the place and we have an admin sit. Take what you will from that.

Hmm as a prelude, I don't think your question really says anything about the quality of your RP. In fact I've also asked myself a few times, and tried to keep my (many, many ^^' sorry) /mes in /melow because some places are SPAMMED with tons of lines per second. Too many /mes can make it horribly hard to digest, so, it's not a nonsensical question. That said...

1. It's a strange question because longer /mes actually are there because there is, usually, no anim available to replace it. They also often aim to give subtle clues or details that can be pretty important. Whether someone has a wide dumb grin or a sneaky deadly grin is a pretty damn big difference lol. The first one is Monkey D. Luffy, the second one is Chucky the killer doll. That's the kind of detail that isn't small and that I'd like to catch on 😛 

2. Not necessarily, although there are 2 problems here. The first would be a strong lack of nuance, as animations are instantaneous (you type /sit and you instantly /sit) and faces are barely animated. Turns out, the way you move says a lot about how you feel (if you sit slowly while looking around in confusion, you don't know what's happening. If you sit firmly while chuckling, you're probably comfortable). And the way your face looks also says a hell of a lot, most people read a lot from that - if I smile or if I growl at you, clearly you won't have the same attitude. Anims DO NOT show that, and aren't able to. Second problem is, there's like 20 billion anims. Like, for "idle" alone there's about 50 of them... expecting everyone to know every anim by heart is excessively unreasonable, especially since in spite of that (way too large) choice, there are still many common gestures you can't make with anims alone.

3. Probably negatively. Not giving important information about stuff like tone, demeanor, gestures, ... can lead to serious problems. I've had that issue with players who don't use /me : Person 1 assumes person 2, who doesn't /me, is being sarcastic, while person 2 was being dead serious, stuff like that. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic