Newbie tips

Lithium

Hello guys,

I've just submitted my application to join this server and I'm super excited.

I was just wondering if you guys have any tips for me to start off? how did you guys begin? what was your first job? what are the must-visit places?

Looking forward to RP with you all!

Hey there. Welcome to GTAW!

I'd start by familiarising yourself again with the rules and taking a look at the basic commands guide I'll link below: 

If you want find good players to roleplay with, take a look at the Faction page. You can either be part of a legal faction (police, fire department, medical, etc) or illegal (gangs, mobs, etc.) Alternatively, you can choose to roleplay a character that doesn't belong to a faction.

The most important tip I can offer is to develop a proper detail background story for your character. It also helps to have a rough idea of what you want your character to achieve on this serve; basically set some small goals for your character. Other than all of this, you'll learn and have fun with experience in the game. 

I wish you well!

Edited by SweetDaffodil

I’d definitely recommend joining a faction at first to help introduce you to other players both IC and OOC who can show you the ropes to the server. Many illegal factions are welcoming to new players, and I assume a lot of legal ones are too. Most LEO/government factions require a minimum amount of hours on the server. When you’re just starting off, I’d recommend staying mostly away from grinding script jobs like fishing and trucking and just focus on roleplaying. 

Welcome and good luck!

The server can be a bit hard to navigate when you first land and it can be hard to find a focus when everything is presented to you at once. I'd recommend that as others have said you explore factions if you want a more directed, thematic approach. Decide if you have an interest in crime or not and branch from there.

Finding a job is great way to get social connections at the start, by working at player businesses and engaging with the public as you slowly think out your character concept. Being a bartender can be nameless enough for you to improvise while chatting to customers, for example.

Other than that, just explore!

Thank you guys so much, I appreciate your responses.

I guess I'll stay away from script jobs and focus more on roleplay - I'm not trying to acquire assets, I just want to have fun.

I'll start off as a civvie and work my way up as I get myself familiarized with the commands and all.

See you guys, and thank you again!

3 hours ago, Lithium said:

Thank you guys so much, I appreciate your responses.

I guess I'll stay away from script jobs and focus more on roleplay - I'm not trying to acquire assets, I just want to have fun.

I'll start off as a civvie and work my way up as I get myself familiarized with the commands and all.

See you guys, and thank you again!

If you have interest in civilian life around the neighborhood, there's civilian communities around several neighborhoods, particularly in Sandy Shores out in the County, as well as lately Grapeseed apparently, and in the city you have areas like Little Seoul (called Koreatown by locals) and around Textile City (called Chinatown by locals) as well as other smaller areas with pockets of civilian population RPing out in the streets, namely Vespucci (with a much higher gang presence there). There's also the ULSA faction, oriented around Campus life around University (where you can opt to be a student or a member of the Faculty), as well as supporting desk/office jobs in legal factions, from being a doctor or nurse at PHMC to being a janitor for the police (I'm not sure if they still have these roles going on, but they used to).

Another option is to live in whichever neighborhood would make sense for your character, and try to get involved with a player initiative regardless of where you live. RPing around a business or a project is a great way to get in a small core group of RPers that play around things that are interesting to you.

Script jobs can be an easy way to get involved as you figure things out, but you can easily just make your way around as a normal civilian and see where life takes you.

My newbie tip is to be careful with doors.  If you pressed Y to enter a building, press Y to leave it again, DON'T just walk through the door to leave because you'll be in an empty dimension by yourself.  Source: me as a newbie not in dimension 0 wondering why literally nobody was around for hours.

It's mad to think that nearly 8 months ago, I walked I to a bar to order a drink with the torso texture set popping out of my sleeves, got myself flustered because I was messing up my /pay command, and then my inv was full so I had to drop all the fish I got earlier in the day right on the dancefloor XD 

Most people here have the right idea factions. I was part of an unofficial civilian group living in a national trailer park and for a good while, everyday of my RP was spent with them. So they'd take my character to new dives, locations I'd forgotten about from the vanilla GTAV map, other players and ofcourse, being kind enough to /b or /pm me advice on commands or just how to be. 

One thing I will say; property. Figure out what you want to do in terms of a property first. Are you typically bothered about having your own place straight away, or would you just want to rent a motel room for now. This was my biggest puzzler to start out because I had no idea about the MAP page on the UCP main site. Familiarise yourself with that MAP because it shows you the location of every rentable form of motel room from LS to Paleto (acts as a spawn point for when your character "wakes" up and will help as a temporary residence for the location you desire to RP the most. And ofcourse there is a separate page for houses you can buy, while a little more limited to some city limits it's the easiest way to grab a smart property. Otherwise, hit the property page here on the forums after you've collected some IC cash. 

If you're in a scenario where someone is rushing you in b/ (or out of character chat), don't be afraid to ask for some advice from players around you. Say you're being robbed, there's a difference between someone playing a good role as a robber for their character development, and then someone who is just chain robbing and griefing for a play to win mentality. RP isn't about winning, the good scenarios are the true win. 

And welcome btw XD

• Wuhtah locked this topic