Remove Mandatory Jailtime

Mór-Ríoghain

Short description: Remove the mandatory hours you are forced to serve in-game.

Detailed description: It perplexes me that this is even a thing on a roleplay server; where in-character punishment is treated as OOC punishment. Why is jail now more akin to admin jail than a fun, enjoyable RP experience that you can opt in and out of? This mandatory playtime retention system does not motivate me to spend more time in jail, infact it stirs up the opposite within me. I don't want to be forced to spend seven hours in an empty jail block by myself because of some arbitrary OOC ruling. What is the point in even having elongated sentences in the first place? Add to the fact that jail (at least when I'm on) is usually completely dead. I can't speak for what it's like on the male side, but on the female side it is excruciatingly boring and everyone I've talked to that has experienced this system has lamented the fact it exists. Why am I being forced to spend time on the server to fill out a punishment when it's not me, but my character who has done wrong? If I were to play through this mandatory sentence as I usually do it'd be a disaster, let me explain why:

- My character gets a 24 hour sentence.

- I have to roleplay 7 of those hours to be released from jail.

- I roleplay for a maximum of 1-2 hours everyday.

- This amounts to having to have 5-7 days worth of playtime to fit my schedule/desire to play on the server for a sentence that was only supposed to be one day.

Female jail is almost often COMPLETELY empty except for maybe one inmate (which is usually me) and maybe a guard. It is a complete bore, do you really want me to stand around for what amounts to seven hours doing nothing? What exactly does this accomplish? The only thing it makes me want to do is log off and go play a game that's actually fun.

How would your suggestion improve the server?

I don't speak for anyone else but I certainly don't appreciate being coerced to waste my time doing absolutely nothing just so I can enjoy roleplaying on the server that I want to play on. It is an awful system.

Edited by sio
  • Upvote 5
  • Applaud 2

I do not log on to stand in an empty jail so I'm going to have to agree. I understand the point behind of the mandatory time but it doesn't mean a thing when the jail is empty. 9 hours of mandatory nothingness for providing people with roleplay opportunities. This is punishment on a video game for giving people roleplay. Arguments can be made like "don't do the crime and you won't do the time!" and "well rp a smarter criminal"  lol I guess we'll just roleplay smarter unstoppable super criminals so that we don't have to go to mandatory forced 9 hour jail for giving people something enjoyable to do.
unknown.png

Edited by Legate
  • Upvote 1

I’m gonna have to disagree with this suggestion on the basis that mandatory jail time was implemented by Nervous to increase the activity in jail which it has. Reverting the mandatory jail time update because some people can’t enjoy the quality of roleplay that comes with prison RP would be a waste of time.

Even if the activity in jail is slow at times, you can find ways to create roleplay for yourself. Just be creative and you’ll enjoy your time served.

Edited by TyJ
19 minutes ago, TyJ said:

I’m gonna have to disagree with this suggestion on the basis that mandatory jail time was implemented by Nervous to increase the activity in jail which it has. Reverting the mandatory jail time update because some people can’t enjoy the quality of roleplay that comes with prison RP would be a waste of time.

Even if the activity in jail is slow at times, you can find ways to create roleplay for yourself. Just be creative and you’ll enjoy your time served.

"Quality roleplay" bro go roll a female and go stand AFK in prison and you'll see how "quality" is. I'm not going to stand around doing /ame coughs to myself or RPing taking a piss, what do you expect me to do? I can enjoy jail, but not like this. I've been in here before for long stints, this isn't it.

5 minutes ago, moulton said:

Yes.

What a boring pedantic person you are.

16 minutes ago, Memozzy said:

If you cant do the time dont do the crime 🙃

Perfectly we would have 100% in game jail hours ticking down instead of it being an off line counter.

there are not consequencess as is.

You're acting like I committed a crime in real life. Get a grip, my guy. It's a videogame. Also a weapons charge shouldn't amount of having to log into an empty box for seven days in a row.

If there is no proper prison or jail for people to receive their IC punishment then the crime hardly has any point. 
its not OOC punishment.

its an IC punishment that your character got after they broke the law and thats okay. But its still IC

No need to mix these things together.

Edited by Memozzy
1 minute ago, Memozzy said:

If there is no proper prison or jail for people to receive their IC punishment then the crime hardly has any point. 
its not OOC punishment.

its an IC punishment that your character got after they broke the law and thats okay. But its still IC

Yeah, and the punishment is you can't RP outside for a certain amount of time and have to develop yourself in a harsher environment (i.e. jail) there is no IC to having to stand in a box alone and stare at a fictional wall... you know, like admin jail.

Just now, Memozzy said:

its not OOC punishment.

its IC punishment that your character broke the law and thats okay. But its still IC

The "mandatory" jail times are essentially punishing players oocly for creating roleplay through their crimes. I don't know if you rp'd in jail before but it's pretty much unbearable. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic