Rage just makes my pc's temperature fly up now?

hamin

Install MSI Afterburner and turn the power limit option down. I personally have mine set to 60%. As well, you can also adjust the fan speed here. This affects your GPU's temperature. Play around with these two options and see what works best.

As for your CPU, open your BIOS menu while booting up your computer (Just spam click DEL while it's booting) and adjust the fan speeds. Obviously, the higher the better, but keep in mind setting them very high may cause a lot of disturbing noise. Also, check if your CPU isn't auto-overclocking. Some CPU's come with this option turned on by default. This is usually safe, but if your temperatures are higher than normal, you should turn it off.

Additionally, you should try cleaning the dust and dirt in your fans. Avoid using vacuums. They can cause a lot of damage. Airflow is important too. If you have poor cable management, you should find a way to tidy the cables up inside your computer. If you can't do this by yourself, look for a technician.

Something to keep in mind is your case fans as well. I don't know which ones you have, but if you have, let's say, a 80mm fan in the front of your case and a 120mm in the back, this can lead to overheating issues because it creates dead air and negative pressure.

Edited by Shaderz
12 hours ago, Shaderz said:

Install MSI Afterburner and turn the power limit option down. I personally have mine set to 60%. As well, you can also adjust the fan speed here. This affects your GPU's temperature. Play around with these two options and see what works best.

I had to reduce the power on my 2080ti to 50% when playing RageMP otherwise any temperature over 70C would make the fans spin really, really loudly.

3 hours ago, Westen said:

I had to reduce the power on my 2080ti to 50% when playing RageMP otherwise any temperature over 70C would make the fans spin really, really loudly.

You can adjust the fans to spin at a certain speed when your GPU reaches a certain temperature. My 3080 rarely reaches over 70C but when it does, the fan speed is set to 80%. Otherwise it's set to 60-70%. They also don't spin if the temps are below 50C because it's just pointless. That helps preserving my GPU and maintaining it in a good state.

• 3 weeks later...

I did everything, played around with the fans, uninstalled and reinstalled and played around with the settings

Shit just doesn't seem to do anything, I get 87 temps now whenever I just tab into gtaw (this doesn't seem to happen on any other ragemp servers), and for people asking, this is happening in interiors, outside interiors, in the login screen and even when I'm just waiting for the game to boot up properly

If any1 knows how to help, pls help because I'm geniuely afraid to boot up my game anymore seeing how it makes my pc's temps just fly

(I have an rtx 2080 ti with two fans on each sides of the actual card so as far as im aware this isn't because of the card itself as it works normally on every other game and doesn't tank up in temps)

7 hours ago, HaminLord said:

I did everything, played around with the fans, uninstalled and reinstalled and played around with the settings

Shit just doesn't seem to do anything, I get 87 temps now whenever I just tab into gtaw (this doesn't seem to happen on any other ragemp servers), and for people asking, this is happening in interiors, outside interiors, in the login screen and even when I'm just waiting for the game to boot up properly

If any1 knows how to help, pls help because I'm geniuely afraid to boot up my game anymore seeing how it makes my pc's temps just fly

(I have an rtx 2080 ti with two fans on each sides of the actual card so as far as im aware this isn't because of the card itself as it works normally on every other game and doesn't tank up in temps)

I had a 2080TI as well in my previous build. I used MSI afterburner to limit power to the card to 50%, this stopped it from going over 70C which would make the fans eat shit.

Y'all suggesting imperfect solutions. A 2080TI set to 50% power isn't doing the work a 2080TI is made for. He didn't spend 1000$ on the TI for it to run at half power.

Why is your GPU overheating? Because it's at 100%. That's... odd. My RTX 2060S for instance is almost never at 100%, so you probably have some options that are costing you too much performance. I would make sure your MSAA is at no more than 4x ( 8x offers barely any improvement and costs a ton ). Other high-price options are Shadows on Very High ( go High ) and Reflection MSAA ( keep it to x2, reflections will look bad anyway ). Tag me and tell me what resolution/FPS you're playing on.

As for the RIGHT NOW, what you want to do, OP, is set up an undervolting curve and a fan curve in MSI Afterburner. You can google those, it's not hard to do at all. 

a88b4615ad97bc4e4615b995518815fe.png

Here's an example of an undervolt. What is undervolting? Well, when Nvidia makes your GPU, they give it way more voltage than it needs. For instance, a base 2060S's curve looks like this

9b680a6932f3a4df2ac8d6f57f923f99.png

If you compare the two you'll see that the default option uses far more energy for less performance. This is because Nvidia gives your GPU more power than needed, to make sure you don't crash. So we lower the voltages until we find a sweet spot where we get better performance for smaller temperature.

I would also make sure to limit the FPS to whatever you're comfortable with ( use Nvidia Control Panel for this ). Being that GTA 5/GTAW isn't CSGO or League where every little twitch reflex matters, you can play just fine at 60 FPS.

GTAW is poorly optimised, this is an undeniable fact. The people who are playing with crazy mods and brag about having great/playable FPS usually have an 1080p monitor hooked up to a crazy GPU like an RTX 3080 and a CPU that costs more than the average PC. Like yeah no shit a GPU made for 2020 4K 60FPS is going to crush a game from 2013 on 1080p. But the fact of the matter is that a PC that's average ( RTX 2060S/Ryzen 5 2600 ) can't max the game on this server and maintain a stable 60.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
  • Upvote 2

Bear in mind Rage itself is just poorly optimized when it comes to how it uses resources. I'm not even going to compare it to singleplayer, but if you run Rage together with something like NVE (which is poorly optimized within itself) then any hardware is most likely going to struggle to keep up. I wouldn't recommend messing with your card too much.

I do Menyoo stuff frequently so I have 2 presets for in game settings I alternate inbetween. The first one is image quality oriented, the other one is gameplay performance. MSAA x4/x2, set Shadows to Softest, don't do FXAA, keep Grass to Normal (grass has a huge performance impact), etc.

There was a mod that fixes resolution scaling and keeps it HD so you could lower that to 0.8x/1 in advanced settings and get 20 FPS meanwhile your game looked the same and I used to use it before but I can't remember where it was as well.

• Wuhtah locked this topic