why does the city feel dead?

ZaE

13 minutes ago, L I C E said:

were i to tell you the answer as to why they didn't consider this idea and express my honest opinion on the matter, i would be banned for some very choice words directed towards IFM and many of the mysterious and odd choices made by it lately. 

Unfortunately, I also have to agree with this statement.

There are so many places that could be hubs for nice chill RP.

Take the beach for example. No one goes to what is really one of the busiest beaches in the world because in all likelyhood, someone would run up all dressed in black with a pump shotgun in order to rob you of anything you have on you. (Yes, this actually happened.)

To avoid the outdoors angle (and I have been robbed just about everywhere, not even counting attempted robberies), running a business sometimes suffers from similar issues.

Some people go to a business, not to have an actual interaction with the business and other customers in good faith, but to start trouble and borderline troll. Once can be amusing, and I'm sure it's fun for the people doing it, but when it's the sixth time in a month, it gets old and can be a bit discouraging, particularly for a smaller business that depends on researching and portraying the right environment and so on.

3 minutes ago, Scorch said:

Take the beach for example. No one goes to what is really one of the busiest beaches in the world because in all likelyhood, someone would run up all dressed in black with a pump shotgun in order to rob you of anything you have on you. (Yes, this actually happened.)

I wish people just did thing like snatch purses or steal whatever people leave on their beach towels, etc. I'll gladly give my stuff to someone who does that.

52 minutes ago, ZaE said:

it’s called a sarcastic response dawg, even the locations that they’ve named I don’t see this many robberies that these people are speaking of, that’s why I’m honestly assuming y’all is cap, I also dislike how every single thread ever created someone turns into “because of the illegal community!!” so ima poke fun at everyone who auto-resorts to that.

I'd argue the people they're complaining about aren't a part of the illegal community per-say. Almost every one of these guys we stop is an alt with under 20 hours and no IC development whatsoever. It's just people making alts to go chain robbing the majority of the time so their main characters don't get in trouble.

Just now, Sush said:

I'd argue the people they're complaining about aren't a part of the illegal community per-say. Almost every one of these guys we stop is an alt with under 20 hours and no IC development whatsoever. It's just people making alts to go chain robbing the majority of the time so their main characters don't get in trouble.

yeah i agree

5 minutes ago, Scorch said:

Unfortunately, I also have to agree with this statement.

There are so many places that could be hubs for nice chill RP.

IFM has made some dogshit choices

11 hours ago, KinnyWynny said:

ironically? the fact the map is based on Los Angeles

infrastructure is geared toward cars, hard to walk anywhere, no natural communities besides a few hot spots because the only way to get anywhere is by driving, so you don’t encourage walking around, which means people don’t interact with others as frequently 

or it could be crime but tbh getting mugged while crossing the street means the city is technically very active

also being mugged is fun so

tl;dr shitty American urban planning

This. This topic has been brought up countless times on pretty much every GTA based roleplay server since it first became a thing. It really comes down to the way the city is planned out, which is based off Los Angeles. LA, like most cities located in the western US, is planned out on a grid system, which is intended to optamize the city for motor traffic and not pedestrains. Also, let's remember that LS in-game, while not nearly the size of LA, is still a pretty big city with plenty of skyscrapers and large buildings for players to occupy in way or another, add to that the county as well, populate that with only 650-800 people, and it'll feel pretty dead. Play single player GTA and you'll find the city and county were both made to be populated by thousands of NPCs, not a couple hundred players. 

So basically the issue comes down to you having a city planned in a way that primarily encourages motor traffic, so people stay in their cars and minimize their interaction with other players. Add to that the fact that even though 650-800 players is a fantastic server population by RP server standards, it still falls way far short of what the map was actually designed to support, so naturally it appears to be sparsely populated. Also, the fact that so many businesses, which would act as destinations and hot spots for player interaction are caught up in mountains of bureaucracy where ambitous business owners may be forced to wait 2-3 months or longer to get approval for an idea and by then they may have lost interest or moved on to something else (2-3 months is a LONG time in video game world). 

The result you get is less player interaction because everyone is riding around the city in cars, minimizing contact with other players, and they have a lack of locations to visit and interact with other players at, beyond the super standard stuff like bars and clubs.

4 minutes ago, peasoup said:

I wish people just did thing like snatch purses or steal whatever people leave on their beach towels, etc. I'll gladly give my stuff to someone who does that.

if someone tries to do that they will end up robbing a girl with cat ears who pulls out a smith & weason and shoots them fifteen times

1 minute ago, ZaE said:

if someone tries to do that they will end up robbing a girl with cat ears who pulls out a smith & weason and shoots them fifteen times

Okay, the purse thing maybe, but if they're on the beach, where in their bikinis do they keep the Glock?

Don't answer that.