what is illegal rp missing?

ZaE

People say they want longevity but a fraction of a second later they state that they want more character kills. These two outcomes are contrasting and parallel to their end result. You can't have longevity if you want every kill to be a character kill, it not only thins the ranks of every faction but removes the consistency and stability from what gives a faction continuation. What I will say is that overall, there is a clear lack of focus on individuality. And by individuality I don't mean that it is specific to characters, but factions too. The foremost focus from most factions is conflict, selling drugs and selling weapons to pollute their thread with patronizing posts. There is very little independence from faction members in general and at times I feel like I'm looking at roleplay coming from a generator. 

Self-sufficiency has always been a problem wherever you go. I would much rather see creativity, independence and industrious characters over characters who are one dimensional. Somebody touched on it above but I can't recall who now that I'm replying, but I'd much rather see dissidence and inner-conflict over these drug and gun tug-of-wars. As far as concepts, there's nothing you could say is missing. But how people portray these concepts is where the root of the problem comes from. I think like most of the areas on the server, enforcement is a problem. Certain grey areas allow for OOC rules to dictate the IC landscape because of the contingency they're offered if something goes wrong.

Truth of the matter is, enforcement allows for everything to be as blood-and-thunder as it is which contributes to the lack of longevity and continuation. In a world where, by law, official gangs can terrorize and oppress any unofficial faction, regardless of concept or location, is what coerces a lot of these factions with potential into "bubbles" or closure. What I think the illegal sector of roleplay is missing is certainty and breathing space. 

• Upvote 3

Tbh, just.. realistic portrayal of either sides. People are too quick to use the gun to solve any problems. they have no fear for their lives.

Killing people is a thing that causes breakdowns in most people. Only the actual insane people would feel no remorse over it but who the fuck would want to be near them?

• Upvote 1

I think the main issue is that there are too many factions. Groups of 5-10 players tend to create their own factions instead of joining the existing ones. Then you end up having around 5 or even more factions in the same district but you barely see anyone active in those streets.

No clue why it keeps on happening, maybe creating a faction became way too easy and even when a group fails, they can create a new one with the same concept over and over again.

1 hour ago, Anders said:

Tbh, just.. realistic portrayal of either sides. People are too quick to use the gun to solve any problems. they have no fear for their lives.

Killing people is a thing that causes breakdowns in most people. Only the actual insane people would feel no remorse over it but who the fuck would want to be near them?

That's what GTA is about, I'm not here to develop my character for months until he's brought into illegal side of roleplay, not gonna force my character to either puke or take pills when he kills someone.

Speaking from the perspective of someone who has led an illegal faction for a long time and someone who is roleplaying a gang investigator, more longevity! So many factions come and go so fast, need more character development and longevity in the gang scene.

Less basis in OOC cliques. I get it; you want to RP with your friends/people you know to RP to your standards. Also some concepts just require a bit of OOC planning to launch. That all said; when I can tell who is OOC friends with who, and who's in discord/VC, just based on how characters are interacting IG? That's a problem.

I'd also like to see characters from different factions interact more; especially gangs, etc. I think insular criminal RP where you only really engage with your faction members when not committing crimes is a bit underwhelming.

Illegal roleplay in general isn't missing anything, players have absolute freedom within expected boundaries in a roleplay environment to be as creative as they want to be. Too often players either escalate situations poorly or made a poor decision to end situations prematurely, however this isn't only limited to illegal roleplay as it happens with legal roleplay as well, it just occurs more on the illegal side as people tend to look to PK people out of situations to "win" instead of following up multiple scenarios that provide a good amount of roleplay to all sides. This again, isn't limited to illegal roleplay, but often times I feel like people forget the basic concept of what roleplay is, its having fun engaging with other players and not rushing to see who can PK who first, how fast they can grind for that Comet, or getting "revenge" no matter what.

What I would like to see personally would be people spending more effort trying to involve themselves in more unique roleplay instead of trying to be the most nefarious. There's many illegal activities you can get yourself involved in and it doesn't need to include conflict, working in the shadows and providing a smiley face as a front is far more interesting than a PK war in a lot of cases, unless the war had some really good buildup behind it. There are of course also times when characters will feel other types of emotion as they're only human, they should feel scared, sad, lonely, having a mid life crisis, other habits that don't involve being a drug addict, and a lot of characters seem to either not wish to roleplay these, forget, or just don't care.

I'd like to finish by saying that there are plenty of really good illegal roleplayers on the server, and should be acknowledged as such. While there are things lacking in the illegal scene, there's just as much if not more lacking in legal.

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic