Character Abandonment

Chuckles

On 10/7/2021 at 4:17 PM, Chuckles said:

I get that players are given the freedom to do what they want but I don't think I'm the only one who's sick of having to disregard a scene, storyline or situation because a player's abandoned their character with no reason to, no resources to and no background or history to. I feel that namechanging mid-sequence is one of the most detrimental things to a character's, a faction's and the server's continuation. Now, I'm not looking this to be turned into a rule but I think I'd like to hear the perspective of others in relation to this issue.

I don't know how this can be fixed with a rule, if you forbid one character to be namechanged - the person will just go inactive and use another slot. 

My personal opinion on this, and it ties back to what you said in the last few posts - people don't like being in the losing end of anything on their character as they don't think it adds up to the development of their character's persona. And like on any game, changing a name and going the other route when you don't like something is the way to go. It's more the people than the game/rules/script limitations, it'd have to be a good rule written to fix this as it's been happening on practically every roleplay community since forever.

Nothing to really discuss there, as OP's main subject is about people that abandon their characters in the middle of an active roleplay event that engulfs not only their characters but possibly a dozen more and they're a key player in that event. Honestly there should be a rule about hopping characters when you're in an active chain of events that requires your character's presence. 

Wouldn't mind of X disappeared due to IRL issues, this is a game after all, but if they dipped just to be active on a different character I'll probably be irritated by that move.

I kinda understand, I did abandon few of my characters in the past, mainly because I take long breaks from roleplaying, due to my irl jobs.

So when I come back I often find people who used to rp with my characters dead, missing or quit the server. So I either continue as long as there is a single person, who remembers my character. If not, I will rename them and start a new concept.

• Wuhtah locked this topic