[LSNN] Interview with Chief of Police Branch Goodwater

Ace_

5yHwzO3.png

Y8l4IDT.png

Interview with Chief of Police Branch Goodwater

BY SIMON CAHILL

Los Santos, SA - On 3rd October 2021, Simon Cahill conducted an interview with Chief of Police Branch Goodwater. This is the written version of the interview which was held on air, in the LSNN studio.

tRalGzP.png

Simon Cahill and Branch Goodwater in the studio

Simon Cahill: Good evening Chief Goodwater! Welcome to our studio.

Branch Goodwater: Thank you, Simon. It truly is a pleasure to be here with you this evening.

Simon Cahill: The pleasure is mine, Chief. We've got a lot of topics to talk about tonight, as law enforcement is always a "hot" topic in San Andreas! However, before we talk about work-related things, can you please tell us, who is Branch Goodwater privately, when you aren't involved in work-related duties?

Branch Goodwater: Well, I do my very best to separate my life at home from my life here at work. I try to balance my duties in the office, with my duties in my personal life. One could call me a "lover of life", going on outdoor adventures, paddle boarding with the sea lions off the coast, things like that. But truly, spending time with my friends and family would be my biggest hobby. 

Simon Cahill: That sounds like lovely hobbies, Branch, may I call you Branch? 

Branch Goodwater: By all means. We're all friends here.

Simon Cahill: Ah, I will remember this sentence next time I get pulled over by the LSPD and trust me, I will get pulled over! 

Branch Goodwater: You wouldn't be the first! I've been pulled over myself, and it is always a rather entertaining experience.

Simon Cahill: Chief, you've recently got appointed on a very responsible position, that being Chief of Police. Are you satisfied with the way the Department has been "handed" to you, or are there certain changes that you want to make now?

Branch Goodwater: I wouldn't say that there are many significant changes that need to be made, per se. The last thing I would do, or want to do, is come into this position and stop the motions that previous leadership put forth. Satisfied is a relative term to begin with, for it is not myself that I'm representing. It is the satisfaction of our communities and the Officers of our department that matters to me most.

Simon Cahill: LSPD's motto says: "To protect and to Serve". Do you believe that Los Santos can be considered a safe city, and are your officers successful in lowering the crime rate in the city? 

Branch Goodwater: Well, our crime rates have fluctuated quite a bit in recent time. We monitor trends closely, and we allocate resources just as appropriately as we can to deter these crimes from happening. Los Santos is a beautiful town, but just like any municipality, there is, and there will be, crime. I'd be confident in saying that our wonderful department has done a fine job of both deterring and responding to our inundation of crime in recent time, yes. Furthermore, our fellow agencies in this fight have done a fine job of battling the ongoing hardships of our citizens in this regard. Can we do better? Absolutely. Are we striving and actively marching forward? Yes. We're doing the best we can. 

Simon Cahill: Are there any areas of the city where police can not enter due to safety reasons, such as certain "ghetto" areas, or is this just a myth?

Branch Goodwater: We have many different divisions and teams within our department that specialize in responses to crime-ridden neighborhoods. There are certainly areas in our city that are more dangerous than others, and we take every precaution possible to ensure the safety of the community members in those areas. That'd be both for response to calls for service, or just general patrol in those areas. So, ultimately the answer is - no. We have been in these areas, we will continue to be in these areas, and we will continue to serve the citizens thereof. 

Simon Cahill: In your opinion, how can we, together, police officers and citizens, motivate the youth to the right path in life, instead of taking shortcuts and involving themselves in crime? What can be done so they don't have criminals as idols? Does the LSPD plan to hold seminars and presentations in order to educate the youth?

Branch Goodwater: Truly, the best way to get to the heart and mind of a child, is to give them the tools they need to be successful and healthy. I'm proud of our unique teams that have this very notion in mind. Whether it be our Community Engagement Division, or Gang Enforcement Division. These men and women are out on the town, day and night, doing whatever they can to point our city's youth a favorable direction. And that isn't just enforcement, by the way. Not every stop our officers make is for the purpose of enforcement, per se. I remember my days on the road, where we'd come across a young man or woman out at 3 AM in the morning. No crime committed or anything like that, but instead of treating them like some sort of criminal simply based on the neighborhood they're in, we'd offer them a ride. Ask them how they're doing. Maybe buy them breakfast. So, I'm proud to say that the answer to that question is yes. We are reaching out to our city's youth, and we are trying to do our part in nurturing them for a better future. 

Simon Cahill: I've also heard that your officers are interacting with the citizens, that's truly beautiful. Talking about your days on the road, can you tell us an anecdote from those days? The most interesting situation that you've faced while patroling the streets? Furthermore, you've reached the peak in your career. Was it difficult to rise up the ranks and reach your current, highest position?

Branch Goodwater: Well, one particular situation comes to mind, and it is certainly something I'll never forget. In the early morning hours, some years ago of course. We had a pursuit that ended inside of the parking garage just down the street from this studio, right near North Rockford and San Andreas. It was a red car, I'll never forget it. The driver exited the vehicle, and walked himself up onto a ledge. While I was never part of our Crisis Negotiation Team, something had to be done there, and then, without undue delay. I spoke with the man, offered him reassurance, found common ground, and was able to walk him off of that ledge. Not only that, but before we initiated our detainment, I embraced him with a very long and tearful hug. That truly was the most precious on-duty interaction I've ever had in my patrol career. But, in relation to my progression to this position, I wouldn't say it was necessarily hard. As, hard is a relative term. It definitely took some time, seeing as I'm fifty something years old these days. 

Simon Cahill: You're fifty something? What a surprise, I thought you're 30!

