Revisit punishment severity

mj2002

2 minutes ago, BINGBONGGHOST said:

My favorite forum reports are the ones where admins use phrases like SICKENING and frankly DISTURBING before giving the reported party a 15 min a-jail and a handy.

🤙#throwbacktuesday🤙

Reveal hidden contents

tPsx1P9.png

Hey they were sickening and disturbing.

But also pretty please with sugar on top, if it's not too much trouble can you not do it again?

I think punishments are too lenient. I've been part of the problem before because otherwise in a sea of leniency, I am 'too harsh'. This change has to come from the top of the server in order for those below to be comfortable being able to 'administrate' how this server needs.

That being said, usually when I've banned someone, it's resulted in threats, spam, complaints, reports. It's not fun. Permanent bans should be permanent. In order for them to be permanent, the punishment scale has to change. Normalize bans for a week, normalize bans for 3 months. Normalize long as shit ajails. 15 minutes in a cement box after ruining the experience of others does next to nothing, the bigger punishment of that is actually having it on your record.

[ In case of an investigation by any federal entity or similar (staff mgmt), I do not have any involvement with this group or with the people in it, I do not know how I am here, probably added by a third party, I do not support any actions by the members of this group. ]

Edited by honey.
  • Upvote 3
  • Applaud 2
39 minutes ago, Sniper said:

"There is a balance, and it needs to go further into one direction."

You sound like a fucking Sith Lord.

0/10 needs more analysing and addressing of root causes and less arbitrary punishment

This is a different discussion. This concerns not new punishments for new offenses, but a change to the severity of existing punishments. I agree that there is always an opportunity to analyse, research, and find ways in which to prevent players from becoming in the first place. However, you'll always have people who somehow find a way. For these instances, we currently have somewhat of a standard of punishment, and in my view, this is too lenient.

To summarize, what you see being punished with an ajail now, in my view, should be a temporary ban.

32 minutes ago, BINGBONGGHOST said:

My favorite forum reports are the ones where admins use phrases like SICKENING and frankly DISTURBING before giving the reported party a 15 min a-jail and a handy.

🤙#throwbacktuesday🤙

Reveal hidden contents

tPsx1P9.png

I appreciate the feedback, but please avoid individual examples here, since this usually leads to a discussion that ends up with a closed thread.

Edited by mj2002

I don't want to say too much but what I will say is that many people in the admin team agree with the overall concept that punishments are too lenient. The issue is that those of us that are not lenient are either burned out from being staff reported all the time and getting harassed by the friends of players we take action against, as well as waiting for final warnings to expire for being too harsh. I do wish I could be stricter a lot of the time but like many other admins that share my opinion, we just can't be as staff reports do not go in our favor. Those few times you actually see 60 minute ajails, temp bans and permanent bans look good at first but they often get overturned entirely or reduced. There are complaints about the burden of proof being very high for reporting players but admins need as much evidence as possible or we risk decisions being overturned. 

I encourage you guys to bring up this issue through the right channels courteously and constructively. I've been attempting to along with other admins through our own channels over the past few months. Having the support of players might actually help our points be stronger. Please don't turn this into a shitshow where everyone is hurling insults at each other or calling specific people out. That's what gets these kinds of issues tossed out and ignored.

Edited by Keane
fixed spelling
  • Applaud 1
7 minutes ago, Keane said:

I don't want to say too much but what I will say is that many people in the admin team agree with the overall concept that punishments are too lenient. The issue is that those of us that are not lenient are either burned out from being staff reported all the time and getting harassed by the friends of players we take action against, as well as waiting for final warnings to expire for being too harsh. I do wish I could be stricter a lot of the time but like many other admins that share my opinion, we just can't be as staff reports do not go in our favor. Those few times you actually see 60 minute ajails, temp bans and permanent bans look good at first but they often get overturned entirely or reduced. There are complaints about the burden of proof being very high for reporting players but admins need as much evidence as possible or we risk decisions being overturned. 

I encourage you guys to bring up this issue through the right channels courteously and constructively. I've been attempting to along with other admins through our own channels over the past few months. Having the support of players might actually help our points be stronger. Please don't turn this into a shitshow where everyone is hurling insults at each other or calling specific people out. That's what gets these kinds of issues tossed out and ignored. 

All of the above.

We punish adequately, we get staff reported and/or harrassed and it usually ends with a reduction or withdrawal of the punishment unless we as admins really put our foot down on our punishments, which I always try to do when I'm approached about something. 

If the community wants harsher punishments, and if the admins want harsher punishments, I don't think we should be as lenient on players as we currently are.

12 minutes ago, Keane said:

This is private server, players are not entitled for anything here. It's all voluntary, staff included. We either play by the rules or we don't. There is no middle ground. People only act gangsta on internet, they are not as gangsta in reality.

Edited by Engelbert