Short description: Change helicopter handling, remove the aggressive snapback effect, make them way smoother and pleasant to control, less arcade-ish. 

Detailed description: There is a mod that changes the handling for the "main" helicopters, removing the aggressive snapback whenever you dive your helicopter's tip for only a degree or so, making it next to impossible to have a smooth flight experience in a helicopter. Furthermore, it removes the arcade turbulences that do not provide any realism but rather only pain. Finally, it adjusts the helicopters' speeds to a more realistic one aswell, without making them unplayable.

Commands to add: None.

Items to add:  https://fr.gta5-mods.com/vehicles/helicopter-handling-777 (Check EDIT)

How would your suggestion improve the server? Now, I'm not some flight-simulator extremist thinking we should have a whole MFS2020 in GTA:W to make flying impossible, I only think this addition would improve any flight experience in a great way, at the moment while flying a helicopter is shit-easy, this mods makes it only a little bit harder, but way more pleasant to use as it's not like you're fighting against your own helicopter to even fly it forward.

Additional information: 

EDIT: Some players pointed out that while making flying more realistic, this mod actually made it less playable for LEO players that need to fly aggressively at certain speeds, e.g. during chases. I found another mod that only gets rid of the pitch stabilization, or that tones it down depending on the version you use. A mild pitch stabilization can be way better than the current, which is an aggressive, horrible snapback whenever you tilt your nose forward even slightly. This mod could be a great alternative to the first one mentioned above, addressing the snapback concern without changing neither the sensitivity nor thespeed, still allowing for aggressive flying as addressed below. Link to that second mod is added underneath.

https://fr.gta5-mods.com/vehicles/better-helicopter-handling 

Edited by HappyPancake
  • Upvote 1

While it may provide a more immersive controls to the civillian branch this would give the LEO side a blow and make them less and less usable.

Why? Because LEO helicopters have to fly at an altitude that is not too far from the ground due to the streaming possibilities and this most of the time requires them to fly aggressively to avoid clashing with any major buildings in pursuits or generally conduct very agressive turns to keep the suspect in visual as you have to be right above them and mirror their aggressive turns in order to keep up and ensure they don't get the distance far enough to stop desyncing with the stream distance and eventually ditch you. I'm not even mentioning people evading cops with cars that does 130mph and a Maverick's max speed is 160. Giving them a speed nerf under the name of 'realism' while not policing the Elegy ricers outrunning a helicopter over a speeding ticket is just punishing the aviation for no reason at all.

I can only see this being implemented when the stream distance somehow becomes great and LEO helicopters are able to patrol at 1000ft without issues. Right now it's 600-800 ft max and there are building much higher than that in the city.

Overall, is this immersive? Yes. But can it be adjusted to the in-game conditions? No. LEO helicopters make a great portion of the activity because while civillian branch of the aviation roleplayers usually conclude their roleplay in air after a session, LEO helicopters especially on the LSPD side are up approximately three to six hours a day everyday with different pilots being in rotation and this would give them a blow and contribute to make aviation more unpopular rather than popular on this side.

Edited by Fabulous
23 minutes ago, Fabulous said:

While it may provide a more immersive controls to the civillian branch this would give the LEO side a blow and make them less and less usable.

Why? Because LEO helicopters have to fly at an altitude that is not too far from the ground due to the streaming possibilities and this most of the time requires them to fly aggressively to avoid clashing with any major buildings in pursuits or generally conduct very agressive turns to keep the suspect in visual as you have to be right above them and mirror their aggressive turns in order to keep up and ensure they don't get the distance far enough to stop desyncing with the stream distance and eventually ditch you. I'm not even mentioning people evading cops with cars that does 130mph and a Maverick's max speed is 160. Giving them a speed nerf under the name of 'realism' while not policing the Elegy ricers outrunning a helicopter over a speeding ticket is just punishing the aviation for no reason at all.

I can only see this being implemented when the stream distance somehow becomes great and LEO helicopters are able to patrol at 1000ft without issues. Right now it's 600-800 ft max and there are building much higher than that in the city.

