Rage just makes my pc's temperature fly up now?

hamin

3 hours ago, pateuvasiliu said:

If his GPU is at 86c he's not far.

Rtx 2000 gpus start throttling at 83c, he's above that meaning it's overheating hard even while throttling. I have the same issues with my shitty 2060S from Gigabyte. If left to run unchecked at 100% without undervolting it eventually shuts down.

So a solution is needed. In my casenit was undervolting.

The solder melting point they usually use for computer components melts around 180 Celsius so I'm sure he'll be fine. In reality you risk damaging your computer components when you're exceeding 100 degrees for extended periods. Back in the day when I had crossfire R9 290X's they would run at 115c during benchmarks no problem so it depends on loads of things. New Nvidia cards like the 2080ti are smart enough to turn off if they're at risk of damaging themselves though.

3 hours ago, eTaylor said:

You have a different card, so whatever your issues are they’re hardly applicable. According to the manufacturer his temperature readings are normal

The RTX 2000 series have the same temperature limits for the most part. They start to throttle hard at 83C and by the time you're reaching 89C it'll shut down.

there’s no reason to do anything 

There's plenty. He's not getting 100% of what his GPU can do. That's why he should undervolt it, at the very least. 

It's like buying a Lamborghini and never going over 120.

Okay so I ended up reinstalling ragemp and gtav, reinstalled all mods I had (and tried to play the game without the mods and with different ones), the issue still persists, nothing's changed.

So, that leaves me with just this undervolting strat to try... Can someone explain to me what it is? I suck at PC stuff.

37 minutes ago, HaminLord said:

Okay so I ended up reinstalling ragemp and gtav, reinstalled all mods I had (and tried to play the game without the mods and with different ones), the issue still persists, nothing's changed.

So, that leaves me with just this undervolting strat to try... Can someone explain to me what it is? I suck at PC stuff.

Don’t undervolt your card, it’s stupid and leads to hardware instability if you don’t know what you’re doing. Anyone can tweak a few values on a computer and declare themselves a seasoned hardware engineer. In reality your card is operating just fine. If you’re not experiencing shutdowns you don’t have to worry. All these “hardware monitoring” software solutions are about the same as pointless LED strips on a keyboard. Don’t fall for the bait, they’re just making you paranoid into thinking there’s something wrong with your computer so you buy into the tweaker fad.   

Edited by eTaylor
11 hours ago, eTaylor said:

Don’t undervolt your card, it’s stupid and leads to hardware instability if you don’t know what you’re doing. Anyone can tweak a few values on a computer and declare themselves a seasoned hardware engineer. In reality your card is operating just fine. If you’re not experiencing shutdowns you don’t have to worry. All these “hardware monitoring” software solutions are about the same as pointless LED strips on a keyboard. Don’t fall for the bait, they’re just making you paranoid into thinking there’s something wrong with your computer so you buy into the tweaker fad.   

I'd like to think even if it isn't that wild for my card, 87 still isn't healthy for my pc? be it the limit or not?

3 hours ago, HaminLord said:

I'd like to think even if it isn't that wild for my card, 87 still isn't healthy for my pc? be it the limit or not?

It’ll turn off on it’s own if it’s too hot. If the temperature really is such a problem I’d look at your case first. Where is your case located? How is the airflow around and inside your case. Check the function of your fan, does it work? Did you mess up your fan curve? When was the last time to applied new thermal paste? Your card can use upwards to 340 Watts under load, that’s a lot of power going through a lot of transistors generating a lot of heat. If you have significant heat buildup it means that the heat can’t dissipate quickly enough. 

6 hours ago, eTaylor said:

It’ll turn off on it’s own if it’s too hot. If the temperature really is such a problem I’d look at your case first. Where is your case located? How is the airflow around and inside your case. Check the function of your fan, does it work? Did you mess up your fan curve? When was the last time to applied new thermal paste? Your card can use upwards to 340 Watts under load, that’s a lot of power going through a lot of transistors generating a lot of heat. If you have significant heat buildup it means that the heat can’t dissipate quickly enough. 

Afaik all the fans and thermal paste is working as intended, rly clueless, might just be an issue with the card itself, but again, not sure. I'll run it through some computer lab sometime this week and see if they can figure out with its a problem with the actual equipment or if its on something else's end

On 11/14/2021 at 2:20 AM, eTaylor said:

All these “hardware monitoring” software solutions are about the same as pointless LED strips on a keyboard. Don’t fall for the bait, they’re just making you paranoid into thinking there’s something wrong with your computer so you buy into the tweaker fad.   

You are incredibly wrong. His GPU is losing performance because it has to downclock to keep its temps under control. He's got a 2080TI that operates slower than it should. What's the point of paying 1000$ for a GPU that's not working at full efficiency?

And Undervolting/Overclocking your GPU cannot damage your computer. If an OC is unstable, the settings will restore on the next restart. This is an urban myth from the 2000s.

12 hours ago, eTaylor said:

It’ll turn off on it’s own if it’s too hot

Dude you're saying that like it's some minor issue. BSODs are as bad as it gets. His GPU is already nearing its temperature limit, there's no reason not to undervolt and gain a performance boost with a temperature drop for FREE.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
On 11/14/2021 at 1:43 AM, HaminLord said:

This is a decent, easy to follow guide.

5 hours ago, HaminLord said:

Afaik all the fans and thermal paste is working as intended, rly clueless, might just be an issue with the card itself, but again, not sure. I'll run it through some computer lab sometime this week and see if they can figure out with its a problem with the actual equipment or if its on something else's end

What 2080TI model do you have? Can you tell us? Some of them ( the cheaper ones usually ) have poor cooling. It would help us to know which model it is, because they operate at different temps.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, pateuvasiliu said:

You are incredibly wrong. His GPU is losing performance because it has to downclock to keep its temps under control. He's got a 2080TI that operates slower than it should. What's the point of paying 1000$ for a GPU that's not working at full efficiency?

And Undervolting/Overclocking your GPU cannot damage your computer. If an OC is unstable, the settings will restore on the next restart. This is an urban myth from the 2000s.

No, I’m right. I’m always right, your irrelevant opinions are the incoherent ramblings of a computer. You’re not even real. 

2 hours ago, pateuvasiliu said:

Dude you're saying that like it's some minor issue. BSODs are as bad as it gets. His GPU is already nearing its temperature limit, there's no reason not to undervolt and gain a performance boost with a temperature drop for FREE.

BSODs are just a stop error which are (wait for it) not “as bad as it gets”. It’s a bit more nuanced than “haha im epic gamer i change numbers on afterburner”. Trust me, I have a PhD in computer science and engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic