Using /me's less, script more.

TommyX

I feel like it would for sure effect RP quality. It'd turn it into more of an RPG server than a heavy RP server.

For little stuff like sitting down, I don't think it's entirely necessary, but everything else? It's important to RP in detail.

The only thing here I vaguely agree with is the scripted actions thing, and even that has limitations. If you're the only guy in an 8-block radius and you just want to withdraw some money from your account? I see no problem not RPing it. Beyond that, no. Text-RP thrives on the fact that it's text-based. It's more immersive. You can describe your character's feelings and actions much more precisely than a random animation that may or may not fit perfectly. Especially the reduced /mes in number two. To me, that would be like, in a game of DnD, instead of declaring your attack, or your weapon, you just go straight to rolling damage. It might be technically functional, but you're missing a lot of the steps there that makes it work properly.

If you are going to use an animation completely instead of any /me's, you will be missing some emotions or signs that you normally would see. Someone sitting on the edge of a chair, someone being more laid back or perhaps someone who sits straight up instead of slouched down. Everyone is able to conclude someone's behavior of those actions. This is one of the reasons why I will always use /me's over animations or combine them. I pretty much roleplay anything from getting in a car to putting on my seatbelt or turning off the lights while others might just press the action buttons. I think this all comes down to whatever someone's prefer. 

I think some people are being overly zealous in their rebuttal with what OP mentioned. 

After all, he is not necessarily wrong. /anim sit is as good as "/me takes a seat on the chair." - because you are not really describing anything noteworthy. Same goes with his firearm example.  And while I have no issues with those kind of emotes, they add no flavor to the experience. And those emotes are not what makes a good server, great. 

On the other hand, what @biohazardous00 and @Tseard mentioned are what emotes are really for. Because you never just sit down. You can be sitting awkwardly on a chair, or be sitting straight. You can be clumsy in your movements, or show confidence as you lower your buttocks on to the cushion. You use the emotes to tell a story, and if that story is as plain as "/me sits down", perhaps that story should remain unwritten. 

And if you are just sitting down, and if your goal is not to convey anything with that action - /anim sit is as good of an option as typing /me sits down. 

I'd say it's better to write it out to specify how exactly you've done stuff, as mentioned above, or if you want to highlight something important for the situation so people can notice it in the chat afterwards, but nothing against people rping it all the time, that's kinda why we are here for.

• Wuhtah locked this topic