jail or ban everyone looting corpses during or soon after a crime scene (ESPECIALLY IF COPS ARE THERE)

5 minutes ago, 99 said:

Ok so if it’s against the rules, then there’s an underlying issue. WHY aren’t people reporting it? In-game reports don’t always get answered. Sometimes forum reports take forever to be concluded. Understandably so, there’s hundreds of players and not hundreds of Admins. So how can the system be improved so people are encouraged to report these incidents more often? 

The question of why the people aren't reporting it should go to the people. I handled my second in-game report relating to looting and the player the report was submitted against was punished accordingly. The lenght of a forum player report should have no affect on the matter, since it still gets handled and players choose not to report willingly.

1 minute ago, dawpi said:

The question of why the people aren't reporting it should go to the people.

personally i think probably because it doesnt get witnessed very often, kinda like car theft

not only do you have to actually see it happen, if you dont manage to get a nametag out of it youre shit out of luck unless you want an admin to go digging through logs for you

i would also imagine to most people its not worth the trouble

On 10/7/2021 at 7:09 PM, Queen said:

personally i think probably because it doesnt get witnessed very often, kinda like car theft

not only do you have to actually see it happen, if you dont manage to get a nametag out of it youre shit out of luck unless you want an admin to go digging through logs for you

i would also imagine to most people its not worth the trouble

the real answer is not worth the trouble.

You see Andre_Andreson run up and loot a dead body. Your options are:

a) /report and wait potentially 30-45 minutes in Davis with a big target painted on your back for a admin to show up. It's often so late after the incident you may get told to go the forums anyway.

b) Forum report them for looting, which requires me uploading my shadowplay, writing out a report, posting it, then monitoring and replying to it. All for 3 seconds of a dude running by looting a body which really doesn't even effect me.

None of this is worth my time, nor anyone elses, I imagine. I'm almost inclined to ask if the current looting system is even worth having at this point.

Edited by bartman
  • Upvote 1
13 hours ago, bartman said:

a) /report and wait potentially 30-45 minutes in Davis with a big target painted on your back for a admin to show up. It's often so late after the incident you may get told to go the forums anyway.

You don't actually have to wait for anything. When making a /report, include all the information you have at this time. If you have a name tag, include that, otherwise a timestamp, or perhaps the name of the character that was looted from. Administrators can check the logs to see who looted what, when, and who initially dropped the item. An administrator might ask you questions when taking the /report, but if you include all you know initially, then they have something to go on. You do not have to wait at the scene when you do /report. It doesn't require a forum report, and even if it gets to that, a video isn't necessarily needed because every single transfer (dropping, picking up, giving, placing in cars, etc) of an item is recorded in the logs.

Remember, the quality of the overall community and the experience for all players depends on everyone doing their part; Abiding by the rules and reporting when you witness someone else breaking the rules. is it easier to let things slide because you can't be bothered? Yes, of course. In the short term, it is easier. In the long term, it is harmful to everyone here who is serious about roleplay.

Edited by mj2002

I'm gonna just shamelessly quote the above:

On 10/11/2021 at 7:02 AM, mj2002 said:

Remember, the quality of the overall community and the experience for all players depends on everyone doing their part; Abiding by the rules and reporting when you witness someone else breaking the rules. is it easier to let things slide because you can't be bothered? Yes, of course. In the short term, it is easier. In the long term, it is harmful to everyone here who is serious about roleplay.

Here's the big issue: We can't jail or ban these people if they don't get reported.

If you don't report these people, then nothing's gonna get done about it. I understand that reports in general can take forever to handle in-game but not reporting these people is gonna result in them essentially getting away with their unrealistic behaviour.

TLDR; report the looters so we can take action.

Edited by Seanny
  • Upvote 1

Like has been said by other people, a big problem with this sort of thing is how little it will actually be spotted by anyone. Maybe some sort of admin alert, the same way I've seen with certain weapons or car breakins. To get past the large amount of false alarms that'd cause, maybe add some kind of command that ignores that alert for coroners, FD, detectives, etc. Even if it's not to jump and spectate to, it gives some evidence to point to if that particular player is spotted looting multiple bodies frequently.
Edit: Ideally the "command" looting would still be logged, just not publicly in admin chat until it's looked into. Something like a command to pull up an index of the most recent x# player-body inventory interactions.

Edited by LizziePup
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 9:02 AM, mj2002 said:

You don't actually have to wait for anything. When making a /report, include all the information you have at this time. If you have a name tag, include that, otherwise a timestamp, or perhaps the name of the character that was looted from. Administrators can check the logs to see who looted what, when, and who initially dropped the item. An administrator might ask you questions when taking the /report, but if you include all you know initially, then they have something to go on. You do not have to wait at the scene when you do /report. It doesn't require a forum report, and even if it gets to that, a video isn't necessarily needed because every single transfer (dropping, picking up, giving, placing in cars, etc) of an item is recorded in the logs.

That's not necessarily the right way to go about this. Yes, reporting can certainly weed out the few bad apples, but does it really do that? Let's say that you do report someone - most of the time, they'll just be slapped with one (or multiple) warning(s). Even if they get an admin jail, they'll just wait it out. If they get banned, they appeal and continue. Knowing from past role-play servers, rule-breakers are usually repeat offenders. Even if the report is successful, it likely won't influence their behavior. Now, there's also the chance that you don't have any evidence of them doing anything, and it's likely that the admins won't be able to pull it out of nowhere - plenty of reports are locked because of lack of evidence. If you do, you can expect that report to take days, weeks, even months. There are also lots of cases in which reports are tossed due to too much time having passed since. If the report is only handled after a month, that player has already had the time to destroy and influence other people's development, have their fun, maybe even leave. What I'm trying to say is that there are tons of aspects standing in the way of successfully changing someone's behavior through a forum report and history is our best proof that this system only works up to a point - it weeds out the worst apples, but leaves plenty of bad ones in the system.

People notice a ton of rule-breaking every day. If people were to report everything they see, they'd probably be marginalized for doing so and it would also dramaticaly increase the admins' workload - besides, they wouldn't have any time left to play if every day started with 1 hour of responding to yesterday's reports, 1 hour of playing and 2 hours of uploading evidence, creating topics and writing descriptions, explanations and gathering names for victims, witnesses and offenders after you saw someone RP fear improperly, someone not RP-ing a crash, someone else skipping a crash, reporting someone for being toxic, another one for looting, one for bad English, another one for suspicion of bug abuse and so on. And let's not even get started on RPQM reports.

I'm not talking about looting in particular, but rather reporting in general. I'd truly like to see some major improvements in this area, as I feel like the current system is not good enough.