Rule 6 - Removing under 16s

Coburn

Just an honest question, how would people feel about setting a minimum age for committing violent or egregious crime? 16+ seems to be a a middle ground most people can agree on, but I'm against removing the opportunity to play these younger characters all together. As much as people want to laugh it off, 13 is the age where kids start going into the gang life. Should they be out committing mass murder and running criminal empires? Absolutely not. But we can find logical ways to curb that without removing the option all together.

From what I see, peoples frustrations are 50% about the crime and 50% about just being annoyed they exist. Don't get me wrong, I get it. 13 year olds are annoying little shitheads IRL I don't like dealing with them either. But they exist regardless, being annoyed that they bother you character (Again, not talking about the high crime) is just not a valid reason to change the rules. 

Edited by Trupiano

You don't NEED child characters for gang RP. Worst case? Make ANY character under 16 application based ONLY. People don't know how to RP child characters properly, they really shouldn't be allowed. Sick of having people RPing below 18 coming up to my character with disgusting sexual talk. Like, it's just wrong.

Edited by PeopleKind
  • Upvote 1

The lowest age of consent is 16 in the United States. I'd say that's a good middle ground to start, minus the portrayal issues and what not. Personally I don't think we should be role playing any younger especially since NPC'ing parents is frowned upon and child protective services doesn't exist. It can be difficult to navigate how to appropriately respond to someone that young when the regulations around it are so vague or don't exist.

Edited by 99

No. There's a reason why Grand Theft Auto didn't make school buses, there's a reason why they didn't make underage characters.

It's a game for 18+. Therefore, it should be 18+ here as well for characters.

6 minutes ago, 99 said:

The lowest age of consent is 16 in the United States. I'd say that's a good middle ground to start, minus the portrayal issues and what not. Personally I don't think we should be role playing any younger especially since NPC'ing parents is frowned upon and child protective services doesn't exist. It can be difficult to navigate how to appropriately respond to someone that young when the regulations around it are so vague or don't exist.

28 minutes ago, Trupiano said:

Just an honest question, how would people feel about setting a minimum age for committing violent or egregious crime? 16+ seems to be a a middle ground most people can agree on, but I'm against removing the opportunity to play these younger characters all together. As much as people want to laugh it off, 13 is the age where kids start going into the gang life. Should they be out committing mass murder and running criminal empires? Absolutely not. But we can find logical ways to curb that without removing the option all together.

From what I see, peoples frustrations are 50% about the crime and 50% about just being annoyed they exist. Don't get me wrong, I get it. 13 year olds are annoying little shitheads IRL I don't like dealing with them either. But they exist regardless, being annoyed that they bother you character (Again, not talking about the high crime) is just not a valid reason to change the rules. 

I would agree entirely. The 13 year old Congolese warlords are getting tiring. All they're doing is trying to play both sides where they can commit whichever felonies they want and then play the "but I'm just a kid" card when they get caught. It's cringe.

• Upvote 1

Full Support.

The lowest age should be 16. And to those that keep saying "but underage characters are important to gangs!", what the fuck is wrong with you? No, they're not. Underage characters do nothing but make gangs look bad in my eyes. I feel like the quality of Gang RP over the years across servers who allowed underage characters has really diminished.

Like I said in the other thread, if I get caught up by a 14 year old again and get threatened just because they rear-ended me, I will lose my shit. If it's a 16 year old, fine, but they should be more careful in their actions until they are 18, because committing crime as a 16 year old even is still a risky thing to do.

As with everyone else in this thread, I agree, however I think 16 year olds should be locked behind some kind of application be it through IFM or RPQM, it's getting annoying to see people roleplaying as children get mad when they get treated like adults while they act like adults and result with a "/me is 16 and just got tazed." is just bad portrayal and roleplay.

• Coburn changed the title to Rule 6 - Removing under 16s