Fishing and Del Perro Pier

Alyssa McCarthy

With the creation of the new fishing script, players are forbidden from fishing in Los Santos. (which for a large portion of the city, makes sense).

Piers are an obvious example where many people RL go to fish. 

When it comes to Del Perro (and other), piers, this is therefore a completely unrealistic rule that makes no IC sense.

Thoughts?

References:
Santa-Monica-Pier-Fishing-photo-by-AT-fi

1-fishing-1100x733.jpg

11 minutes ago, thekillergreece said:

Water is polluted for fishing.

You're just making that up as it's not stated in the rule.

The question is why is there an OOC prevention from fishing on Del Perro pier when it makes no sense for such a restriction to exist?

i.e, is it just an oversight or is there a specific reason & if so, what?

Edited by Alyssa McCarthy
59 minutes ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

i.e, is it just an oversight or is there a specific reason & if so, what?

Specific reason, I don't remember which. I think it has to do with balance. County's barely got anything to RP with when City's filled with RP opportunities. 

If you implement fishing spots in LS, nobody will go county and that ruins the County life yet again.

Besides, if you want to fish in LS pier, you could just RP it.

46 minutes ago, thekillergreece said:

Specific reason, I don't remember which. I think it has to do with balance. County's barely got anything to RP with when City's filled with RP opportunities. 

If you implement fishing spots in LS, nobody will go county and that ruins the County life yet again.

Create the need to move to another fishing spot if one is overly populated. This is an issue that fishers come across daily. If a fishing spot has too many people on it trying to catch the same fish, they usually try to find another less populated one to increase their odds of catching fish. I, as someone who does go fishing occasionally as a hobby, have had to do this before.

So, perhaps change the way the script works, so the more people are gathered (and fishing via the script, not just loitering around) in a single fishing spot, the odds of them catching fish decrease.

I don't know how exactly the script works in terms of timing, but for the sake of this suggestion, let's assume there's by default a 100% chance of catching fish within 5 minutes. With the changes I'm proposing, it would look something like this:

• If 1 person is fishing on a fishing spot, there's a 100% chance to catch fish within 5 minutes.
  • If 2 people are fishing on the same fishing spot, there's now a 50% chance split between the two of them to catch fish within 5 minutes.
  • If 3 people are fishing on the same fishing spot, there's now a 33% chance split between the three of them to catch fish within 5 minutes.

Alternatively, extend the time it takes to catch fish, but keep the odds the same, so it would look like this:

• If 1 person is fishing on a fishing spot, there's a 100% chance of catching fish within 5 minutes.
  • If 2 people are fishing on the same fishing spot, there's now a 100% chance of catching fish for both of them within 8 minutes.
  • If 3 people are fishing on the same fishing spot, there's now a 100% chance of catching fish for the three of them within 10 minutes.

I believe this eliminates the balance issues that you pointed out because people will feel inclined to seek other fishing opportunities elsewhere if a certain fishing spot is occupied by too many people, thus creating fishing roleplay all over the state. This is the best of both worlds, in my opinion.

Edited by Shaderz
2 hours ago, Shaderz said:

Create the need to move to another fishing spot if one is overly populated. This is an issue that fishers come across daily. If a fishing spot has too many people on it trying to catch the same fish, they usually try to find another less populated one to increase their odds of catching fish. I, as someone who does go fishing occasionally as a hobby, have had to do this before.

So, perhaps change the way the script works, so the more people are gathered (and fishing via the script, not just loitering around) in a single fishing spot, the odds of them catching fish decrease.

I don't know how exactly the script works in terms of timing, but for the sake of this suggestion, let's assume there's by default a 100% chance of catching fish within 5 minutes. With the changes I'm proposing, it would look something like this:

• If 1 person is fishing on a fishing spot, there's a 100% chance to catch fish within 5 minutes.
  • If 2 people are fishing on the same fishing spot, there's now a 50% chance split between the two of them to catch fish within 5 minutes.
  • If 3 people are fishing on the same fishing spot, there's now a 33% chance split between the three of them to catch fish within 5 minutes.

Alternatively, extend the time it takes to catch fish, but keep the odds the same, so it would look like this:

• If 1 person is fishing on a fishing spot, there's a 100% chance of catching fish within 5 minutes.
  • If 2 people are fishing on the same fishing spot, there's now a 100% chance of catching fish for both of them within 8 minutes.
  • If 3 people are fishing on the same fishing spot, there's now a 100% chance of catching fish for the three of them within 10 minutes.

I believe this eliminates the balance issues that you pointed out because people will feel inclined to seek other fishing opportunities elsewhere if a certain fishing spot is occupied by too many people, thus creating fishing roleplay all over the state. This is the best of both worlds, in my opinion.

This is a very interesting solution in my opinion. Just make it you can only fish at the pier in the city but if theirs a bunch of people you're screwed. That way people will disperse. Out of just basic proximity most people will go to the city one due to it being close. It polices itself.

3 hours ago, thekillergreece said:

Agree this this as well.

Edited by Tickle

Who cares if it’s busy? The Santa Monica Pier is super busy with fishers. I’ve been there and done it myself. There’s no reason this should be limited. People in the county will fish in the county. They won’t drive to the city. It’s silly for someone who lives in the city to drive out to the county when there’s a major pier right in the city. Do your research, there’s plenty of fish species to be caught from the pier. They’ve done it to solve a problem via OOC means, that’s the only reason it’s forbidden. Makes no sense. 

https://pacpark.com/fishing-santa-monica-pier/

Edited by 99
  • Wuhtah locked this topic