Branch Goodwater: Oh, please. Self-care is very important, what can I say! But, it definitely took a lot of hard work, all supported by my colleagues who share a common purpose.

Simon Cahill: I've always had positive experiences with the LSPD. I conducted analysis regarding citizens' opinion about the LSPD. Many citizens trust the LSPD when it comes to safety and protection, with mostly positive encounters. Allow me to ask, what are the standards and the procedures that one officer has to maintain in order to continue a successful career in the LSPD?

Branch Goodwater: Well, firstly, I must say that I am proud of each and every one of our law enforcement officers that we have the pleasure of employing. But when it comes to maintaining a professional standard, there are many facets that contribute to a successful and commendable career. And that all starts with the inherent nature of caring for our fellow man, woman, or child. One cannot be a successful peace officer without putting others before themselves. It just cannot be done. For standards, we have many. And if one is to fall short, we either re-train or re-qualify that officer to ensure they're up to standard. We have many mechanisms in which we ensure the quality of our work, be it through written testing or practical application. We strive to ensure that our actions are documented, our shortcomings are remedied, and that we continue to improve on our own faults.

Simon Cahill: Are you an advocate for more arrests, or you'd rather take the more educative approach, educative traffic stops and so on? What happens when it's up to the officer's discretion, would you rather advocate for an arrest to take place? What are your views on punishment versus rehabilitation?

Branch Goodwater: I believe rehabilitation is a very important facet of our jobs. However, sometimes an arrest need be made prior to rehabilitation being possible. We cannot turn a blind eye to some of these things, but sometimes, in the interest of justice, there are other ways of us completing our mission of making our city a safer place. 

Simon Cahill: On 26th September 2021, an anonymous petition advocating for District Attorney Melanie Cromwell's resignation has shown up on the internet on a petition website. The petition remained anonymous for a while, until two days later, when officer Rafael Videla employed in the Los Santos Police Department came forward as the person who started the petition. To remind the citizens - LSPD GED officer behind the petition on District Attorney Melanie Cromwell; "There are 118 signatures so far, we want State-wide elections for the DA position", officer says. On 28th September 2021, LSNN conducted an interview with Mr. Videla. "A total of 35 LSPD employees of various ranks signed", says Officer Videla. "The reason for the petition is simple, District Attorney Cromwell has shown all of us citizens of the State of San Andreas that she doesn't seem to truly want to uphold the values of the office she holds", said Officer Videla amongst other things. A Resolution to Establish the Special Committee on Prosecutorial Investigations: "There are over 100 signatures, this is a public outcry from those we represent", says Republican Senator Rossi. Democratic Senator Marty Haney agreed with Republican Senator Adrian Rossi, further stating that he himself has also signed the petition. Without objection, President Pro Tempore of the State Senate Noah Wade proceed to voting. With 5 YAYs, 0 NAYs and 0 abstained votes, the Resolution got adopted without any opposition. What is your comment on Officer Vidala's petition and the situations afterwards?

Branch Goodwater: That is a lot of information to answer to, Simon, but I have a very simple answer to reflect my stance on it. First and foremost, I am not a politician. I serve the members of my community and my department. There are certain things that I cannot control, like an employee of my department speaking out when they felt it was right to do so. As peace officers, we are to be impartial in all aspects of our job. We should not lean one way or another. If the public wishes for these things to occur, then I rely on our city officials and state senate to see it through. All I know is that this department wants to continue working with the District Attorney's office to ensure our city becomes safer and safer each and every day. Whilst I may be the Chief of Police, I am nothing but a man. Similar to whomever holds a similar position in our judicial system. I wish not for any maliciousness due to this apparent uprising, but only wish that there will be peaceful resolve in the end that serves our community over all else. 

Simon Cahill: What are your views on the firearm accessibility in Los Santos?

Branch Goodwater: I believe the rights of our citizens are not to be infringed, and that we are doing everything we can to ensure the second amendment isn't violated. As you know, I'm sure, there was a recent lawsuit citing the processes of our Firearms Licensing Division, acting on behalf of our state's handling of firearms. It was determined that these processes did, in fact, make the process of possession a firearm more difficult than it should have been. As I mentioned before, we continuously effort to improve on our faults, and that particular situation was a win for the second amendment, and we've been adjusting our policies accordingly. 

Simon Cahill: Branch, thank you for being our guest tonight. It has been a pleasure.

Branch Goodwater: Oh, it has most certainly been a pleasure for me as well, Simon. Very happy to have been invited to your program.

Y8l4IDT.png

vBDvzT0.png

> Comments are enabled

Username: 

Comment:

• Upvote 4

Username:  causticlyx

Comment: This guy is so full of shit just humble bragging as if he's some hero and then claiming rehabilitation is important when the county jail is jam packed full of repeat offenders. The only thing being rehabilitated in there is the idea that pigs could be trusted in anyway.

Username: womanhater71
Comment: you can't rehabilitate me, no matter how many times you send me inside for beating women i will never change you filthy pig. i defy you and your attempts to "cure" me, women were created to be abused by sigmas like me. fuck 12 and god i hate women. i will punch every female cop you send after me in their face, you understand?

On 10/5/2021 at 8:58 PM, L I C E said:

Username: womanhater71
Comment: you can't rehabilitate me, no matter how many times you send me inside for beating women i will never change you filthy pig. i defy you and your attempts to "cure" me, women were created to be abused by sigmas like me. fuck 12 and god i hate women. i will punch every female cop you send after me in their face, you understand?

Username: hategroupofLS

Comment: heyyy dude. We're also against women and wanna join your cause. Most definitely gonna need your address so we can all share our thoughts and all, and then go on some crazy rampage. Send us your house details man, we gonna come and go hard in this shit, we a group of haters too