why does the city feel dead?

ZaE

Exterior of the city is dead for sure.  There are no hubs, which seems to be an active choice to avoid the so-called "mall rats".  So all we got is a big city with lots of empty space and RP mostly happening inside.  Makes it pretty hard to actually meet new people ICly, especially if bars/clubs don't fit your character's personality.  I had the most fun out in the county actually.  Because it has smaller...smaller....um...."places that people might be" (definitely not hubs), it's easier to actually MEET people, and have random, spontaneous RP.

Edited by Paenymion
1 minute ago, Paenymion said:

Exterior of the city is dead for sure.  There are no hubs, which seems to be an active choice to avoid the so-called "mall rats".  So all we got is a big city with lots of empty space and RP mostly happening inside.  Makes it pretty hard to actually meet new people ICly, especially if bars/clubs don't fit your character's personality.  I had the most fun out in the county actually.  Because it has smaller...smaller....um...."places that people might be" (definitely not hubs), it's easier to actually MEET people, and have random, spontaneous RP.

the country is where the best people RP.

2 hours ago, ZaE said:

if someone tries to do that they will end up robbing a girl with cat ears who pulls out a smith & weason and shoots them fifteen times

Nah, I roleplay a junkie who pickpockets people and 95% of the time people won't allow you the success AT ALL.

9 hours ago, Vash Baldeus said:

The issue is, that the admins of old that used to be here are gone, things have changed. Admins became more tolerant to people breaking the rules, I am somewhat of a Veteran player here. I came here when GTAW started way back in 2017. Back then, we were on GT-MP a descendant of GTA Network (was intended as a Singleplayer Co-Op mode for the Story, turned into a full game client, was one of the first alongside FiveM, but was the worst one performance wise), both GT-MP & GTA Network suffered from similar issues, notably was the low fps on top of lack of features and constant crashes.

Around 2018, if I recall right. GT-MP was somewhat on sale by the 3rd or 4th owner who wanted to sell it, Nervous at the time was gathering funds to buy it. A known hacker by the handle Julice purchased the project for far more than what Nervous agreed with the owner at the time. Nervous almost closed GTAW due to that, though a month or two later the transition to RageMP took place.

During those times Admins here were way more strict on what was okay and what was not. Moreover last year in May~July 2020, the Epic Store was giving GTA V away from free, we had a LARGE influx of new players, and you could see ban-waves take place all the time. Now a days, people break the rules, get admin-jail, break it again, temp ban. Also, Permanent bans don't even stand up to their name, I've known people who came back after a month or so.

As I see it, the bad apples, the new guys are the ones causing the trouble, without thinking of the consequences of their actions when they go on a robbery spree. I fully understand that they are new and need to learn, but lets be honest, if they break the rules once, they are bound to do it again (not all cases repeat their mistakes, but the majority does). What I am saying, people who broke the rules several times, should not be allowed back for at least 6 months cool-down (admin can determine longer period at his discretion and severity of the offense) period before they can appeal it if a Permanent Ban was handed down not a MONTH later.

People I know who were banned, for minor issues were not allowed back onto the server for over 6 months before they could appeal, yet, people who break the rules constantly are allowed to appeal in a month or less depending on case. I wonder why that's how it is, something has to change.

Back on topic after I explained my point of view on the potential reasons why people do not roleplay outside. I have a friend who is the owner of Guns Direct store in La Mesa, he made a somewhat of a fort knox out of the parking area, reason being petty criminals coming in in attempts to steal a car or two. People who go to steal a car at a location such as this should know, that the customers and staff are Armed, meaning there is a high chance of you loosing your life there. People who go there to rob a car, do not think ahead enough to consider the consequences and character development reasons to go there to try and get a car to chop. High risk high reward, yet, why people do it, not for character development, for the OOC loot in the form of car parts they can use to make switch blades and other weapons they can sell for Money.

Similar thing can be said about Drug dealers, majority of the time when I heard someone try to get drugs, they were either scammed, robbed or they got the drugs but ended up being tailed by the dealer and robbed after they already paid for the drugs. Those do it for the thrill, as if it's GTA:O, which it is not.

The approach of how Admins handle constant rule breakers and how Law Enforcement reacts to 911 calls regarding theft. One thing is certain Rental cars either have to be off limits for use for a robbery or the way Rentals work has to change, meaning even if the car de-spawned the plate it had and who rented it out remains in the System allowing cops to track it down. Lease vehicles that you get for $500 at the airport, should be limited to being sold & taken away once you reached 40 hours of play time on the character. Why? By 40 hours you have enough money to afford a mid-range car price wise, there are plenty of sub 100k cars that are good performers along with low maintenance fee.