Overall, is this immersive? Yes. But can it be adjusted to the in-game conditions? No. LEO helicopters make a great portion of the activity because while civillian branch of the aviation roleplayers usually conclude their roleplay in air after a session, LEO helicopters especially on the LSPD side are up approximately three to six hours a day everyday with different pilots being in rotation and this would give them a blow and contribute to make aviation more unpopular rather than popular on this side.

This suggestion was thought with legal agencies aswell in mind (PD, SD, FD, PR) which can benefit a lot on this, e.g. when orbiting around a scene. Furthermore, in pursuits, flying can be easier especially because of the decreased sensitivity, allowing you to make smoother moves and evade obstacles more easily than currently, where you have to juggle with keys and hope for the best. I've seen multiple instances of car being in my view distance at 1000 feet while flying FD helicopters. 

I really don't get your point as my suggestion is literally made for a smoother flying that will allow a better handling all the time, including during pursuits. Less sensitivity doesn't mean slower movement with a chopper, it means better handling and smoother controls, more predictable reaction from the chopper. 

The speed nerf is not even to a superficial level, I did not notice it at all in the video, I don't think there even is one, it's only mentioned.  While I understand your concerns and opinion, I think you clearly looked at it the wrong way. 

Finally, sure ricers can drive irrealistically. But whether or not we change helicopters, this still will happen. Should we punish players with no possibility to have a smoother, more ralistic and more enjoyable experience in an aircraft just because LEO factions have an unrelated problem they thought should be treated that way (When, matter of fact, the mod would not change anything LEO-wise)?

2 minutes ago, HappyPancake said:

This suggestion was thought with legal agencies aswell in mind (PD, SD, FD, PR) which can benefit a lot on this, e.g. when orbiting around a scene. Furthermore, in pursuits, flying can be easier especially because of the decreased sensitivity, allowing you to make smoother moves and evade obstacles more easily than currently, where you have to juggle with keys and hope for the best. I've seen multiple instances of car being in my view distance at 1000 feet while flying FD helicopters. 

I really don't get your point as my suggestion is literally made for a smoother flying that will allow a better handling all the time, including during pursuits. Less sensitivity doesn't mean slower movement with a chopper, it means better handling and smoother controls, more predictable reaction from the chopper. 

The speed nerf is not even to a superficial level, I did not notice it at all in the video, I don't think there even is one, it's only mentioned.  While I understand your concerns and opinion, I think you clearly looked at it the wrong way. 

Finally, sure ricers can drive irrealistically. But whether or not we change helicopters, this still will happen. Should we punish players with no possibility to have a smoother, more ralistic and more enjoyable experience in an aircraft just because LEO factions have an unrelated problem they thought should be treated that way (When, matter of fact, the mod would not change anything LEO-wise)?

No, smooth flying is only useful for static scenes. The suggestion is to increase the immersion by making helicopters fly slower and smoother however you are missing the point thaat LEO helicopters have to fly fast and aggressive otherwise their functionality during law enforcement is decreased and aviation side of LEO roleplay is already underrated itself. This is not a necessary suggestion, nor helpful but it is one that we can have for immersion purposes which is fair. However, when this is nerfing the functionality of the existing system for the benefit of *realism* it becomes a minus than plus.

I have tried this mod before and I am also very into the aviation law enforcement in GTAW, judging by the experience on both sides, I can confirm that ''This suggestion was thought with legal agencies aswell in mind'' statement is unfortunately false.

I am very happy to demonstrate this to you if you would like to get in touch on private messages though to make sure it doesn't look like I'm coming off as someone randomly against your suggestion but rather speaking over experience through in game conditions.

8 minutes ago, HappyPancake said:

I've seen multiple instances of car being in my view distance at 1000 feet while flying FD helicopters. 

Flying and looking down for a second and seeing a car is different than pursuing vehicles and people on the ground. While that’s less of the issue here, just want to make sure people no that Fabulous is honestly exaggerating with 600-800 feet. In my experience, 600-800 I’m going to get desync and render issues.

To the main point of the suggestion, I agree that it’d be nice to have more realistic flying, but it’s not practical as the server stands now. Orbiting on a scene is like 5% of what we do and it’s the least important, so that part of the change doesn’t really affect us.

• Wuhtah locked this topic