Rule 6 - Removing under 16s

Coburn

17 minutes ago, Coburn said:

Problem is that in GTA:W they are 6ft 200 lbs 13 year olds with AKs and sawn off shotguns.

In the U.S., kids do possess these type of weapons, though, especially in Compton. They aren't hard to obtain. 

The height and weight situation is an issue, though. They should develop their height and weight, overtime. 

The issue isn't possession of these firearms. It's the escalation, which exists regardless of age.

6 minutes ago, KinnyWynny said:

Yeah except these shitty RPers have the added issue of the fact that they're playing children, who have a different legal code, not to mention emergency services can go to jail if these minors are unattended. So often times they're fucked if they have to interact with these characters at all.

Shitty RPers are one thing, all children characters on this server are problematic. It isn't a roleplay quality issue, it's an issue of logistics.

I really don't see how it's any more pressing of a logistical issue than any others we have on the server. People aren't actually getting thrown in jail for that here because it's understood that here it's the rule rather than the exception that the parents are not coming to collect their child because they don't exist. It's also not normal for people to be sentenced and locked up an hour after they committed the crime, but that happens too because much like the teen RPers don't have the resources to provide the emergency responders with all the things that would make their work more immersive, the responders can't reasonably be expected to be able to provide a completely realistic experience of getting caught and locked up to the criminals.

This isn't even a problem that can't be easily fixed WITHOUT further restricting what people can RP; The rules on NPC's could easily be relaxed to allow people to RP their parents coming if that's what you wanted. I mean, who does that hurt? I get not wanting to let people have active NPC's interfering in every day RP because the culture of the server is to treat RP like it's a competition and pretty soon you'd have people summoning their 6'10 dad from thin air to chokeslam their enemies every time there's a fight, but under circumstances like this arrest one that we're all dwelling on super hard for some reason even though it's only like 1% of the RP these characters engage in and other ones where it makes sense for them to be around, like if you enter somebody's family home, then I really don't see any negatives to letting people use them.

As for CPS, you could easily just go the LS-RP route of having a CPS center somewhere on the map where these children of constantly incapacitated junkies can end up. You don't NEED to (and probably never will) have a ton of people working there for it to serve its purpose, nor does it have to be some big hyper-professional operation with its own forums full of tons of lists and 5 paragraph reports of every time somebody goes to the bathroom, you can just kind of have it exist and let people make of it what they will like the homeless shelter.

I can sympathize a little more with the emotional arguments like 'I don't like seeing child characters get hurt' and 'Getting cat-called by underage characters is uncomfortable' because y'all are coming from a good place and... yeah, not really gonna argue with the second one; A rule against that might be a good idea, especially since the character doing the cat-calling is trying to incite a reaction that the 'target' can't give them without breaking the pedo rule.

As for the first one, yeah, it can be unpleasant - it SHOULD be unpleasant, really - but it's one of those situations where you have to stop and ask yourself how much you really want the server to protect you from unpleasant things. Police brutality is unpleasant and a point of trauma for some people, and yet we're not gonna OOCly ban it from the server because the RP it can create is just as interesting as the act is unpleasant. Same with gang beatings, shootings, stabbings, casual racism, misogyny, etc. etc. etc. Without all these things that objectively suck, the server would suck. My standard is if it's something you can show (not imply, SHOW) on T.V or in a game, which violence involving teenagers definitely is, it should be ok on the server too.

• Upvote 1

Oh and I get the visual argument too, but that's just kind of fucked for everyone. If we had to restrict our characters to be what they can be within the rules of GTA 5's character creation, we'd all be stuck playing 30+ year old junkies of uniform height with terrible skin. Game's just kind of ugly in places and we have to deal with that.

17 minutes ago, Coburn said:

Age up and strike a deal with your gang leader that you joined the gang when you were 12, problem solved.

Not that simple.

You're supposed to actually develop into joining a gang instead of just starting off as an 18 year old put on member. That's the point of under aged characters.

4 minutes ago, voucher said:

Not that simple.

You're supposed to actually develop into joining a gang instead of just starting off as an 18 year old put on member. That's the point of under aged characters.

Exactly, that'd be identical to having a new member automatically become a member of the Mafia. Doesn't work that way. In fact, 1/2 of the fun involves developing the character to join the set.

I don't fully agree with this. I do however think that there should be less "You shot a teenager" in RP. Don't act like a thug then cry when it doesn't go your way. It's an excuse used WAY too often.

Edited by Gore
  • Coburn changed the title to Rule 6 - Removing under 16s