Lest I forget, we should not forget the people who drive UP CLOSE to you while you're in your car just to see the name tag, even if you have level 1 tint (limo grade tint! you can't see in unless you use a flashlight up close), which in essence is somewhat of a Metagame move. Majority of the issues I raised here are contributors to WHY people do not roleplay out doors that much, they do not want to become easy prey for the chain robbers.

This pretty much sums up my experience. In the first two years, the server was much more chill and much more serious. The standard was much, and I mean much, higher than it is now, and enforced. Now South LS is a shit show (yes I'll point that out, the majority there isn't a bad player, don't claim I said that, but too many characters there die and CK/NC for a healthy environment, even if focused on hostility and gang interactions). Too many players don't care one bit about their character and are only out to get into IC conflict because they're banned on GTA Online or are bored of yelling on CS:GO (or that's what it feels like). Admins these days throw it on: "We're a teaching community" and I'm all for that, to a point, we can all make mistakes and improve ourselves. Permanent bans however should be (close to) permanent, they're called that for a reason. Or at least they should have a somewhat permanent nature. Players who receive these permabans, have proven to break rules consistently and repeatedly, despite warnings, admin jails and temporary bans, usually over short periods of time.

The above has affected how players deal with where they roleplay. The crime rate is ridiculously high, this is IC knowledge. We as players are collectively breaking fear RP by even playing on the server, like it or not. So, characters do not go out much, cause why would they risk it?

in real life LA, there's a population of 3.967 million. On the server, let's be generous, we have a population of 10,000, spread over multiple time zones. In LA, in 2019 (pre-covid to provide an honest comparison, it has flared up badly since), there were around 250 murders with this year possibly going well beyond 350. Statistically then the server should have 0.6 - 0.8 murders every year (according to my botched calculation). Sure, this is a game, but it shows just how much focus there is on conflict, because surely, GTAW surpasses the 250 number within, let's again be generous, a month. Murder should be the absolute last resort, but it is far from that currently. If people would focus on roleplay more and worry about giving someone else an enjoyable experience instead of classifying being knocked out as "losing" and killing someone as "winning", or even other players as mallrats and whatever other terms there are to excuse their prejudiced opinion of any and all other categories of roleplay, that would already help massively.

Yes, even early on, people formed groups and they roleplayed inside, but people didn't fear being outside (and thus were regularly there) because of the plague of bikes with black ninjas on them, or as that is now disallowed, Premier SS's and other black sedans.

Edit: From what I've read so far, my next character, if any, will be living in the county, although that's hardly viable as too many people there would not work with the lack of properties to be called home. RV's are only so effective, as they are often on the scrap list and get yoinked for no good IC reason.

Edited by Triple Seven
1 minute ago, Triple Seven said:

This pretty much sums up my experience. In the first two years, the server was much more chill and much more serious. The standard was much, and I mean much, higher than it is now, and enforced. Now South LS is a shit show (yes I'll point that out, the majority there isn't a bad player, don't claim I said that, but too many characters there die and CK/NC for a healthy environment, even if focused on hostility and gang interactions). Too many players don't care one bit about their character and are only out to get into IC conflict because they're banned on GTA Online or are bored of yelling on CS:GO (or that's what it feels like). Admins these days throw it on: "We're a teaching community" and I'm all for that, to a point, we can all make mistakes and improve ourselves. Permanent bans however should be (close to) permanent, they're called that for a reason. Or at least they should have a somewhat permanent nature. Players who receive these permabans, have proven to break rules consistently and repeatedly, despite warnings, admin jails and temporary bans, usually over short periods of time.

The above has affected how players deal with where they roleplay. The crime rate is ridiculously high, this is IC knowledge. We as players are collectively breaking fear RP by even playing on the server, like it or not. So, characters do not go out much, cause why would they risk it?

in real life LA, there's a population of 3.967 million. On the server, let's be generous, we have a population of 10,000, spread over multiple time zones. In LA, in 2019 (pre-covid to provide an honest comparison, it has flared up badly since), there were around 250 murders with this year possibly going well beyond 350. Statistically then the server should have 0.6 - 0.8 murders every year (according to my botched calculation). Sure, this is a game, but it shows just how much focus there is on conflict, because surely, GTAW surpasses the 250 number within, let's again be generous, a month. Murder should be the absolute last resort, but it is far from that currently. If people would focus on roleplay more and worry about giving someone else an enjoyable experience instead of classifying being knocked out as "losing" and killing someone as "winning", or even other players as mallrats and whatever other terms there are to excuse their prejudiced opinion of any and all other categories of roleplay, that would already help massively.

Yes, even early on, people formed groups and they roleplayed inside, but people didn't fear being outside (and thus were regularly there) because of the plague of bikes with black ninjas on them, or as that is now disallowed, Premier SS's and other black sedans.

admins need to start cracking down on poorly done robberies.