Rage just makes my pc's temperature fly up now?

hamin

As per the title, ever since last month, whenever I boot up rage, my pc's temperatures just fly up and reach around 85 celsius even when I'm just idling around. The second I tab out/close the game, it drops to 60-50. This doesn't seem to happen with any other game or if I boot up normal gta.

Before people tell me its mods/graphic packs, i alreay tried with different ones and without any, nothing seemed to work. Its gotten to the point I have to tab out every few seconds to make sure my pc doesn't go beyond 86

Pls help before my pc fucking dies

Edited by HaminLord
  • hamin changed the title to Rage just makes my pc's temperature fly up now?

Hey, I played on a laptop for the longest time so working around thermals is something I had to do often.

The first and obvious sign is to replace your thermal paste if its old, check the intake and exhaust flow of your fans, and check they're clear of debris,

My second go-to step which helped me with my laptop pretty drastically was to underclock/undervolt. If the thermals are an issue you can't fix with the first step, then giving less power, or forcing your hardware to work slower will pay dividends for lowering your thermals. Some people use MSI afterburner, but I personally used Throttlestop. This is more CPU oriented, and with undervolting, or disabling your CPU's turbo, you can drastically reduce your temps. If it falls to your GPU, however, I'd look into afterburner. However, being on an ASUS laptop that already had it's own equivalent, i'd never used it. 

Don't let it go unchecked at all. That's how I ended up losing that laptop. There's probably going to be nothing you can do if it's just a rage-only effect, rather nothing I can offer you that you probably haven't already tried. This on top of a few others are the only steps you can really work on.

Even my new tower, that has fresh paste, fans and is well maintained, runs very hot playing RAGE. 

Edited by Sycamour

+1, I can run Squad and everything at great performances but on gta even with everything at lowest settings, etc, my cpu goes nuts. An odd thing I noticed is that I can play for a good amount of time with no issues then suddenly a minute or do later after taking my first ss I get frame issues, overheating and stuff

16 hours ago, Sycamour said:

The first and obvious sign is to replace your thermal paste if its old, check the intake and exhaust flow of your fans, and check they're clear of debris,

My second go-to step which helped me with my laptop pretty drastically was to underclock/undervolt. If the thermals are an issue you can't fix with the first step, then giving less power, or forcing your hardware to work slower will pay dividends for lowering your thermals. Some people use MSI afterburner, but I personally used Throttlestop. This is more CPU oriented, and with undervolting, or disabling your CPU's turbo, you can drastically reduce your temps. If it falls to your GPU, however, I'd look into afterburner. However, being on an ASUS laptop that already had it's own equivalent, i'd never used it. 

the thing is tho.. it never happened before, and running other games, some even more demanding than gtav (or rage) doesn't make it go beyond 80. i checked my fans, paste, w/e, everything is working as intended, it just randomly happens on rage and began doing so last month-ish, no clue why, but im afraid to run the game for long periods of time without tabbing out to let it cool down

Had the same issue when I built my new tower, only six months old. I play with a literal fuck ton of mods, still get 60-100FPS (drops more to 60 when I'm in an interior) but my temps were absolutely nuts on my GPU after like 5-10 minutes of playing. Fucked around with my fan curves in MSI afterburner, anytime my PC goes above 70 my fans will kick into overdrive and drop my temps back down to 50-60 where I'm comfortable. Until Rage is better optimized this is going to be an issue, but if you're okay with having your fans be a bit louder while you play GTA this solution has left me happy with my temps for the last few months.

• Wuhtah locked this topic