Rule 6 - Removing under 16s

Coburn

Lots of things happen in real life that aren't allowed on GTAW. Some forms of flirting might not really bother me, but I would rather not RP being outright sexually harassed by a 13 year old.

The fact that the first time I tried to buy drugs on the server, from a 14 year old, ended up in a mugging and a request for rape perms might color my opinion there.

20 minutes ago, peasoup said:

Lots of things happen in real life that aren't allowed on GTAW. Some forms of flirting might not really bother me, but I would rather not RP being outright sexually harassed by a 13 year old.

The fact that the first time I tried to buy drugs on the server, from a 14 year old, ended up in a mugging and a request for rape perms might color my opinion there.

The issue is that situations like that are close to commonplace, which is also what led to this thread.

13 minutes ago, Murat said:

MS13 = / = Any black gang 

I don't necessarily think it's the age of the characters themselves that people are upset with. It's the /attributes and actions that the characters are taking is what they're talking about. If you had a character who worked their way into a gang from a young age without having multiple counts of felony murder while being 15 I don't think it'd be a big deal. The thing that bothers people in my mind is the 6'2" 210 pounds of prison built muscle 13 year olds. If people had underage characters that weren't doing ridiculous stuff like that it doesn't really seem like a problem. (I'm not saying they all do this but as usual a loud few outshine the quiet majority).

Edited by Sush

Your only argument for banning under 18's is due to paedophilia? If that's the case then it's an issue with the person controlling the character and not the characters age itself. Are you going to try and ban firearms from public use because people use it to deathmatch? Are you going to ban vehicles because they can be used to powergame? There's a solution for this and banning EVERYBODY from roleplaying as teens isn't the answer, you're just going to ruin alot of people's roleplay. It seems like you've had one bad experience with a teen ICly and now have a vendetta against them, you clearly have no idea how much this will affect gang roleplay.

44 minutes ago, Sush said:

I don't necessarily think it's the age of the characters themselves that people are upset with. It's the /attributes and actions that the characters are taking is what they're talking about. If you had a character who worked their way into a gang from a young age without having multiple counts of felony murder while being 15 I don't think it'd be a big deal. The thing that bothers people in my mind is the 6'2" 210 pounds of prison built muscle 13 year olds. If people had underage characters that weren't doing ridiculous stuff like that it doesn't really seem like a problem. (I'm not saying they all do this but as usual a loud few outshine the quiet majority).

The behavior is very much the issue. GTAW doesn't offer any visual indicators of a character being a child, so it's entirely possible for someone to unknowingly go all the way until it's in a forum report, leading to a number of permanent bans being issued. It shouldn't even be possible to get that far even by accident. The act of engaging in any sexually suggestive behavior should be treated as a legitimate attempt.

There's more to being a kid than trying to initiate sexual encounters.

6 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

The behavior is very much the issue. GTAW doesn't offer any visual indicators of a character being a child, so it's entirely possible for someone to unknowingly go all the way until it's in a forum report, leading to a number of permanent bans being issued. It shouldn't even be possible to get that far even by accident. The act of engaging in any sexually suggestive behavior should be treated as a legitimate attempt.

There's more to being a kid than trying to initiate sexual encounters.

I've never in my life accidentally ERP'd with a child character.  I cannot fathom any world where someone needs to be concerned with accidentally ERPing with a child character, like your character is going to trip and fall on them?

Just now, Phased said:

I've never in my life accidentally ERP'd with a child character.  I cannot fathom any world where someone needs to be concerned with accidentally ERPing with a child character, like your character is going to trip and fall on them?

They're certainly trying. It helps that they're trying to pick up the character of someone that strictly avoids ERP, but the amount of children that have attempted and become uncomfortably explicit in describing what they want to do is... disturbing.

3 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

They're certainly trying. It helps that they're trying to pick up the character of someone that strictly avoids ERP, but the amount of children that have attempted and become uncomfortably explicit in describing what they want to do is... disturbing.

Then there's not really a concern of accidentally doing that.   What you're describing is very different, and is already against the server rules. If an underaged character comes at you trying to do this, you can report them.   Blanket banning a large group of roleplayers from developing their characters in a realistic fashion because of a couple shitlords is the most counter-productive thing you could ask for in this situation.  

• Coburn changed the title to Rule 6 - Removing under 16s