NPC Mechanic System

Coach

Short description: Allow us to use NPC mechanic shops when no player shops are open, similar to gas stations/LTDs/etc.

Detailed description: I think there should be a few mechanic shops that allow players to NPC car work getting done, so long as no other shops are open with user players. Adopting a system very similar to those used with gas stations/LTDs/ammunations/etc. If a player run mechanic shop is open, you are given a similar notification to go to the player run mechanic shop instead of the NPC one. If no player run mechanic shops are open, you are allowed to open the mod vehicle menu, make all of the changes and modifications you want, and checkout just as you would at a normal mechanic shop. You are charged accordingly. That portion of the system does not change. To avoid PGing and people going in and making extreme changes to their vehicles and just driving off after mere seconds, add into the script a predetermined amount of time for each modification. As an example: Routine Maintenance=3 minutes, Paint Job=10 minutes, New Wheels=7 minutes, etc. etc. etc. Now these numbers are extremely generic I just picked generic ones so that could be standardized a bit more, but the idea behind it being your car disappears and is unable to be used or spawned until the time elapses. So, if you use the numbers I had above, a player who wants to get new wheels and a paint job would make the modifications, pay for it, then their car would disappear and be unavailable to them for 17 minutes. After that time, they can pick their car back up at the shop with all the new modifications ready to go. This would work fairly similarly to the current /impound system, though instead of inputting the amount of hours/days, the script would automatically determine the amount of time the vehicle is unavailable.

Commands to add: N/A

Items to add: N/A

How would your suggestion improve the server? This suggestion improves the server drastically when it comes to vehicle work. Whether it be routine service, a paint job, or performance upgrades. No one wants to wait days (or months if it continues how it is now) to do work on their car. I for one have had my car stolen and scrapped with ease simply because I cannot get the security upgrades put in my car, when, in reality, mechanics would not be hard to come by IRL. OOC issue leading to IC loss. I believe this change will not only relieve the mad rush of players swarming open shops, but allow players to get work done on their vehicles when it is convenient and makes sense for them ICly as opposed to dropping everything they are doing once a shop opens (if a shop opens).

Additional information: The way the mechanic system works now is very broken. We have to wait hours and hours and hours for a mechanic shop to open up (and sometimes it never does), rush to the mechanic shop as fast as we can, and still end up being 10th in line to get any of the work done on our vehicles. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from those who I have talked to and in my observations, open mechanic shops are about as rare as unicorns on this server recently. It's extremely frustrating and the rarity of a shop being open is what leads to the mad rush of so many players swarming the shops when one magically does open.

Update: For those who don't want to read through all the comments, a potential tweak to what I mentioned above to ensure people aren't taking advantage of these NPC garages is to have them only offer specific, basic things (i.e locks, alarms, anti-theft, inspection, general maintenance).

Edited by Coach
Added an update spot for a new idea that arose from feedback from other players.
  • Upvote 1

I'm totally against this idea but I'm open to more opinions about it, I don't want to shut down a suggestion without giving it a fair chance. Server has always tried to move away from "NPC" roleplay and leaves it at a last resort but after noticing this topic and seeing PM has 9 garages on our list that can be leased, I've pushed for those 9 garages to be put more available that way we have more coverage.

Ah well here we are again. I understand that this is a game and allat, but tell me. How many people you know, that drive fully modded cars? That's hella expensive passtime really. Not to mention, that not every service garage has the aptitude to serve their customers this way. So if people just want to mod their cars freely I say no. It doesn't improve the roleplay at all, which is what we do here. Yes I also understand, that there are not many garages opened lately, but guess people just need to stop being greedy and start roleplayling, cause that's the reason they been nerfed. Too much money init.

The real issue here is not people not wanting to roleplay mechanics or something, but OOC greed as everyone just sees money in it.

Yes I mod my cars too, cause I can, but if it required me to leave the car in a garage for few days...I'd say ok. It's roleplay.

Edited by Engelbert
59 minutes ago, QuadTurboW16 said:

Yes, but they should be more expensive so people don't just wait until player owned garages are closed to skip the roleplay time.

Totally fine with that and agree, don't want to have people doing it to avoid RP at all.

57 minutes ago, Frezemis said:

I've pushed for those 9 garages to be put more available that way we have more coverage.

If there can be consistent coverage then yes, I'd rather have actual RP than NPC. But right now it's not consistent at all. And I'm lucky enough that I can be fairly flexible to be on at many different hours of the day to check. Some aren't that lucky and may be stuck playing only in non-peak times. So it needs to be consistent for everyone.

55 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

How many people you know, that drive fully modded cars? That's hella expensive passtime really. Not to mention, that not every service garage has the aptitude to serve their customers this way. 

Yes I mod my cars too, cause I can, but if it required me to leave the car in a garage for few days...I'd say ok. It's roleplay.

I absolutely agree with your point that too many people RP 17 year olds with million dollar moded cars. To be clear, my suggest isn't even for moding as it relates to that. For me, I just want them open so I can get some basic security and alarms. Maybe as a way to nerf it we have NPC garages only offer specific things? Say Locks, Alarms, and general maintenance? Something along those lines? Gets you the basics without giving people the chance to skip over RP or mod out cars ridiculously? Just a thought.

As for the second part of your response, I also agree there which is why I want there to be a "cool down" of sorts. You can't just throw on level 4 locks and drive away two minutes later the way some people refuel their cars. But you must "leave" your car for the modifications to be complete.

Appreciate the feedback and opinions everyone keep them coming.

• Upvote 1