Rule 6 - Removing under 16s

Coburn

I heard this somewhere.

"We cannot force players to roleplay non-existent entities restricting their fundamentally rule-abiding activities. This is immersion breaking. Imagine if we didn't have our canine script in place - would we force players to roleplay a canine chasing them down if a cop typed it in /do? Unrealistic chain robbers can be punished."

Now given there are literally no other underaged characters it is safe for LEOs and everyone else to assume, that every underaged character belongs to a gang right? So the whole "I am a teen" excuse is kinda obsolete here. From a technical standpoint this is a fantasy server with near future setting of Cyberpunk Mean streets which just lacks the cyberpunk feel. People argue, that some people play indoors, rather than parading on the streets. Yes cause it was ruled that we cannot roleplays streets being populated. So the streets are empty which means no one with least a shred of sanity dares to step in the neon-noir city filled with all kinds of criminals just waiting in the shadows for an unsuspecting prey. Yet people roleplay non-existent activities like driving a teen suffering from GSW into an npc manned hospital where no doctor calls cops, yet it is their duty when treating a gunshot wound or a stab wound of any kind.

Edited by Engelbert
1 hour ago, CaffeineHigh said:

Full Support.

The lowest age should be 16. And to those that keep saying "but underage characters are important to gangs!", what the fuck is wrong with you? No, they're not. Underage characters do nothing but make gangs look bad in my eyes. I feel like the quality of Gang RP over the years across servers who allowed underage characters has really diminished.

Like I said in the other thread, if I get caught up by a 14 year old again and get threatened just because they rear-ended me, I will lose my shit. If it's a 16 year old, fine, but they should be more careful in their actions until they are 18, because committing crime as a 16 year old even is still a risky thing to do.

Average person is put on to a set by the time that they are sixteen. So, now, you want everyone to rush R.P. and become gang-members within the first two weeks or so of joining the faction? Or, would you prefer for some more development to occur before becoming a legitimate gang-member? In the real world, being "put on" by the time that you're 18 is embarrassing and frowned upon. THUS, this is why younger characters are needed in order to ensure that characters properly develop before joining a set. THIS is why they are needed, and THIS is why the suggestion will destroy gang R.P. 

EDIT: Average dedicated gang-member doesn't last passed the age of 20. This DOES destroy Gang RP. 

Just report the players that portray their characters, poorly. They are more than likely only a small minority of the bigger picture.

Edited by DLimit
23 minutes ago, DLimit said:

This would destroy Gang RP. Just report the players that don't portray their characters, properly, rather than ruining it for those that make an attempt to develop their character from the bottom up. Most gang factions age up their characters by one year, every month. 

This has been suggested 100 times in the past, and rejected. 

With the kind of extreme violence that gang roleplay on this server filters around, 16+ is FINE. I don't really like the idea of having no CPS, no infrastructure for these literal children, NPC parents sure but... you can't force people to roleplay that without an admin. I barely trust people to play adults on this server, let alone literal children.

Your gang can survive with sixteen year olds.

I don't know what thought process leads y'all to thinking people who are currently unpleasant to interact with will somehow stop being so if you make their characters older. The problem is poor portrayal; Shitty RPers. Banning underage characters because some people do them poorly isn't just unfair to the people who portray them well, it's also a completely ineffective way to treat the problem because you're attacking a symptom instead of the disease. It's like trying to treat somebody suffering from withdrawal by giving them aspirin for their headaches.

• Upvote 1

Yes, we do not have any form of active Child Protective Services. The moment these kids land in custody or in the hospital they're a legal liability to everyone around them because we wouldn't be allowed to just release them freely. Unless you have an actual parent or parents, portrayed by a player, you shouldn't be allowed to roleplay under 18 imho. 

Edited by TheSenate

I think banning under 16 characters is a good compromise, because there's definitely a problem. It's bizarre to see countless kids who don't care about school... because there physically is no school for them to go to. There's no government intervention into horrible situations, because... there's no child protective agency or social workers, parents, teachers, or basically anyone who would be in the process. Even when well RPed, there's a reason why kids are invincible in games that have them. Kids dying is an extremely sensitive topic that nobody should be forced into without knowing, because the 12 year old they killed looked like a fully grown man. Most people are also viscerally uncomfortable with the prospect of actual children making full sexual advances, even if it never hits the point of rule breaking RP.

Sixteen is plenty of time to still fully roleplay being teenagers, and is also around when most kids gain independence with learning to drive and a social expectation to start thinking about work. 16 isn't even a Senior in high school yet, it's still very young. Even as 'late' as 16, there's still a vast array of personalities, from immature childishness to attempted adults, so portraying a teenager to its extent is still fully on the table. I really struggle to think of what RPing a 12 year old would offer over a 16 year old. Cluelessness about the world, immaturity, vulnerability, these are all still around. Yes, gangs recruit much younger than that IRL, but it's not real life and some things need to be tweaked to fit. At-risk 16 year olds are still fully susceptible to being swept into a gang, and you can always talk with your faction leader after getting situation in your rank to add a backstory of having been a much lower level member for a few years if you want to have been a member since you were a child. 

35 minutes ago, Snoof said:

I don't know what thought process leads y'all to thinking people who are currently unpleasant to interact with will somehow stop being so if you make their characters older. The problem is poor portrayal; Shitty RPers. Banning underage characters because some people do them poorly isn't just unfair to the people who portray them well, it's also a completely ineffective way to treat the problem because you're attacking a symptom instead of the disease. It's like trying to treat somebody suffering from withdrawal by giving them aspirin for their headaches.

Yeah except these shitty RPers have the added issue of the fact that they're playing children, who have a different legal code, not to mention emergency services can go to jail if these minors are unattended. So often times they're fucked if they have to interact with these characters at all.

Shitty RPers are one thing, all children characters on this server are problematic. It isn't a roleplay quality issue, it's an issue of logistics.

• Coburn changed the title to Rule 6 - Removing under 16s